Isn’t it funny how ifans hated cute concepts when Twice was doing it but now they embrace it?

• A couple of years ago cute concepts was the thing ifans hated the most. Being described as cute was considered an insult. When RV came back with Rookie their fans stretched all sorts of semantics to avoid calling the concept with the C-word.

Now present times ifans are suddenly embracing cute groups like Weeekly, STAYC, and to a lesser extent Wooah and LIGHTSUM. Nugu girl crush groups get mostly ignored.

Their change of attitude seems to have happened when Twice switched over to more mature concepts.

• It's also funny that a lot of these cute groups are getting more heat than the boring ass GC groups.

But you know how it is. People will hate on Twice than and now for anything and everything.

• Honestly, cute concepts are not really my thing. I really like Twice's mature concept, it is what made me stan them. So not all I-fans are like that. The only way I would accept a song with a cute concept is if it is catchy and I like it. Which is exactly why I love What Is LOVE!!!!!? If the group can distribute the cute concept right then I will love it. But I will always prefer more mature concepts.

• Official Post

Unless you have solid evidence of people changing their tune, I feel like people who hated cute concepts then still hate cute concepts now.

• i have always hated cute and still do

I like badass badboy concept. Ever since day 1. I got into kpop because of b.a.p warrior

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Honestly, cute concepts are not really my thing. I really like Twice's mature concept, it is what made me stan them. So not all I-fans are like that. The only way I would accept a song with a cute concept is if it is catchy and I like it. Which is exactly why I love What Is LOVE!!!!!? If the group can distribute the cute concept right then I will love it. But I will always prefer more mature concepts.

IMO, cute songs are the catchiest. To me, TWICE's cute songs are catchy af. Even if I don't like cute I would still dance to and sing them.

• I said evidence of people changing their opinions, not "some random quora post with zero follow up".

I still can't believe his "solid evidence" is a Quora post. :angryr::angryr::angryr::angryr:

>bunch of anti-cute concept threads made during the 2015-2019 era

>threads got erased from the internet due to forum turnover

>can't post anti-cute threads from other forums

>everyone else who lived through that era knows and has seen it themselves

> you weren't present during that time and not noticed the change in trend

everyone else knows

• thank god i wasnt one of those ppl. ngl ive always been more biased to gc than cute but why cant we do both? like i love stayc. honestly twice shouldnt switch completely to a more mature concept but switch between the two concepts. like every other big gg is pulling this with the red and velvet switch or even blackpink. they always promote the title track with a bside of a diff genre like ktl and dkwtd or the opposite with lovesick girl and prety savage. they started recently with icsm and the other bside but nothing is stopping them from doing a more light concept and dont say age. I think the summer comeback will lean a little more cute.

• I feel like most people that didn't like cute concepts still don't like them. The only difference between then and now is that for the past couple years almost EVERY girl group was doing girl crush. Now some fans are so sick of it that they're embracing cuter concepts.

• I said evidence of people changing their opinions, not "some random quora post with zero follow up".

Honestly, this is like advertising yourelf as a child or moron. Not that I disagree with your point one way or another.

But asking for concrete proof based and circumstantial happenings is like walking around with the dunce hat on.

• Official Post

And again... people who hated cute concepts still hate cute concepts.

You do realize that the international kpop fanbase has pretty much quadrupled since 2015-2019 right? There are fans of StayC and Weeekly who didn't even know who Twice and GFriend were back then and there are still fans today who aren't fans of StayC and Weeekly because they are doing cute concepts.

The fact that Twice and GFriend both gained a lot of "well I wasn't really a fan of them when they debuted, but I like their recent stuff" comments is indicative of the fact that the fans who were around then and hated cute concepts still hate them and only became fans of the group when they switched to mature concepts.

• Official Post

Honestly, this is like advertising yourelf as a child or moron. Not that I disagree with your point one way or another.

But asking for concrete proof based and circumstantial happenings is like walking around with the dunce hat on.

I really don't care, but OP regularly makes ridiculous generalizations that he bases on one tweet with two likes.

• And again... people who hated cute concepts still hate cute concepts.

Thanks for missing the entire point, but the topic is the collective narrative of ifans, not what some individuals think. Before it was common to post a lot of threads complaining about cute concepts. Those who disliked cute were very loud and open about it, especially during the era of Twice's rise and peak.

Now those people, whoever they may be, are often quiet about it and hence there's barely any anti-cute threads in recent time. Instead there's more pro-cute group threads visible.

