• During my time here and on the old forums, its come to my attention that a lot of the issues surrounding certain topics boils down to knowledge. What one knows, what one doesn't know, what one ought to know etc.

So what is knowledge: a quick google search

facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

Why is knowledge so important here - because of the "megathreads" - most of them are on controversial subjects such as racism, cultural appropriation, Sowon/WW2/Hitler, 2nd gen v 3rd gen v 4th gen etc - the issue that is common in all these is (I believe) knowledge

I'm not even going to go into detail about the various types of knowledge - like a priori or a posteriori knowledge - that's beyond the scope of a kpop forum

lets just keep it simple about knowledge that we think others should know.

Many things shape our knowledge:

our background, social economic status, education level, culture, intelligence, societal norms and values, peer group etc.

Those things affect our actual knowledge - from there is it possible to determine what one ought to know about?

A pygmy living in the Amazon jungle has no actual knowledge of the internet, running water or toilet and therefore we don't judge him for not knowing.

A teenager/adult born in the 21st century should know about their country's history, climate change, COVID etc or do they?

Because we are all shaped differently our levels of knowledge vastly differ between genders, ethnicities, countries - hell a twin studying in the same year and same class in the same city could have vastly different levels of knowledge to each other.

Therefore if we are so different why are there certain aspects of knowledge that everyone should know and if they don't what do we do about it.

The consequences of lack of knowledge - do we cancel them, do they have to apologise profusely and make recompense, do they have to go into hiding and mediate on the issue, do they lose their job or stop being an idol or get their entire MV taken down, that is also a very interesting topic but for another day.

What I will end on is who is to determine what one should or ought to know - is it simple ignorance? or arrogance? or something more severe? do we then judge someone based on things that they ought to have known because we believe they should know it. Those things that we know were shaped by our experiences and factors listed above - do we then impart that on others and say hey you should know this too. Vice versa what if others judge us for things that we don't know but they believe we ought to know?

• Regardless of what is happening recently, I just find it funny that some people expects everyone to know things that are happening in their country like the whole world revolves around them.

And people expecting others to follow their values, when the upbringing, culture, society can be vastly different depending on where you live.

• It wouldn't be such a problem if a whole bunch of clueless schmucks didn't think they were so morally superior and in position to give lectures to everybody else, telling others what they should do, what they should know, what they should say, as if they knew any better.

• Very needed thread.

Hope people read it all.

:thumbup:

probably not since it involves ACTUAL DISCUSSION but then again I write things which I find interesting and hopefully other people will read it or not or disagree or agree - in fact I want people to disagree because I like to hear different opinions.

(maybe part 2 will be more interesting on the consequences of lack of knowledge - stay tuned!! :) )

• Regardless of what is happening recently, I just find it funny that some people expects everyone to know things that are happening in their country like the whole world revolves around them.

And people expecting others to follow their values, when the upbringing, culture, society can be vastly different depending on where you live.

And it is always the same people who talk in the name of everyone while calling others the names. Like can you stfu, pls, at least when something doesnt have anything to do with you!???? I think that we all know who are those people who think that the whole world needs to think the same as them.... Leave us alone, pls!

• And it is always the same people who talk in the name of everyone while calling others the names. Like can you stfu, pls, at least when something doesnt have anything to do with you!???? I think that we all know who are those people who think that the whole world needs to think the same as them.... Leave us alone, pls!

I'm waiting for something that involves me, so that I can tell people to stfu. My country and culture too nugu to be affected oh wells

• probably not since it involves ACTUAL DISCUSSION but then again I write things which I find interesting and hopefully other people will read it or not or disagree or agree - in fact I want people to disagree because I like to hear different opinions.

(maybe part 2 will be more interesting on the consequences of lack of knowledge - stay tuned!! :)

Waiting for part 2 then

:claps:

• I'm waiting for something that involves me, so that I can tell people to stfu. My country and culture too nugu to be affected oh wells

really if I wasn't so settled in Aust I'd probably move to Singapore I like it there - everything except for the weather.

I've been there twice and thoroughly enjoyed it.

you use nugu but its a gateway into China, its a commercial hub, you've got Eng and Chinese (and Indian and Malay), you got great infrastructure, housing affordability (even if it is gov), great public transport...hell you already know this why am I talking about things that you OUGHT TO KNOW :pepe-use-head:

I'm so meta aren't I :clown:

• really if I wasn't so settled in Aust I'd probably move to Singapore I like it there - everything except for the weather.

