Do You Think Kpop is Getting Worse Or Better?

• Regarding fans,I'd say they're equally as annoying :pepe-toilet:

There was a lot of blatant hate spewing even during 2nd gen,it's just that the majority of it was happening on the more niche fan groups and websites.I specifically remember one called fanpop,I don't even know if that shithole still exists lol

• I feel like musically K-Pop hasn't changed much since I started listening in 2017. I still fall in love with what my faves put out, stan some few new acts, and occasionally I discover good songs from artists other than my faves. But what I feel has changed is the impact the songs make. Like especially 2017 had A LOT of songs from many different groups and soloists that defined the 3rd gen and K-Pop as a whole. K-Pop seemed so lively and there was always so much going on, and I'm saying that as someone who, back then, wasn't even registred on any K-Pop forum or Twitter lmao But that might have something to do with macaroni idk

These days the only songs that are impactful are mostly by the top top acts. Without thinking too much (and no shade intended), I genuinely can't name songs other than like HYLT and Dynamite that really made an impact on the industry in 2020. (And Black Mamba which got downvoted to hell and became the lowest rated song in Melon history lmao my girls aespa wrote history since day 1 :pepelove2: )

But yeah, personally, as long as Taeyeon, IU, Red Velvet, Blackpink and aespa put out great music like they do, I'll still be enjoying K-Pop :pepelove1:

• I got into Kpop in 2015 and have been hearing some variation of this ever since. I think there’s a tendency to view things through a nostalgia filter about what’s good and forgetting about all the crap that was still put out at the same time.

As always, I’d suggest asking around for new recs or music in a style you like if you don’t want to get out of your comfort zone. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the bsides of a number of artists that I passed up because I didn’t care for the tt but asking their fans on here gave me some great tips. Other music threads led me to great new smaller artists that offer more diversity than what the big 4 or putting out.

That’s not just a Kpop issue, that’s the issue of any genre with rapid growth. (I did the same question asking and searching for new music to expand my hip hop listening when the mainstream was letting me down.)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I got into Kpop in 2015 and have been hearing some variation of this ever since. I think there’s a tendency to view things through a nostalgia filter about what’s good and forgetting about all the crap that was still put out at the same time.

As always, I’d suggest asking around for new recs or music in a style you like if you don’t want to get out of your comfort zone. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the bsides of a number of artists that I passed up because I didn’t care for the tt but asking their fans on here gave me some great tips. Other music threads led me to great new smaller artists that offer more diversity than what the big 4 or putting out.

That’s not just a Kpop issue, that’s the issue of any genre with rapid growth. (I did the same question asking and searching for new music to expand my hip hop listening when the mainstream was letting me down.)

This is the best answer in my opinion.

I have been listening K-pop on and off since 2005-2006. I used to be a multi who listened a lot of group, then I became a one group fan only.

During those years I got bored too, I left then I got curious to what happened to my favourites, I came back. I think I stopped listening K-pop maybe twice for 1-2 years and always found new music to like when I came back.

The beginning of this year I started to listen different group and discovered more music.

My taste in music changed too during the years, I never used to like hip hop or electric music. Now I gave chance to those too and discovered great songs.

:itzy20:

• especially with fans the rise of the internet and social media has probably perpetuated the belief that it's getting worse whereas I think it's always been there but the internet has exasperated it

and of course: the silent majority is often drowned out by the vocal minority

• especially with fans the rise of the internet and social media has probably perpetuated the belief that it's getting worse whereas I think it's always been there but the internet has exasperated it

and of course: the silent majority is often drowned out by the vocal minority

Couldn't agree more

work in progress

• Both? I dislike how some kpop companies focus their title tracks towards international trends, but they deliver with bsides becoming even more diverse.. plus nowadays is so much easier for groups both from big and small companies to share music, covers etc from all members and not just one album comeback from the most popular member :p

Stans in general have became a lot worse, I blame it mostly on how some platforms let toxic people do as they wish

• its the same. bops like love scenario, really really, and cherry bomb come and go.

enjoyed the past, anticipating the future <3

Wtf did a facepalm on this post?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!