Kai's growth

• In celebration to Kai’s second EP Peaches that will be released next week, I thought about doing a thread to look back at how much he has grown as an artist and vocalist because honestly we don’t talk enough about it. :pepenomad:

I mean we all know since debut that he is a phenomenal dancer like no doubt, but I feel like people ( especially non fans) really love to overlook how much he has grown as a vocalist.

First of all he could always sing, and i’m tired of people pretending it wasn’t the case from the start, many of you definitely would be surprised if you would knew how many EXO choruses he carried.

But he has also improved tremendously since debut.

I guess more people started to notice his vocals when the Universe album( 2017) dropped and he actually started getting PROPER lines that aren’t just 5 second sing-talking lines, because lets be honest how would you be able to show your vocals if you don’t get enough lines. It’s not because he wasn’t able to carry a tune but rather the problem is that there are too many good vocalist in EXO , and it’s sadly normal that some members aren’t able to showcase everything.

But If him covering Kyungsoo’s lines at EXO’s last tour and his solo album isn’t enough then idk :pepe-tea:

Personally Kai was one of my favorite highlights of the Obsession album, especially because I think he definitely shined the most. He finally had the chance to showcase his vocal ability and boy did he deliver every line he got. He got standout lines in Jekyll, Groove, Baby you are, Trouble and Ya Ya Ya that show his vocal dynamic compared to the one liners that lasted max 5 seconds in the older albums

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He is a smart vocalist. He knows his strengths and plays into them. He knows his range and does not venture out of it. There is just something about his honey( idk how else to describe it lmao) tone that’s so sweet and unique. His voice very soothing to listen to and it sounds somewhat comforting, really makes my ears melt :shyy:

One thing that also makes me really proud as a fan is , that he is continuously showing improvement in his vocal techniques every year and every comeback. We love and stan a hardworking man who never settles for less and even levels up his past works. I have to say its crazy how much each EXO member is still improving their skills and training when its been 9 years since they debuted even though they already so good :pepe-sad:

And now let’s talk about his solo debut, and what A DEBUT that was.

The concept, the short film, the album, the choreographies , the MV and the visuals. I couldn’t think of a better way to debut solo.   

Honestly Mmmh do I even need to say anything? It’s TITLE TRACK PERFECTION

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Like Lady Gaga once said-

"Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique"

That album is a 10/10 non skip album and the production is really something else. Seriously each instrumental is well made and sounds crisp..It’s so easy to listen to, in that it feels smooth and cohesive all the way through, and everything sounds pleasant. The mood is very sensual and even though every song is distinct enough , they compliment each other so well and the album definitely gives a clear picture of who Kai wants to be as a solo artist. The pop/r&b/hip-hop sound is perfect for his voice, he sounds absolutely amazing.

External Content open.spotify.com

Everytime I listen to his album I’m always amazed how modern and well produced it is and dare I say it’s also very unlike usual kpop productions?

He definitely nailed it with that music genre/style. It fits him so effortlessly and the way it perfectly showcased his vocals. When I heard

his falsettos in Amnesia I crieeeed and his low register in Hello Stranger is so beautiful. His vocal delivery really sells the whole album :pepe-sad:

The short film he did for all the tracks was gorgeous and showcased his dancing and charisma perfectly. Not just the short film , also the MV for Mmmh!

The whole imagery for the era was absolutely gorgeous.

Jongin really exceeded everyone's expectations with that one and Exo-ls already had high expectations. I still remember the Vlive where he broke down crying because of all the support and love his fans were giving him. The solo obviously meant the world to him, and he seemed so nervous about releasing it. It's really heartwarming to see his work pay off. :pepecute:

Honestly looking back at his artistic growth makes me so proud and I can’t wait to see what he prepared for us with Peaches

Anyways I probably could write more but I guess it’s already too long, ANTICIPATE PEACHES ON THE 30TH bye bye

797241ab9e509011c3519d2a39e61a8a0f17a75f.gifv

• you definitely would be surprised if you would knew how many EXO choruses he carried.

indeed I love how they use his voice in choruses it wouldnt be the same without him

