GFRIEND - What Went Wrong?

• Official Post

They went from massive success with Me Gustas Tu and Rough to massively underperforming with Fingertip, snatching a decent hit with TFTMN, but they haven't snatched a hit or seen any success since. From 2017-now, many other girl groups such as Red Velvet, BP, Mamamoo, etc have managed to see more success.

This lack of success would inevitably lead to their disbandment, but what went wrong? How did they get from the highs of MGT/Rough to the lows of every comeback after TFTMN and eventual disbandment?

• When MAGO couldn't even capture the public's attention, I kind of had the feeling they were in trouble. Such an amazing song that got paid with dust. I don't get it. I'm really gonna miss GFriend.

• gp lost interest with their music , and they have no it girls to increase the hype for the group

Also.....too many comeback ? (If that even make sense)

Tho they not doing well since 2019 but their peak during 2016-2018 was crazy especially coming from non big3 gg from unknown company

Wasn't eunha really popular?

• their company took way too long to change their music direction........when they finally did people already lost interest, kpop industry walks way too fast and if you can't find a way to constantly draw people attention you are forgotten

• It’s hard for most groups especially girl groups to switch concepts and sounds since the public is so use to their original identity but Gfriend rebounded after fingertip with Love Whisper then again with Time for the moonlight. It’s not like they hit a peak after fingertip they actually had a good run for most girl groups in terms of charting.

Honestly though this is where I would give props to Wonder Girls. Not a lot of groups can be like them. From drastically changing their whole concept up from a idol group to a band with a new sound that the public still enjoyed and to do well too.

Anyway as I said above I think Source had no clue what to do with their sound. They kept going back and forth to which the public lost interest in them then K-pop exploding internationally Gfriend wasn’t what people were looking for.

Talented girls though.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• We don't know really. We can just make guesses.

I don't think lack of success is the problem as we see some groups last a very long time despite not having what people here consider success and lot of groups had success and disbanded anyway.

Getting tired of GG lifestyle and wanting to move on seem more likely explanation (Like groups that didn't have a good reason for disbandment like Sistar and Girl's Day, for instance).

It is too early to tell what really happened. We don't have individual statements of what each member's thoughts on this and what they plan for the future yet. It shouldn't be a surprise that a GG disbands despite any circumstances. The surprising part in this case is how abrupt and non-ceremonial it was.

Anyway, with all girl groups, I think we have to assume the vast majority will not last anyway. I can only think of BEG (kinda, I don't think they really count in practice), SM GG groups (kinda also don't count IMO, they are a special case), Apink (and with Naeun's departure, who knows), and Mamamoo. Only Mamamoo seems like a proper continuation. That's 3 + SM special case out of how many from 2nd and 3rd gen total? Odds are really really bad to just pass the first resigning hurdle.

• A mix of publics lost on interest and newer groups coming in. Gfriend were clearly big early on in their career, often competing with twice, but as they never really had hits after hits and newer groups were debuting etc. Kpop is brutal, sad reality and when newer groups came out, older groups that don't have a massive support have to work twice as hard to compete and I guess they're just fed up. It doesn't look easy or fun tbh being an idol. Looks like a lot of stress probably more than it's worth if you're not a top group.

:peperain:

aespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgiraespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

æ- "𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝔼𝕧𝕠, 𝔼𝕧𝕠𝕝𝕦𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟" -𝕒𝕖𝕤𝕡𝕒 -æ

• 1. Small company background (they always have to rely on catchy music or popular members)

2. Visuals. Pretty much THE thing that will put you at the top

3. No individual member success

Mamamoo faced the same first two problems but they managed to impress the public over and over and over again with their performances and charisma (Gfriend also did it with their super sharp dance moves and choreos but I guess you can't pull off the same trick twice). Eventually, Hwasa also exploded and the rest is history. They are a big exception to the rule.

Also, to compare Gfriend with Blackpink and Red Velvet is very naive. They had guaranteed success since the very beginning.

• they weren't doing bad, they still could move fans and if they continued, have around 50k+ sales secured.

I think the problem is that 1. The company didn't want to give them what they asked for and 2. After hitting their peak, they didn't see much use to continue with such a tiring life as idols. They probably want to rest and grow as individuals

• They went from massive success with Me Gustas Tu and Rough to massively underperforming with Fingertip, snatching a decent hit with TFTMN, but they haven't snatched a hit or seen any success since. From 2017-now, many other girl groups such as Red Velvet, BP, Mamamoo, etc have managed to see more success.

This lack of success would inevitably lead to their disbandment, but what went wrong? How did they get from the highs of MGT/Rough to the lows of every comeback after TFTMN and eventual disbandment?

why you don't mention success with Moonlight, Crossroads, Apple and Mago?

Are you an anti?

With 73 music Show wins GFriend belongs to 10 most successful Girl groups in s-korea.

• 1. The girls have been complaining about source, and as badly as I would want them to stick together, part of me also wanted them away from that god awful company. The slippery stage did not happen once, it happened 3 times. They've had to cancel multiple greets and shows as it was not safe for various of reasons. They even put them at risk at the start of Covid.

2. Garbage promotion, Mago wasn't the first time their sales dipped, and that's because the promotions tend to be ALL OVER the place, and they lack stock. They weren't trying to break into other markets either, they would had made it in Japan if there was more effort involved, but nope. Didn't even bother trying in int. Solo work was non-existent for most of them, even though it would had also greatly helped.

3. Song choices, since they want to focus South Korea and no where else, they should had been listening. TFTMN was a success because it struck an emotional cord with the public. Then they followed it up with Sunny Summer, and the public went ''The fuck?''. Contrary to what people believe on here, they didn't flop because ''all their songs sound the same'', KR had no issue with this, they just cared about the quality of it and they can actually understand the lyrics, so if the lyrics are jank, it won't do well.

MGT, Rough, Navillera, all sound the same, right? They all did really great.

Fingertip, change, did poorly.

Love Whisper didn't do as bad, not the height/peak good, but it did okay.

Summer Rain had complaints it was boring and too slow, boring was also a complaint I saw often for Sunny Summer.

TFTMN did amazing, not peak amazing but really good. Sounded like their old stuff, but it really gets messy from here on out.

Sunny Summer, KR said it was forgettable, and they already dealt with not liking Fingertip, so their trust is starting to fade.

Sunrise got skipped, it didn't get any comments about it at all from KR. Here, sure, people complained, but this forum isn't KR. We do not have the same tastes as them nor the same reasons.

Fever, why. Just why. This further ruined their trust. This was the nail in the coffin for the public.

The poor promotion, constant lack of stock in physicals meant even if the fans wanted to support them, there was issues. Shows/meet ups getting cancelled, lack of merch, etc. This management was awful.

The girls have commented a few times how rude for lack of better wording that the company ceo and management can be. They did not appreciate the girls at all.

It wasn't just one thing, it wasn't only digital as they had physicals(whenever the shit was in stock), it was multiple issues.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!