Today, I took a few hours to dedicate to analyzing the state of 4th generation boy group digitals by taking 10 prominent
rookie/new generation boy groups and calculating averages across
- Melon ULs
- Melon streams
- Genie unique listeners (across title tracks)
- Gaon digital points (if applicable)
- cumulative streams on Genie for Korean albums (single, mini, and full)
I also added in their Melon followers.
Below in the spoiler is my methodology:
- Calculate the average of the total cumulative Genie streams across a group's Korean albums (single, mini, and full).
- Find the average of the total unique listeners for all of a group's official Korean title tracks.
- For every Korean (single, mini, and full) album on Melon, add the likes of every track together, then divide by the number of tracks. Do this for every album, then divide all of those averages by the number of albums to find the average like count per song.
- Average a group's Melon streams per album.
- Average a group's Melon ULs by title tracks (+ singles if applicable).
- Find the Gaon digital index points for all songs that a group may have charted, and average them by number of tracks that charted.
Divide each of these 5 values by 1000.
Add each value for each group together!
With that in mind, here is the ranking of all 10 groups based on digital proficiency.
1. TXT - 99172
2. AB6IX - 80331
3. The Boyz - 25728
4. Enhypen - 23869
5. Cravity - 22353
6. CIX - 13075
7. Stray Kids - 11456
8. Treasure - 8807
9. Oneus - 7883
10. ATEEZ - 5386
- Enhypen's placement is heavily skewed based on the fact that the final score is affected by average values, so their comeback should show their real placement.
- The Boyz and Oneus had their RTK singles, Checkmate and COME BACK HOME respectively, counted as part of their albums for Genie and Melon since they sparked huge fandom growth for both groups.
- Stray Kids' Melon like total for "In LIFE" counted every track that appeared twice in addition to the 8 new tracks. The same applies for Treasure's "Treasure Effect" & AB6IX's
"A NEW HOPE" and their respective reappearing tracks.
- Stray Kids' average cumulative Genie streams accounted for the 9 reappearing tracks on "IN Life"; same applies for Treasure's "Treasure Effect" & AB6IX's "A NEW HOPE".
- AB6IX's Melon like total for "A NEW HOPE" counted every track that appeared twice in addition to the 7 new tracks.
- I counted "Mixtape" for Stray Kids since it had an official physical release on Gaon.
- ATEEZ's average Genie unique listeners reflected only the official title tracks (Pirate King, WAVE, and Inception).
- Any decimal point values were rounded down if <.5, or up if >.5
Here is the breakdown on a Google Sheet document: