EACH GROUP STRENGTH (DIGITAL OR PHYSICAL) Pt 1

• After looking at each group digital performance (Korea and internationally) and physical sales per release, considering some groups might be strong in both but one is arguably bigger this is my conclusion:

-2NE1: DIGITAL

I don’t think I need to explain this one, they were queens of digitals.

-BIG BANG: DIGITAL

I don’t have to explain this one neither, they dominated digitals and have many hits in their catalog.

-SNSD: PHYSICAL

Nations girlgroup have plenty hits in Korea but their physical sales stability even with Japanese releases considering the era they debuted is astonishing.

-Super Junior: PHYSICAL

One of the best selling groups ever. Big winners of Gaon quarters and till this day showing incredible consistency on physical albums.

-Shinee: PHYSICAL

Physical wins for this one specially with their new album becoming their best selling one ever.

-EXO: PHYSICAL

Kings of physical sales with over 12M total sales. The artist with the most Gaon quarters awards ever.

-IKON: DIGITAL

It’s a proven fact this group strength ain’t physical sales, their good digitals and performance on korean streaming charts win by a lot.

-WINNER: DIGITAL

Just like IKON they are a digital powerhouse rather than physical.

-TWICE: PHYSICAL

People might argue about this one but they are more consistent with their album sales (korean and Japanese releases) than with their digitals.

-BLACKPINK: DIGITAL

Debut song got a PAK and instant smash hit, continuously breaking streaming records even tho their latest album sold 1M, which is insane, they need more releases reaching that to overtake their digital numbers.

-SEVENTEEN: PHYSICAL

Sales growing insanely each year and making them enter in the top 10 of best selling groups in Korea history in less than 5 years.

-RED VELVET: DIGITAL

Everybody knows the girls rule digitals, their physical will definitely go up next release looking at the members solo salsa but not enough to overtake their digitals.

-MAMAMOO: DIGITAL

The past few year their digitals just keep going up, getting big international hits as well. As many ggs unfortunately their physical sales ain’t that big but really stable.

-OH MY GIRL: DIGITAL

Digitals and physical sales growing at a fast rate but still digitals dominate.

-NCT: PHYSICAL

Their strength is hands down physical sales, they are unstoppable now still reaching new milestones.

-BTS: BOTH? i have no idea

This is a hard one not gonna lie. The group has 8 albums with over 1M sales and massive streams and digitals in Korea and internationally. So for this one I have to say it might be both.

I only did these groups for now, curious about y’all opinion.

Do you agree with each group strength and if you don’t why?

• Twice should be digitals

They have more records for digitals than physicals though or you should make it both because their digitals can’t be ignored

• Twice's digital are far too good for this tho. Even kura kura which was vastly unpromoted did extremely well digitally. Both in sk and more recently their international charting is getting stronger.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Desbundar

• -BTS: BOTH? i have no idea

This is a hard one not gonna lie. The group has 8 albums with over 1M sales and massive streams and digitals in Korea and internationally. So for this one I have to say it might be both.

It's been both since 2017.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• They're the 2nd best selling artist digitally since Gaon's creation in December 2009. Literally only behind IU.

So no.

Well, but he/she has a point. If BTS was as dominant digitally as they are physically they wouldn't be on pair with IU, they would have been destroying her

They are dominant digitally, but it's impossible to anyone be as dominant digitally as BTS are physically.

• How much if you have the data?

This graph is also more than 2 years old, and doesn't count Persona, 7, BE, Savage Love Remix, or Dynamite.

For IU, it doesn't count Love Poem EP, Give you my heart OST, Eight, or the LILAC album.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Well, but he/she has a point. If BTS was as dominant digitally as they are physically they wouldn't be on pair with IU, they would have been destroying her

They are dominant digitally, but it's impossible to anyone be as dominant digitally as BTS are physically.

The point of the thread is what each group's strengths are, and when BTS is not only the best selling physical artist by a very wide margin, but the 2nd best selling digital artist of the past 11 years (and they only started getting their massive hits nearly 7 years after Gaon's creation), then OP was right to say "both".

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Well, but he/she has a point. If BTS was as dominant digitally as they are physically they wouldn't be on pair with IU, they would have been destroying her

main OP mentions that digitals that they took into account are BOTH international + domestic. where internationally... their digitals are miles and miles ahead of everyone else.

• Are we really going to act like BTS isn't the artist with the most Gaon digital points for 3 consecutive years now? And are we going to disregard their International digitals dominance? Spotify? Billboard? They're Digimons AND Physical Monsters. There's a reason a lot of y'all (and twitter) were whining about BTS sweeping Daesangs 2 years in a row.

*Laughing in Bogoshipda*

*Shaking my head in Dynanana*

• I think now for Twice it's physical but career overall it's both, since they had lots of hits early on and physicals were always strong.

BTS definitely both, if you look at worldwide digitals they are leagues ahead of everyone else.

I think you could make an argument for BP too, even though they only have few physical releases, they're very strong in both aspects.

• There is a diff between extreme sales domination and their charts performance. If you think its both, ti would mean they dominate IU as much as they dominate seventeen and nct in sales

That's not the OP's question. It's whether their digitals are a strength of theirs. And it clearly is.

You're being obtuse on purpose now.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• in 2021, i can’t with kpoppies still downplaying bts’ digitals in korea and international as strength. must be hard to swallow. they’ve been killing it for years now.

• That's not the OP's question. It's whether their digitals are a strength of theirs. And it clearly is.

You're being obtuse on purpose now.

No lol in this sentence OP clearly mentions that "one is arguably bigger".

considering some groups might be strong in both but one is arguably bigger this is my conclusion:

In BTS case, their sales result are clearly more dominant and impressive than their chart result.

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!