Mass Streaming - YouTube vs Spotify: which is better?

• Every time a K-pop group drops a new song I see a big effort from fandoms to mass stream the MV for the sake of achievements. But, considering Spotify pays 8x and Apple Music 12x per stream of what YT pays (not considering YTM Premium), wouldn't it be better to mass stream on the music platforms if we want to financially support our idols?

What matters the most, achievements or income? What do you think? (Unless you mass stream with YouTube Music Premium, then you're doing both)

• I think, that YouTube would be better because it counts for Music Shows. If a group gets their first, they get more recognized and get more advertising deals for example (=more money) :pepe-toilet:

• I am mass streaming for Ateez because as an international i cant do shit on melon, etc, etc, unless i pay someone money for an older account to stream on genie and melon and i'm sorry i don't trust people and i'm not trusting my money to that shit. so i have free youtube premium for the next 2 months and i'm just cycling through on everything that needs to be streamed, i'd do spotify but that shit is complicated and despite having it run on cycle with like 2k songs or less on a playlist it barely counted my listening to the song like it'd tell me i listened 85 times i'd check back the next day and it'd be at like 89...4 listens in 24 hours? makes no sense...so i don't know what's up with fucking spotify.

• I am mass streaming for Ateez because as an international i cant do shit on melon, etc, etc, unless i pay someone money for an older account to stream on genie and melon and i'm sorry i don't trust people and i'm not trusting my money to that shit. so i have free youtube premium for the next 2 months and i'm just cycling through on everything that needs to be streamed, i'd do spotify but that shit is complicated and despite having it run on cycle with like 2k songs or less on a playlist it barely counted my listening to the song like it'd tell me i listened 85 times i'd check back the next day and it'd be at like 89...4 listens in 24 hours? makes no sense...so i don't know what's up with fucking spotify.

That's weird. Where did you check your number of listens on Spotify?

• Strange. My last.fm counts my scrobbles normally. Even if I loop the same song.

yeah it's not properly counting anything and it makes no sense.

OH SURE I SAY THIS and now it looks updated

Screenshot_3.png

however i've been streaming it non stop for days

and this is all it shows

Screenshot_4.png

so days upon days of having spotify on repeat and this is all it shows me, makes no sense.

Screenshot_5.png

my youtube different story this shit best be working

Screenshot_7.png

• get lots of views -> trend high on youtube -> gain new fans -> fans buy stuff

streaming on youtube might actually indirectly lead to more income than just streaming on spotify.

Edited 4 times, last by Cold_Wave ().

• youtube is more accessible.

Spotify filter fandom mass stream, you can't inflate their numbers

That's why BP and BTS can make 80 to 100 million streams on YT, but barely 10% of that on Spotify

Same to every big group. Twice, Itzy, EXO, all them move 10 to 15% of YouTube first 24 hours streams on Spotify

not everyone uses spotify and everyone uses youtube, that's not a good comparison.

i just checked. 1st place on german chart, a country of more than 80 million, has 610k streams. i cannot even imagine how many streams they do on youtube. yes, it's more than 610k.

• youtube is more accessible.

not everyone uses spotify and everyone uses youtube, that's not a good comparison.

i just checked. 1st place on german chart, a country of more than 80 million, has 610k streams. i cannot even imagine how many streams they do on youtube. yes, it's more than 610k.

YouTube is not 10x more accessible nor makes 10x more streams on daily average. YouTube streams are highly inflated by fandom activity

• youtube dwarfs spotify. its true

5866.jpeg

The big problem

From your own article

Using a loophole in international copyright laws, YouTube pays much lower licensing fees to the music industry than services such as Spotify. To be eligible for such lowered rates, YouTube considers itself a hosting platform rather than a content distributing platform, a practice that has repeatedly been dismissed as unfair by record companies and competitors. YouTube often downplays its role as a music distributor, saying it is mostly a promotional platform for artists and record companies.

https://www.statista.com/chart…usic-listening-platforms/

Of course, it helps that YouTube remains completely free; one of Spotify’s biggest bugbears when it comes to the likes of Taylor Swift quitting their service.

The IFPI estimates that by the end of 2014, music audio subscription services had 41 million paying global subscribers who contributed $1.13bn to record labels.

Yet total global revenues to record companies generated by exclusively free-to-consumer advertising-supported services (predominantly video online platforms) amounted to just US$ 641 million.

Basically even if video watching is bigger, they contribute less than half the revenues that music streaming does to the labels and artists.

https://www.musicbusinessworld…tform-and-getting-bigger/

Also

YouTube is far and away the most popular option in the world when it comes to streaming music. The Google-owned company itself claims that over 1.5 billion people now use the site every month, and many of them click on at least one musical option.

Basically yes everyone on youtube does watch a music video once in a while, but is not like all subscribers are just listening/watching music videos.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/h…of-users/?sh=59e1d7451780

Basically your faves are getting screwed if you listen to them on Youtube over other services like spotify.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!