I've been there twice and thoroughly enjoyed it.

you use nugu but its a gateway into China, its a commercial hub, you've got Eng and Chinese (and Indian and Malay), you got great infrastructure, housing affordability (even if it is gov), great public transport...hell you already know this why am I talking about things that you OUGHT TO KNOW :pepe-use-head:

I'm so meta aren't I :clown:

I mean tbh we complain a lot like A LOT, but for me it's like ..... still better? I don't have to walk around at night worrying I will get robbed at least. Of course things can be better but it's not like I'm suffering or have any big worries, compared to other countries.

• Singapore, it will never get to my country like y'all probably can't even point it on the world map. At most is people calling SEA poor and that SEA is not important but I already made a whole ass thread about it

Yes, it's a small country for sure. I followed the Street Fighter competitive scene for years, and one of its most notorious player hails from Singapore. So at least in the world of Street Fighter, it has a bit of reputation. :)

• I think that the once who are really ignorant and arrogant in those discussions are the once who think that the whole world must think the same way as them. Those people call you all kind of names just bc you state your opinion which is different. You give them arguments, they call you names and gang you up with their "knowledge" without any arguments, just name calling and ganging (BTW, it's not knowledge)....

You must understand that different countries and people from different backgrounds see thinks differently! Even the people from the same country can have different views bc of different background and knowledge.

I honestly really had enough of those people....

• Yes, it's so easy to judge, but we can never know everything a person learned or experienced in their live (even with those that we know in person).

We should try understand other's perspetives more and not be so easy to judge (of course if something bad happened, it has to be debated and discussed, but not without even trying to understand the context).

Also what i see the lack of: respect (respect for the others, their opinions, their cultures... towards celebrities, someone you know or another user on the forum).

(i'm not saying, we can not say anything anymore, but just to try be more understanding of each other)

That's part 2 my friend you've jumped the gun hahaha :) everything you've said is correct

I think that the once who are really ignorant and arrogant in those discussions are the once who think that the whole world must think the same way as them. Those people call you all kind of names just bc you state your opinion which is different. You give them arguments, they call you names and gang you up with their "knowledge" without any arguments, just name calling and ganging (BTW, it's not knowledge)....

You must understand that different countries and people from different backgrounds see thinks differently! Even the people from the same country can have different views bc of different background and knowledge.

I honestly really had enough of those people....

Ahh again part 2 my friend :) - what do you do about such things - everything you've said is true

• I guess you won't find any disagreements on this thread (since you've said, you would like to hear other opinions) ^^ maybe those, who disagree are not coming to the thread named Knowledge and are not reading the whole intro part :D
    Btw i don't know if that's correct, but 46 guests are supposed to be viewing this thread right now? Maybe they will learn something :D

Nah something tells me this is far from over. Expect thesis-length replies, it's just probably too early still on some parts of the world.

Per the topic. It just usually boils down to who shouts the loudest or who can strong arm the most. Been like that in the old forum and I can even tell who would show up in those sort of threads itching for a fight.

• I agree about your point. I think even in the era where information easily accessed through the internet, it doesn't mean everyone knows about history. History is learned as early as in school but it much more focused on their own nation. Even if they learn about world history as a whole, it doesn't mean everyone will know about it. As OP said, there also place where people can't get an education.

• I guess you won't find any disagreements on this thread (since you've said, you would like to hear other opinions) ^^ maybe those, who disagree are not coming to the thread named Knowledge and are not reading the whole intro part :D
    Btw i don't know if that's correct, but 46 guests are supposed to be viewing this thread right now? Maybe they will learn something :D

maybe i need something more clickbaity like BTS have no knowledge! that'll draw a crow

• Lol alright then, when the 'shouting debate' comes, i'm off, can't handle the shouting and 'the loudest has the power' :D

To be fair though, I haven't seen some of the usual suspects in a long time.

I usually just say my piece and vamoose. It's also one of the reasons why I stick to the sidelines and avoid controversial threads (or just the kpop threads in general). Most of the time, it's not a hill I'm willing to die on anyway.

• Nah something tells me this is far from over. Expect thesis-length replies, it's just probably too early still on some parts of the world.

