Vlives/tiktoks and other SNS group content are the biggest promo a group can get

• People assume promo is just going on a Korean tv shows. No. Eye- maybe that was the case before social media blow up. But certainly not for the last 10 years at least.

There is NO bigger promo than constant content on social media platforms. This can be vlives or reality shows and performances videos on Netflix/YouTube or even tiktoks and group updates on social media.

For me it’s super weird when groups that get CONSTANT group updates say they “don’t have promo” noo they’ve literally been promoting all year round.

• I agree with tiktok. YouTube helps a lot too. I know kpoppies have a strange obsession with YouTube ads but they’ve been helping lesser known groups gain visibility a lot more than people think.

• To grow a fandom? Yes

To reach the public u need to be on tv

Not really. KPOP's main demographic(Gen Z/teenagers) don't watch cable television like they did in the past.

Arguably TikTok and YouTube does more for charting and public relevancy than music shows and variety shows. STAY and ASAP(cmiiw) went viral on TikTok there which is why they were both charting well. Rollin' became one of the biggest songs this year due to it's popularity/virality on social media platforms, and I'd say that was the same case for Next Level too.

• It’s so easy to access I get a dozen different recs on YouTube or tiktok and then it’s just one click to vlive. Content is easiest to access these days.

Maybe easy to access but not enticing if you aren't a fan. The most kpop related content I get recommended are MV/Live stages.

If I see a thumbnail for an hour long video of horde of sweatpants-clad dudes sitting washed out room, I'm not clicking it. If I see a thumbnail of those same dudes dressed to the 9 on stage staring me like they're gonna suck out my soul through the screen, I'm clicking right away.

I get what you mean about TV promo being irrelevant and I agree but music stages, even if they're homemade, are usually the best promo

• Not really. KPOP's main demographic(Gen Z/teenagers) don't watch cable television like they did in the past.

Arguably TikTok and YouTube does more for charting and public relevancy than music shows and variety shows. STAY and ASAP(cmiiw) went viral there which is why they were both charting well. Rollin' became one of the biggest songs this year due to it's popularity/virality on social media platforms, and I'd say that was the same case for Next Level too.

Music shows and variety shows do little to nothing unless you go on something like Yoo Jaesuk's shows.

The variety shows do good because the clips get uploaded on YouTube and THOSE clips get millions of views. Same for variety content. The edits memes and re uploads on social media is what people are watching. And popular variety shows like knowing bros are even on Netflix now.

• I agree with tiktok

but, how is vlive a promo when masses (gp) are not even subscribed to an artist? hence, they are not notified of new video or live. :pepewhat:

• Maybe easy to access but not enticing if you aren't a fan. The most kpop related content I get recommended are MV/Live stages.

If I see a thumbnail for an hour long video of horde of sweatpants-clad dudes sitting washed out room, I'm not clicking it. If I see a thumbnail of those same dudes dressed to the 9 on stage staring me like they're gonna suck out my soul through the screen, I'm clicking right away.

I get what you mean about TV promo being irrelevant and I agree but music stages, even if they're homemade, are usually the best promo

This seems to be a you thing tbh. Leave alone idols YouTube is all about vlogs of mundane ppl doing random things. That’s how YouTube blew up in popularity that’s the content ppl like.

Random dude in their sweats doing random things is EXACTLY the thing people LOVE watching whether it’s YouTube or tikotk or any social media.

You just need to do interesting things.

• People assume promo is just going on a Korean tv shows. No. Eye- maybe that was the case before social media blow up. But certainly not for the last 10 years at least.

There is NO bigger promo than constant content on social media platforms. This can be vlives or reality shows and performances videos on Netflix/YouTube or even tiktoks and group updates on social media.

For me it’s super weird when groups that get CONSTANT group updates say they “don’t have promo” noo they’ve literally been promoting all year round.

I think people want them to go on korean TV to reach a wider demographic then just those who frequent certain areas on social media. Also, if the group is only posting on their OWN tiktok then they're really only promoting to their fans.

• I agree with tiktok

but, how is vlive a promo when masses (gp) are not even subscribed to an artist? hence, they are not notified of new video or live. :pepewhat:

They are every easy to access. Also you don’t need to reach a new audience. For example I stan exo I saw some random clips of say twice or stray kids and want to check them out and there’s a lot of content on vlive that immediately may make me a fan.

Converting locals is one things but reaching the kpop fandoms of itself is very easy through vlive.

Also those clips get posted on social media by their SNS accounts and easily make their way on to people’s TLs.

This is how kpop has grown. All of them have so much social media content.

• I think people want them to go on korean TV to reach a wider demographic then just those who frequent certain areas on social media. Also, if the group is only posting on their OWN tiktok then they're really only promoting to their fans.

I’m saying that’s a wrong assumption.

Social media is the place where you can reach the maximum amount of ppl.

Also you don’t seem to know how tiktok works. If you’re viral you’re more likely to reach grandma over tiktok than tv lol.

• The variety shows do good because the clips get uploaded on YouTube and THOSE clips get millions of views. Same for variety content. The edits memes and re uploads on social media is what people are watching. And popular variety shows like knowing bros are even on Netflix now.