There is just something about his honey( idk how else to describe it lmao) tone that’s so sweet and unique. His voice very soothing to listen to and it sounds somewhat comforting, really makes my ears melt :shyy:

If I am to describe his voice in one word it would be honey

:lover1:

External Content twitter.com

. We love and stan a hardworking man who never settles for less and even levels up his past works. I have to say its crazy how much each EXO member is still improving their skills and training when its been 9 years since they debuted even though they already so good :pepe-sad:

I know what EXO is capable of and my expectations are really high. But still EXO never stops amazing me. We really stan the right people

:waterr:

I realised how much he improved with Obsession but then his solo album left me speechless. DFTF was even better

I am addicted to his part in here

:omgr:

I knew his debut was going ot be good but wow... It was even better than I imagined.

EXO setting the bars too high once again

:siptear:

• Imagine doing this in your debut.

This.

• I said it before and I am saying it again

I hope there will be a ballad in the album

Preferably a romantic one

:pepeflushed:

• that groove mv removed his heaven, that's what I mean with that he finally had the chance to showcase his vocal ability :pepe-sad:

ikr his debut just blew my mind its just so so so good

tbh for me his vocals fit just as usual and one of my fave parts in the sing are his :lover1:

• omg did you hear his vocals in good night?? so dreamy and sweet I cant :waterr:

• omg did you hear his vocals in good night?? so dreamy and sweet I cant :waterr:

THIS IS WHY WE NEED A BALLAD ON THE ALBUM

KAI PLEASE

:waterr::waterr::waterr:

• I can't believe I forgot to mention Oh la la la la, his voice is perfection in this song

• His voice shines more with acoustic or minimalistic tracks

:pepe-sad:

• I can't believe I forgot to mention Oh la la la la, his voice is perfection in this song

And trauma

:lover1:

• His voice shines more with acoustic or minimalistic tracks

:pepe-sad:

now you made me miss exo even more:pepecry: it's crazy how sweet his voice sounds in these kind of songs, something like moonlight would be perfect for him

• now you made me miss exo even more:pepecry: it's crazy how sweet his voice sounds in these kind of songs, something like moonlight would be perfect for him

All I do is wait

2x

• CMB (the best song ever) was the first time Kai shined vocally for me when he does his falsetto part being with the 3 main vocalists. Then I saw that he takes "main vocals part" very often even in title tracks, that's how I thought Kai was a step higher than many vocalists. Plus his voice is undescribable, the most unique in EXO imo.

Maple thank you for this thread, you have put so much effort in it :pepecute::pepelove1::pepelove1:

• Also he did an amazing job starting runaway :pepecute:

• All I do is wait

2x

but still Exo best boys2x

• CMB (the best song ever) was the first time Kai shined vocally for me when he does his falsetto part being with the 3 main vocalists. Then I saw that he takes "main vocals part" very often even in title tracks, that's how I thought Kai was a step higher than many vocalists. Plus his voice is undescribable, the most unique in EXO imo.

Maple thank you for this thread, you have put so much effort in it :pepecute::pepelove1::pepelove1:

aww thank you haesoo :lover3:

I agree, the way they used him in call me baby for the chorus and overall his parts in cmb really set the mood for the song idk how to describe it better but he just made the song way better

His voice is definitely not one you find very often, it's really beautifully unique :pepecute:

• Also he did an amazing job starting runaway :pepecute:

they way he started the song, really creates the mood for the song 2x his voice just fits perfectly with the song

• He has come such a long way :pepelove1: I'm looking forward to seeing how he's going to surprise us this time with his comeback.

Honestly, his vocal tone is so unique and distinctive and it's actually the first EXO voice I learnt to recognize with ease despite him not having too many lines.

Nobody mentioned Jekyll yet so I will as the biggest Jekyll enthusiast around here because Kai owned it both vocally and performance wise... oh my my :pepe-life-support: ChanKai sequence is literally the highlight for me.

