its weird that popular member need to divide their individual income with other member

• 20210706_160119.jpg

Seolhyun,Hyuna and Suzy are among the biggest example

Another example :

Gugugan‘s Mina and Sejeong have been sharing their personal profits with the rest of GUGUDAN members ever since they debuted in I.O.I. (what even ???)

i will never understand why tho ... its due to the contract but isnt unfair ? imagine working hard 24/7 without any rest only for ur income to be divide with others who actually didnt do anything and just chilling on dorm ? Its not group work its an individual work

• well depends on the contract...

if you want to a sign a contract that says even for individual/solo CFs music or otherwise that you gotta share the $$$$ well that's on you (or your parent lol)

• I doubt it will always be an equal distribution but since she said it.....

:pepeshut::pepeshut::pepeshut:

I'm pretty sure is equal in the first years based on both aoa and miss a cases, during later part of their contract they have a bigger cut but still share with the other members until the contract ends.

They all sign this contract since nobody knows which member are gonna shot big so they all want safety in a way or another but is not fair for one member to work and the others to get a part of their earned money.

I can understand smaller companies but I don't get why JYP is doing, is not like they were some nugu company where members need safety. Are their contracts still the same or they went sm/yg route where individual activities are paid individually?

• I'm pretty sure is equal in the first years based on both aoa and miss a cases, during later part of their contract they have a bigger cut but still share with the other members until the contract ends.

They all sign this contract since nobody knows which member are gonna shot big so they all want safety in a way or another but is not fair for one member to work and the others to get a part of their earned money.

I can understand smaller companies but I don't get why JYP is doing, is not like they were some nugu company where members need safety. Are their contracts still the same or they went sm/yg route where individual activities are paid individually?

dizzcity Help me answer this question, JYPE expert

:pepe-comfy:

I am curious too

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• It is not . When theg start as group, there is no sure thing that they will get success or which member gets most offers

So at that time all members agree with this contract , bcoz noone is certain about their future. It is fair

• forget about it being weird, it is incredibly unfair. as a working adult i can not understand how anyone can look at this and think it is alright. But then again kpop fans tend to romanticise and exaggerate groups' bonds to ridiculous and cringey extents. I doubt the same people would agree to share their own hard earned income with people that had absolutely nothing to do with it because of some on-screen "bond"

• i find it very unfair

and for people who are saying they agreed when they signed the contract i really don't think anything would've changed if the idols objected to this point, they probably had to sign it because it's their only choice

But then again kpop fans tend to romanticise and exaggerate groups' bonds to ridiculous and cringey extents.

exactly

• I think no Kpop fans who are talking about this have seen these kpop groups contract. Have they?

If they are sharing their income, it means they have signed the contract where it was clearly stated they will have to share.

If they were adult, it means they did with using their own brain. And if they were not adult at that time, their guardian gave consent. Then how is it weird or unfair?

To think with brain, you don't need fantasy. But most kpop fans don't have it at 1st place.

And most probably this sharing thingy remains for about 3 years from debut on contract.

If I sign a contract of sharing in my work, I will do it. And if I have itching to share, I better not sign at 1st place. It is called working ethics, the thing not a good amount of people seems to have that results in their downfall.

• If they are sharing their income, it means they have signed the contract where it was clearly stated they will have to share.

If they were adult, it means they did with using their own brain. And if they were not adult at that time, their guardian gave consent. Then how is it weird or unfair?

After spending 5 years of their lives as trainees they only have two options: either accept the contract as it is or quit and let them go to waste.

• It's weird for all the individual income to be divided equally. I can understand part of it being used to fund the group since they're still using the group brand to get the solo gigs, but not all of it.

• dizzcity Help me answer this question, JYPE expert

:pepe-comfy:

I am curious too

Suzy clarified this in her personal Twitter account:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Rough translation:

"It's true that we split our income
    But it has changed so that
    we split with different proportions
    for CFs dramas and movies~
    On a broadcast, they said we split everything equally
    It's true that it used to be like that
    But it's not like that right now
    I felt like I had to clear this up..
    Because people were making all sorts of comments about it"

So*mpi also reported about it. This was back in 2014. So basically, they don't split equally. The individual members' income is proportionate to the activities they take part in, as well as according to the different categories of activities. There may be some portion that is still shared by the group, but the majority of the profits should be going to the individual artist.

Previously, in 2010, 2PM had talked about their income-distribution: "We discussed the distribution and settled on it together. Profits made from CFs are divided fairly amongst each member, even if it's in an individual CF." However, for drama appearances, they revealed, "If Taecyeon appears in a drama alone, he gets all of the income from that for himself." "At one point, Nichkhun and Taecyeon were against the distribution, but later agreed that since we're all working under the name of 2PM anyway, it's best for us to share everything."

• Note that this was something the members discussed together and settled by themselves - it wasn't something forced onto them by the company.
    • You can see that even before 2014, JYP Entertainment artists were already having different income-splitting arrangements between the members, depending on the category of activity - CF income shared equally, drama income was individual.
    • In a separate broadcast in 2012, Nichkhun also went on to share why: On the July 11 broadcast of MBC "Radio Star", Nichkhun made his guest appearance on the show. On the show, he commented "Even if I work alone for something, I share the income with my members", to the shock of the MCs on the show. Nichkhun continued, "This is something we promised since our debut. We made this promise this because we figured if we didn't, our teamwork would be broken."

As for GOT7, TWICE, and younger artists, I think the exact financial split have not been revealed yet. (Or maybe they have - I can't keep up with all the VLives. Some of the members might have talked about it.) Obviously, though, certain categories like song royalties are paid separately from performances as artists - so the songwriters of the group would get an extra income from being a songwriter separately from the income they get as an artist performing the song. And things like Jackson's Team Wang would be a completely separate financial entity.

As for CFs... well, I think for TWICE, I'm guessing most of the CF money is actually split equally - considering that TWICE generally go for CFs as a group rather than as individuals, it at least hasn't caused any problems so far. One of the side benefits of doing group promotions instead of solo promotions - you don't get any wide income disparities between group members, which can help again with teamwork. Though it's possible that now that there are starting to be more individual activities, the profit-sharing contracts have been renegotiated to have the income split more proportionately rather than shared equally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!