Profits from Spotify are peanuts. Wtf?

• But then how do you support an artist that doesn't release physical albums for example? The physical album market in the West is kind of dying.

what's a peanut? im a little bit confused rn :whatb:

• Always has been. That's part of the reason Taylor Swift pulled her albums from Spotify and other streaming sites for a long time.

For big artists, it's not that big of a deal because they are also able to make money from digital sales, some physical sales, touring, merch, endorsements, commercial use... but for small artists it's a huge bummer. It's not sustainable to make money for them and a lot of independent artists it's a necessary evil to make their music accessible and discoverable which can then attract people to live shows.

• Exactly!! And now add in payola. The artists will really end up with nothing. The way to support them would be to really just buying their songs on iTunes, their websites. Going to their concert etc.

I did some research and:

"Every contract is different, but the average high-end, record company royalty deal pays musicians $1 for every $10 retail album sale.

And it can be a lot worse than that: A low-end royalty deal only pays $.30 per album sale. That’s an amazingly small profit for a CD purchase, especially considering that bands may have to divide that among several members."

"If a customer downloads a $9.99 album, the iTunes percentage to artists would likely be a modest $.94 cents – less than a 10% cut. The record company might take $5.35 and Apple would keep the remaining $3.70.

On average, artists receive approximately $.09 for each individual song downloaded on iTunes. To put that into perspective, musicians would need to sell around 12,400 songs every month to earn a minimum wage salary."

Feels like going to their concerts is the only way to support artists at this point. And maybe royalties.

• If you all want to know more, he explains the distribution quite well. I don't know the time stamp maybe you'll find it in comments

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This is very sad tbh.

• But then how do you support an artist that doesn't release physical albums for example? The physical album market in the West is kind of dying.

Yeah, and there's not much reasons to buy a Western album because they don't have things people can collect and display. I wonder what it'd be like if Western physical albums started containing photocards lol

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• Its very hard to get exact numbers, as the payouts depends on what country a user is listening from and if the user is free or on a paid subscription etc, but yes its not much.

• The thing is that touring is really the way for most artists - even smaller ones - to make money.

This is also why the pandemic was so brutal. It was a huge source of income that suddently disappeared...

• The thing is: streaming is a necessary evil. The music industry was in a steady decline due to digital piracy. The model is based on mass adoption: it's better to charge less but sell to everyone than to charge the same but sell to no one. It works well for the industry as a whole because their consumer base is massive. But not for small artists because the money is going all to the big artists.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

The revenue distribution has a problem: what you pay doesn't go to what you listen to. The distribution is based on total revenue weighted by total streams, not user by user. So, even if you only listen to X, the largest chunk of what you're paying is going to Drake (or whoever is the most streamed artist today), not to X. So small artists get nothing.

And if you want to directly support your artist, buying music isn't the way either. The standard US label contract takes 85% of the sales revenue and only gives "15% - expenses" back to the artist. Unless you are big enough to be able to negotiate your own terms.

• this isn't how it looks in kpop especially when you are talking about the split between label and artists

most common in kpop are 70/30 contracts

so it divides, depends on company in the bigger ones, well known artists as group would get 70% of money made by 1 album sale, and company will take 30%

to make it easy

let's say that album price is 15 USD, after taking from it production cost, and taxes one sale results in 5 USD profit,

then group gets 70% of this 5 USD, which is 3.5 USD. And company takes 1.5 USD.

Of course there will be company which splits 60% for group, and 40% for company, there will be some smaller which split 50-50. And there also might be some where company takes 70% of earnings, group gets just 30% but in return they don't have so called 'trainee debt'. etc.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• So there is actually not much difference between Kpop „slave contracts“ from the past and the usual Western contracts when it comes to the earning part?!

Interesting…

Exactly.

I do my fair share of bitching about Kpop slave contracts, they're terrible, but a lot of locals like to act superior about it, saying that Kpop is evil and somehow forgetting the fact that Western pop stars also get treated like shit and exploited by their labels.

• Man this is sad... at least big artists get a payout in other ways but what about the smaller guys? I do think it would be interesting if the west tried to rejuvenate the physical market but I don't know what they could do to do that (outside of certain pop artists, most fans wouldn't go for photobooks/cards). The only fanbases that still buy a shit ton of albums is metal and other rock genres I'm pretty sure but that's more due to there being a lot of older fans sticking to their ways

• Exactly.

I do my fair share of bitching about Kpop slave contracts, they're terrible, but a lot of locals like to act superior about it, saying that Kpop is evil and somehow forgetting the fact that Western pop stars also get treated like shit and exploited by their labels.t

honestly though, the slave contracts are kind of over these days(in kpop atleast). The only companies that do them are the really small ones.

This paying thing is one of the things YG does right lol and the only thing I will ever appreciate them for. But the fact that streaming pays nothing is so frustrating.

But seriously the western labels are turning into the new BIG BAD LABELS. They are basically putting all the bad things about the kpop industry and putting them all in one place.

We already saw what happened to Meghan. Who knows how many other western artists are treated like this but we just don't know because they can't speak up and the companies hide it really well?

• This thread contains 20 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!