Let Me Shine Bright 

4cfec65d8f2ca1e10d2992f8538ac5a70f371b16.gifv 41044baf21b673edaead3ab264714cfafe489aeb.gifv 330ae6c6236e9f54e2a629bf61728a4f2a08a326.gifv

• oh my my

:pepe-life-support:

• but still Exo best boys2x

Of course

:pepecute:

• his oh my oh my is a cultural reset ;( he ate that whole song up and left no crumbs

I generally think that Jekyll fits ChanKai perfectly, also Chanyeols '' I shut you down'' is also one of my fave highlights

• his oh my oh my is a cultural reset ;( he ate that whole song up and left no crumbs

I generally think that Jekyll fits ChanKai perfectly, also Chanyeols '' I shut you down'' is also one of my fave highlights

imagine me, a few days old exol, seeing his jekyll fancam and hearing his oh my my for the first time while he's doing his moves ;( he had me in the palm of his hand in an instant :pepe-simp:

maple engaging me in a conversation about chanyeol's vocals is too dangerous i will never shut up about it don't let me derail kai's thread :pepe-hehe:

Let Me Shine Bright 

4cfec65d8f2ca1e10d2992f8538ac5a70f371b16.gifv 41044baf21b673edaead3ab264714cfafe489aeb.gifv 330ae6c6236e9f54e2a629bf61728a4f2a08a326.gifv

• imagine me, a few days old exol, seeing his jekyll fancam and hearing his oh my my for the first time while he's doing his moves ;( he had me in the palm of his hand in an instant :pepe-simp:

maple engaging me in a conversation about chanyeol's vocals is too dangerous i will never shut up about it don't let me derail kai's thread :pepe-hehe:

Kai is the biggest stan attractor wbk :pepe-hehe:

I honestly don't mind but someone really needs to make a thread for Chanyeols vocals, because the Man can sing so well ;(

do one2x

• FrostyMaple this thread is love :pepelove1:

It's true that Kai, and all the other members who are not ChenBaekSoo, do not get enough credit for their vocals. Kai has always stand out for his vocals for me and his growth as a vocalist have been outstanding from mostly a rapper at the beginning to taking on more singing as EXO's discography grew. His lines are some of my favorite in EXO's most iconic songs.

His voice is my favorite in SuperM and I just loved all the progress he showed in that album. Every one of his lines in the Super One album makes me swoon.

I think he is going to show a new side of him with Peaches and I don't know how to react to it. I'm pretty sure we're going to fall deeper under his spell and we are all going to do it with a smile on our faces.

• Kai honestly SHOCKED me as a soloist and till this day, his debut mini is still in my top 3 most listened to albums. Every song and production was so high quality and amazing on its own.

I love that he is getting the chance to show more of his vocals. I mean one listen to ride or die and it instantly makes you go crazy that a main dancer could sing like that. Even in obsession and dftf albums, you can definitely hear him carry some of the opening and pre choruses

• that's so sweet , thank you :pepelove1:

oh I definitely agree that it's really impressive that he started out as a sub-rapper/sub-vocalist and has grown into this great vocalist. Just looking back at his growth just makes you feels so proud of him

his voice is such an important factor in all Exo songs, since it's so unique it gives all the songs a certain something :shyy: and I totally forgot about his lines in the SuperM albums because he was amazing in them. Especially in their b-sides (I'm obsessed with his part in no manners ;()

I'm really excited for peaches and I just can't wait to finally hear more songs from him

• Another amazing thread from our maple :pepe-sad:

:pepecute::pepelove1:

Kai honestly SHOCKED me as a soloist and till this day, his debut mini is still in my top 3 most listened to albums. Every song and production was so high quality and amazing on its own.

I love that he is getting the chance to show more of his vocals. I mean one listen to ride or die and it instantly makes you go crazy that a main dancer could sing like that. Even in obsession and dftf albums, you can definitely hear him carry some of the opening and pre choruses

He's such a good vocalist that I'm still shocked that he is still so underappreciated when it comes to his vocal abilities, that's a crime :pepenomad:

• Kai is the biggest stan attractor wbk :pepe-hehe:

I honestly don't mind but someone really needs to make a thread for Chanyeols vocals, because the Man can sing so well ;(

do one2x

true true i wouldn't even be here if it weren't for him :yesr:

chanyeol's voice being my actual ultimate bias :pepe-sad: he does deserve a thread dedicated to his sexy baritone but i'm not good enough with words to take this on 2x

Let Me Shine Bright 

• This thread contains 17 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!