Per the topic. It just usually boils down to who shouts the loudest or who can strong arm the most. Been like that in the old forum and I can even tell who would show up in those sort of threads itching for a fight.

hhaaha i like thesis legnth replies it makes for a more interesting read than

nah you're delulu or something

• Even if you decide to participate in such discussion, you achieve nothing, the participants are too emotional invested and trying to prove their right without listening (reading in this case) to anyone else. Not worth of the stress, there is enough stress in everyday life, entertainment is supposed to entertain me :D

So true. I engaged a lot in those discussions lately and it's just debilitating. You try to make a good and reasoned argument, yet people either ignore it or misrepresent it. And in no time the conversation runs in circles. I should let go but because i'm stuck at home and bored, I go back at it all guns blazing. Lot of frustation ensues, especially when I start getting called names. Yesterday I was called a dipshit. Today I learned I was defending anti semitism. What a ride!

• Singapore, it will never get to my country like y'all probably can't even point it on the world map. At most is people calling SEA poor and that SEA is not important but I already made a whole ass thread about it

I read the book about Singapore! The plot is in Singapore. It is written by German writer and there isn't even English version (I googled... It is weird that it exists on my language and is translated to it, but not English). So the name will probably mean nth and idk is Singapore presented properly in it too since it's written by foreigner (she researched, talked with people and read bunch of books through, was in Singapore, but still...).... It would be something like "The time of wild orchids" on English (on German it's "Zeit der wilden Orchideen") and it's written by Nicole C. Vosseler. It is mostly fictional, romantic novel with some elements of history about Singapore in 1840 and on and the love story of rich Singaporean girl and Orang Laut boy. I was kinda fascinated by Orang Lauts, I never heard about them before the book.

Edited once, last by Jk996 ().

• people have such a skewed sense of general knowledge, me included.

and that my friend is the purpose of the thread to make you think about what you know and what is general knowledge or even common sense...

part 2 is about what to do about it lol Stay tuned :whistling:

• To know the extent of your ignorance is already some valuable knowledge.

The opposite is the Dunning–Kruger effect ie. people so ignorant about a subject they don't even realize the extent of their ignorance. See, the flat earthers.

• well aren't you the next Aristotle ^^

knowledge is a powerful drug the more you consume you thirst for more and more...hold up so thats what twice's song was about

More & More knowledge as a drug...

and the next song I can't stop me is about the consumption of said knowledge

OMG the metaness of it all :pepe-use-head:

Sory gotta promote the once guild they are trying to win this weeks guold wars lol

• Exactly.

i know nothing about those wars :D but i have to say Twice titles are pretty useful in this topic

and if you are feeling down about all the fighting and fanwars they literally have a song called Cheer Up ^^

• lol maybe Knock Knock is the best, but to be clear, I haven' heard anything of Twice prior Feel Special.

its all good my friend - each to their own. I'm off to bed so i'll leave you with Knock Knock

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

see if you like it or not

• Knowledge comes from life experience and age, wisdom. I’ve lived a lot in my 52 years and have experienced some hard time times that unless you have been there too cannot relate.

I’ve had many a quarrel with some on the old forum that tried to‘show me up’ but a lot of them were still youngsters at school or living at home that no idea what they’re talking about. Knowledge is a wonderous thing but also a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. I’m also blessed with incredible general knowledge that stems from a good education and an intelligent mind.

• Knowledge comes from life experience and age, wisdom. I’ve lived a lot in my 52 years and have experienced some hard time times that unless you have been there too cannot relate.

I’ve had many a quarrel with some on the old forum that tried to‘show me up’ but a lot of them were still youngsters at school or living at home that no idea what they’re talking about. Knowledge is a wonderous thing but also a dangerous thing in the wrong hands. I’m also blessed with incredible general knowledge that stems from a good education and an intelligent mind.

Yep, it's always rich when some clueless teenagers try to teach you some life lessons, right? I can relate.

• Meh, not a fan. It's the kind of sound and imagery that made me unintersted at first. When I started listening to k-pop, I was more into girl crush/strong concepts and such. Their latest material has evolved into something more mature so I can enjoy it. But their older songs, I'm not sure. Same thing with GFriend for that matter.

I'm weirdlike this not a big fan of their cute stuff either but just KK apparently lol

• This thread contains 18 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!