Oh I misunderstood the original post then :S But yeah KPOP''s main demographic doesn't watch cable television so social media and easy-to-access content are more beneficial. I understand now :shyy:

• I’m saying that’s a wrong assumption.

Social media is the place where you can reach the maximum amount of ppl.

Also you don’t seem to know how tiktok works. If you’re viral you’re more likely to reach grandma over tiktok than tv lol.

Everything you see on tiktok is based on your preferences so if you don't follow a group it is extremely unlikely for you to see their stuff, also much more difficult to get viral on tiktok and reach a large audience as it would be to just go on korean TV.

Grandmas are more likely to sit down and watch TV then go on tiktok (in korea).

• Everything you see on tiktok is based on your preferences so if you don't follow a group it is extremely unlikely for you to see their stuff, also much more difficult to get viral on tiktok and reach a large audience as it would be to just go on korean TV.

Grandmas are more likely to sit down and watch TV then go on tiktok (in korea).

Nope. I don’t have to follow a group.

If I’m an anime or any pop culture consumer or watcher who is between 15-25 and I’m into seeing cute boys or girls dancing maybe I will get a kpop video. It’s a very sophisticated algorithm. It’s not just fans. It knows who to reach exactly so that they’ll like it.

Anyway the grandma was a joke. Who cares about grandma. You want 15-25 year olds.

• Nope. I don’t have to follow a group.

If I’m an anime watche who is between 15-25 and I to see cute bits dancing maybe I will get a kpop video. It’s a very sophisticated algorithm. It’s not just fans. It knows who to reach exactly so that they’ll like it.

Anyway the grandma was a joke. Who cares about grandma. You want 15-25 year olds.

That's my point, people say they want their fave to promote in korean TV because they want their fave to reach a wider audience then they normally would.

• That's my point, people say they want their fave to promote in korean TV because they want their fave to reach a wider audience then they normally would.

It’s wrong because it’s not reaching a wider audience. THe widest audience is on social media. Every single person who is on this site got into kpop because of social media and internet. That itself is enough proof.

Every single new thing I’ve ever liked is because of the internet. Not TV or radio.

• Not really. KPOP's main demographic(Gen Z/teenagers) don't watch cable television like they did in the past.

Arguably TikTok and YouTube does more for charting and public relevancy than music shows and variety shows. STAY and ASAP(cmiiw) went viral on TikTok there which is why they were both charting well. Rollin' became one of the biggest songs this year due to it's popularity/virality on social media platforms, and I'd say that was the same case for Next Level too.

Yep but all those start as promo to a bigger audience:music shows, army performance, challenge

None are directed to just the fandom, let said for example like how NCT does lot of content in yt, all have a porpoise to reach a audience outside the fandom

• This seems to be a you thing tbh. Leave alone idols YouTube is all about vlogs of mundane ppl doing random things. That’s how YouTube blew up in popularity that’s the content ppl like.

Random dude in their sweats doing random things is EXACTLY the thing people LOVE watching whether it’s YouTube or tikotk or any social media.

You just need to do interesting things.

That's the thing, most of them don't do anything interesting. Surprising amount of idols are pretty introverted

YouTube works because it appeals to a bunch of different niches they like (gaming, beauty, horror, travel) or use hella clickbait. Most idols don't really do that and make content that appeals to fans that want to know more about them, not strangers. Even with variety shows, they're made and run by comedians that know how to drag interesting reactions out. That's why they matter, not the TV aspect

I can count the amount of idols known for their sns content on one hand and that usually doesn't carry over. Idols that go viral for their fancams and stages are a lot more common for a reason, it's not just a me thing

• That's the thing, most of them don't do anything interesting. Surprising amount of idols are pretty introverted

YouTube works because it appeals to a bunch of different niches they like (gaming, beauty, horror, travel) or use hella clickbait. Most idols don't really do that and make content that appeals to fans that want to know more about them, not strangers. Even with variety shows, they're made and run by comedians that know how to drag interesting reactions out. That's why they matter, not the TV aspect

I can count the amount of idols known for their sns content on one hand and that usually doesn't carry over. Idols that go viral for their fancams and stages are a lot more common for a reason, it's not just a me thing

Kpop 100% popular because of the idols fam service and fan content. And kpop will not be popular without it. But that’s a conversation for another day.

In any case fancams and stages are also online content. So my point still stands.

• That’s where the lines are blurred. Fan content in easy to access platforms IS promo..l Who watches the tv or listens to the radio or reads the newspaper lol.

yea but they are for FAN

the tv/radio is to reach more than kpop stan

it is to expand kpop culture more to the general public

why the heck kpop group come to us late night show lately?

it is to expand the kpop culture lol..

also in my country they play so many kpop song on the radio

it is how none kpop stan listen to kpop song

• Everybody is on the internet my bro. GP as well. Y’all even noticed how tiktok changed the game? You think those songs went viral because they were played on radio? No tiktok.

A song going viral on social media >>>>>>>>>>>>> the best way to reach GP.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!