Weeekly and STAYC get praise and hype, Twice and GFRIEND were ridiculed for being cute by non-fans.

• I really don't care, but OP regularly makes ridiculous generalizations that he bases on one tweet with two likes.

Yeah so say that. If you disagree than disagree.

I'm just commenting on the ridiculousness of asking for evidence on something as broad as this as if he's going to whip out a 2-4 year long report of his field research on the opinion of cute concept groups in the international Kpop community and failing to do as much means it's obviously a wrong opinion.

• Sucessful groups are the ones who got the more hate

Who is Weekly or Light Sum in first place. Who will lose their time trolling and sending hate to them?

Once cute groups starting smashing like Twice or Blackpink then hate threads will appear

GFRIEND were getting a lot of hate when they were still nugus

GIDLE is not even 1/5th as big as BPink but a lot of Twitter still hates them even though other groups also did CA

• This is a fact. Seriously if we had the old allkpop threads back and see what y’all be saying about twice cute concepts, the stereotype that comes with the concept and compare those threads today there would be a big difference in how people responded to cute concepts. Even on girl group stan Twitter was hating on twice.

Anyway, twice got a lot of flak for their cute concepts so it is funny seeing the flip flopping.

tumblr_nzies3E9yh1uf1itwo1_500.gif

LORD & SAVIOR PARK JIHYO | ITZY | YUKIKA | RUANN | | TWICE | BRAVE GIRLS | APRIL | FROMIS_9 | TOMMY FEBRUARY6

• GFRIEND were getting a lot of hate when they were still nugus

GIDLE is not even 1/5th as big as BPink but a lot of Twitter still hates them even though other groups also did CA

Lol, you won't create narratives for me. Gfriend only stated to get slightly know by iFans after Rough, even during Me Gustas Tu incident they were fairly unknow, their music wasn't even on Spotify for quite sometime. Nobody was sending them hate because nobody talk about them at all, they were like Oh My Girl before Nonstop

People start sending Gfriend hate during Navillera comeback and even more during Fingertip era, because they flopped when they tried to change concept

G Idle is a girlcrush group, further proving concept doesn't matter. As long you are sucessful you are getting hate. Is Mamamoo a cute group?

• so we have reached a conclusion the ppl that hated cute then prob still dont like it now and the rest were jumping at any chance to hate on twice. its always gg that are more pressured for concept changes honestly like let them be.

• Lol, you won't create narratives for me. Gfriend only stated to get slightly know by iFans after Rough, even during Me Gustas Tu incident they were fairly unknow, their music wasn't even on Spotify for quite sometime. Nobody was sending them hate because nobody talk about them at all, they were like Oh My Girl before Nonstop

People start sending Gfriend hate during Navillera comeback and even more during Fingertip era, because they flopped when they tried to change concept

G Idle is a girlcrush group, further proving concept doesn't matter. As long you are sucessful you are getting hate. Is Mamamoo a cute group?

> GFRIEND company does some media play setting parallels to SNSD's debut

> Korean and international SNSD fans go on hate campaign against these nugus for DARING to be compared to SNSD

> GFRIEND actually begins to rise in success, hate intensifies

> Twice debuts some time later and also gets compared to SNSD, making them a target

> GFRIEND and Twice are both 'cute', instead of attacking the groups directly they attack cute concept so it synonymous with generic and low quality

> Twice and GFRIEND become the top GGs

> cute has become the embodiment of all evil to 2nd gen GG stans who's faves declined or left the industry

> GFRIEND & Twice change off cute, and BPink overtakes them internationally

> demonizing cute no longer of any use in attacking their biases 'threats'

I thought we all knew this

• Personally I just got used to such concepts. I ain't a fan at all, but at least I don't feel like I'm gonna vomit while watching it and even can find smth okeyish at times.

• I think a lot of K-Pop fans, especially multis, have got a lot more acclimatized to cute concepts just through casual exposure.

You're right that it happened right around the time Twice concepts started changing. I think that was coincidence though, not a snub! It might be a good time for Twice to come back with cute concepts though if they fancied it. They are the final boss of that concept.

• Personally I didn’t like cute concept and still don’t do it. There was a couple of song what was that catchy though that even I knew them a lot. Like that Gfriend song what was literally everywhere at one point. I’m not sure the title. Rough maybe? I liked twice’s debut song a lot but after the crying emoji song I stopped following they activity. Not hate from my side, just no interest. Never understood the hate for something that is not your taste. Simply staying away is much better. Why give extra stress for yourself 😩

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!