Does having Japanese members helps with Japanese charting and reception?

• 1. Do I think it helps? Yes, I do.

2. Do I think it is the solely reason of success? No, I do not

But the question is the 1, me saying it helps it is not trying to dismiss groups achievements with Japanese members at all because this doesn’t apply only to them but also members from different countries such as China and Thailand for example.

I’m asking about Japan specifically because is the second biggest market and I have seen people trying to use that argument to drag TWICE success in Japan but that narrative apparently it’s gone for other nationalities.

• well of course it helps but it's not indicative of success...

it still depends on the group overall...there's plenty of nugu groups with Japanese members that don't do as well...

• i agree with you. i saw them drag enhyphen (i don't even stan them) the other day with same logic as twice's. painful to see how others try to downplay or drag.:pepefacepalm:

• No. Examples being BTS, Kara, TVXQ and SNSD. And it's all the same for Twice as well. It's even more so a double edge sword for Twice because if they underperformed after their previous albums, "they are flops even with Japanese members" and if they outsell their previous albums, "yeah they did that because they have Japanese members."

• It helps, but you can be successful in Japan without having members from Japan. Same goes for other countries. But having members from a country gives an advantage, Japanese members in Japan, Chinese members in China, Thai members in Thailand, members from English-speaking countries help in the west etc.

It boosts success by a certain ratio. Without these members these groups would be less successful. You can see proof if you look at the trends of which groups are more successful in which country (sales, charts, spotify streams)

Of course you can dominate without having any non-Korean members, but that takes exceptional talent like BTS.

• I agree with all your points.

IMO, having a Japanese member is an advantage but companies and groups will still have to play their cards right by producing songs that actually suit the taste of the Japanese gp. Japanese members can give them visibility but it's still the music/ concept that would invite the fans.

Boredom brought me here.

• It clearly helps but only if that JP member or members promote well in JP otherwise its useless for example Treasure has JP members but clearly they need more promotion in JP but YG sucks so Treasure will never reach their fullest potential in JP.

• No. Examples being BTS, Kara, TVXQ and SNSD. And it's all the same for Twice as well. It's even more so a double edge sword for Twice because if they underperformed after their previous albums, "they are flops even with Japanese members" and if they outsell their previous albums, "yeah they did that because they have Japanese members."

I know right?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Haters need to

:JackBlackStop:

~ ω

• No, there have been groups which have done very well with no jpn member but they do help with the language, is easier to promote in Japan when somebody is fluent.

• Official Post

It doesn't equal automatic success, but it can definitely help people feel connected to the group. Being able to speak your native language to someone you're a fan of it's a wonderful feeling.

• No I don't think it really helps otherwise all groups with Japanese members would be successful in Japan but it's clearly not the case.

People forget that Japan has their own idol culture, they have no shortage of idols to fawn over, the ones that like to support local idols would just support the domestic groups.

I already mentioned in another thread but look at the most successful Kpop groups in Japan, they are pure Koreans (bts, tvxq, bigbang).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!