[So I fucked around and...] remade the Hit Index.

• This is just a fun side project I've been doing week by week. If you disagree with any ranking, that's ok.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• sorry but how is Butter higher than next level?

The Hit Index methodology is in this thread. Every week at #1 on Melon and Gaon gives a song a 15 point bonus.

Next Level had 1 week at #1 on Melon. Butter had 5 weeks at #1 on Gaon and 4 on Melon.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• what is this based off?

is it off melon charts? cause if so, how can you compare songs pre-melon reform to post-melon reform (mid-2020 onwards) when the new melon reform has made it harder to chart initially, but easier to maintain longevity and a higher ranking if your song is mildly popular?

Like is it a fair comparison between songs like say rough and lovesick girls?

No hate, I’m just curious how you moderate the difference in charting patterns?

I think the very top hits are pretty much indisputable though I think impact-wise, some other songs deserve to be up there, but obviously this seems to be based off digitals so I understand this ranking.

• The Hit Index methodology is in this thread. Every week at #1 on Melon and Gaon gives a song a 15 point bonus.

Next Level had 1 week at #1 on Melon. Butter had 5 weeks at #1 on Gaon and 4 on Melon.

I think this methodology is good to help compare songs from different years since the charts have clearly changed. There is just something weird about seeing next level in the same category as power-up, kokobop, and permission to dance since it will probably end up on the top 10 year-end list and it is supposed to be one of the viral songs in Korea this year.

• This list is kinda off. I know the method but butter so high on this list and nl so low yet nl is the one with bigger gaon points. With more weeks in top10 on every chart. A big flaw.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• The Hit Index methodology is in this thread. Every week at #1 on Melon and Gaon gives a song a 15 point bonus.

Also forgot to add that Butter got song of the month for May (+50), CAK (+10) and PAK (+30) too.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Sorry, the list is a bit no for me... NL should be higher, really higher. How is PTD so close to NL???

PTD had decent longevity in the top 10, it did 14 weeks in Melon top 10.

And it got song of the month for July too, which is an automatic +50.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• This list is kinda off. I know the method but butter so high on this list and nl so low yet nl is the one with bigger gaon points. With more weeks in top10 on every chart. A big flaw.

Yeah, I agree. I just keep the list going because I hate to see of their hard work go to waste.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I think this methodology is good to help compare songs from different years since the charts have clearly changed. There is just something weird about seeing next level in the same category as power-up, kokobop, and permission to dance since it will probably end up on the top 10 year-end list and it is supposed to be one of the viral songs in Korea this year.

The methodology is good, but it could use work. I didn't make it but I'm open to suggestions. Keep in mind that I don't have all the data, this was originally posted before the forum revamp.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Thanks, Massive. Nice work!

(I’m just waiting for the first person to come in and complain that Spring Day is fandom driven and not actually popular…! ^^)

I'll bite their head off.

Spring Day, in my opinion, is their best song ever.

MassiveKpopFan I agree with your lists, but what did you take into consideration when it comes to formulas and so on?

Nevermind, saw the rest of the posts

• what is this based off?

is it off melon charts? cause if so, how can you compare songs pre-melon reform to post-melon reform (mid-2020 onwards) when the new melon reform has made it harder to chart initially, but easier to maintain longevity and a higher ranking if your song is mildly popular?

Like is it a fair comparison between songs like say rough and lovesick girls?

No hate, I’m just curious how you moderate the difference in charting patterns?

I think the very top hits are pretty much indisputable though I think impact-wise, some other songs deserve to be up there, but obviously this seems to be based off digitals so I understand this ranking.

The methodology is in the thread I have.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Hum... It's still a no bc PTD didn't have 50% of the impact NL is having. But as you did with your own metrics, ok.

Impact cannot be measured by numbers. Read the disclaimer.

Disclaimer: This isn't about how you feel a song did, it's about analyzing the data we do have, from a variety of different angles, to an extent that really hasn't been done. It may surprise you, especially if you're coming in expecting your favs to do better than the data shows. Feeling is subjective, and this is trying to be objective.

• Like you gave a song 50 points if they are song of the month, right? I'm basically saying pointing songs between 10 and the more impressive achievement 30.

I think you should read the method behind the ranking before suggesting this. They put a lot of work into it.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Impact cannot be measured by numbers. Read the disclaimer.

Disclaimer: This isn't about how you feel a song did, it's about analyzing the data we do have, from a variety of different angles, to an extent that really hasn't been done. It may surprise you, especially if you're coming in expecting your favs to do better than the data shows. Feeling is subjective, and this is trying to be objective.

I read it after and i stand by the opinion that NL should be higher.

• Also not at you all downplaying 'Butter'. This is how brainwashing works. People have been made to think that 'Butter' wasn't a smash hit with insane peak and impressive longevity. Read this thread if you want to know how big 'Butter' was.

• Also not at you all downplaying 'Butter'. This is how brainwashing works. People have been made to think that 'Butter' wasn't a smash hit with insane peak and impressive longevity. Read this thread if you want to know how big 'Butter' was.

Literally no one mentioned the other songs like Rollin, Lovesick Girls, & Dolphin being extremely high; everyone was laser focused on PTD and Butter. Makes you wonder.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Literally no one mentioned the other songs like Rollin, Lovesick Girls, & Dolphin being extremely high; everyone was laser focused on PTD and Butter. Makes you wonder.

I guess it's because nl and butter were released around same time and nl is just bigger outside of the peak? It's way more noticeable when butter is this high even tho nl is clearly ahead on gaon and on most other charts.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• Literally no one mentioned the other songs like Rollin, Lovesick Girls, & Dolphin being extremely high; everyone was laser focused on PTD and Butter. Makes you wonder.

Why would LSG being questioned when it's still in the top65 (i think) on Melons after 15 months? Rolling was massive and to me the biggest hit this year in S.K, Dolphin too was huge, competing with HYLT (another huge song) last year so no questioning. About Butter and PDT may be bc they are new releases and NL too, but one is super high, the other two not so much, but one of the two is a NH.

Buuuut if you are implying some (not all obviously) are being biased against BTS, well, this could be true too.

• I guess it's because nl and butter were released around same time and nl is just bigger outside of the peak? It's way more noticeable when butter is this high even tho nl is clearly ahead on gaon and on most other charts.

That is mainly because 'Butter' won head to head battle with 'Next Level'.

Take GAON Monthly award's 50 points and PAK 30 points out of 'Butter' and add it to NL. They both will be closer.

• This thread contains 19 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!