Who are your "Big Three" girl groups of the fourth generation?

• This isn't which group you like more; this is which groups you think will be remembered as the most popular and dominant girl groups of their era.

I saw this conversation derail a thread on Reddit, and I need to know the people of AKP know their girl groups and won't make the same amateurish mistakes Reddit did.

My top 3, IN ORDER, are:

1. NewJeans (obviously)

2. IVE

3. aespa

Let me see yours ;judgingpepe:

• 1. NewJeans

2. aespa

3. Ive

Currently that's my ranking and i think aespa can still do really well in the future, while I think Ive's dominance is pretty much over. Hence why I put aespa above even tho at first glance i did agree with your ranking.

Being able to be on top for 5 years is greater than peaking during 2 years and then decline and fade.

I personally think Ive hype is over. But with the right songs, aespa could be on top right below NJs. (Overall)

Somehow this hybe controversy revived the aespa hype. And with these amazing releases they're slaying. They have a very strong identity as well unlike Ive.

And if no NJs, then on top altogether.

• You both realize it was from 2021 all the way to 2024 before aespa had a National Hit level song, right?

I'm not saying they had no hits, but IVE had a crazy streak of HUGE hit songs from Eleven to Love Dive to After Like to I Am. A couple of those songs even rival NewJeans' biggest hits.

aespa has Next Level, and then nothing on that level until Supernova

IVE also are still the second most streamed girl group in Korea behind only NewJeans, while having the highest cumulative albums sales.

Stick to the FACTS :pepe-notes:

• How do you derail a topic on Reddit? I thought each comment was their own thing? Most dominant and popular?

Can you be more specific with your criteria? Most popular and dominant are a bit vague.

• How do you derail a topic on Reddit? I thought each comment was their own thing? Most dominant and popular?

Can you be more specific with your criteria? Most popular and dominant are a bit vague.

If someone walked up to you and said, "Dear Varenka, my sweet summer child, who were the 3 most popular girl groups of the 4th generation of K-Pop?", how would you answer

And reddit thread derailed because someone called LSF a top 3 girl group while complaining about all the hate they get, and half the responses were about whether or not they were ever top 3 instead of the actual topic.

• Yeah but they had it again. They're BACK. And it's kind of a miracle. The right promo with the right music!

Well now Ive had Either Way/Baddie, Heya/Accendio decline. While aespa had Supernova/Armageddon. So...

And what I'm trying to say is that i think that with the right songs, aespa can stay on top. The hybe is back.

If Ive doesn’t get a major hit this comback around, then overall, their impact on the 4th gen will be smaller than aespa's. Specially if aespa comebacks with another top hit song.

• Spicy is also a very popular song in Korea! Ive have been underperforming for 2 consecutive cbs, and their debut hype was over after I am! Aespa’s next comeback is knocking the door, so just wait a little!

• No. I need to see more. Third is the most they deserve. Supernova is their first huge hit in nearly 4 years, fam. 4. Years.

And can we say it's as big a hit song as Love Dive or I Am? I'm not so sure.

aespa still lags IVE on Circle Digital Index and total album sales

They need to take the #2 spot. I will not give it to them

Spicy is also a very popular song in Korea! Ive have been underperforming for 2 consecutive cbs, and their debut hype was over after I am! Aespa’s next comeback is knocking the door, so just wait a little!

Spicy is decently popular, yes. It's not even a top 10 biggest hit song of the fourth generation though. It might not even make top 15.

Whereas Supernova is easily top 10, if not pushing for top 5. That is the difference in hit song.

And that top 5? It would be all NewJeans and IVE songs

• Tbh I feel we should include (G)I-DLE as well together with the 3 mentioned that many would agree with.

(G)I-DLE has got a string of hits over the past few years and don't forget (I might be wrong) that I think Fate still has the most digital points out of all the GG songs this year?

I would if I expanded it to four. They're my last group just off on the podium.

But they honestly could have a strong argument to be ranked ahead of aespa. No girl group has ever done four straight PAKs. Until they did it.

They also sold the most albums in any one promotion cycle of any girl group.

Yeah, I could easily make a case for them over aespa

• If someone walked up to you and said, "Dear Varenka, my sweet summer child, who were the 3 most popular girl groups of the 4th generation of K-Pop?", how would you answer

And reddit thread derailed because someone called LSF a top 3 girl group while complaining about all the hate they get, and half the responses were about whether or not they were ever top 3 instead of the actual topic.

lol

I guess I would say it depends on what your criteria are. How are we weighing domestic and international successes. But I guess this really comes down to which three of the top five are the top three? I would have NewJeans and IVE in there, and then one of either Le SSerafim, (G)I-DLE, and aespa being the third pick depending on what factors you think are relevant. I'm partial to give it to (G)I-DLE based on longevity.

NewJeans, IVE, (G)I-DLE.

• lol

I guess I would say it depends on what your criteria are. How are we weighing domestic and international successes. But I guess this really comes down to which three of the top five are the top three? I would have NewJeans and IVE in there, and then one of either Le SSerafim, (G)I-DLE, and aespa being the third pick depending on what factors you think are relevant. I'm partial to give it to (G)I-DLE based on longevity.

NewJeans, IVE, (G)I-DLE.

I respect that. I'm top lazy to type out their name properly on my phone, but they have a very strong argument for third

As for criteria, I leave that to you, the people, to decide for your own lists

• Spicy, Drama is bigger than Heya and Baddie

And could you give a link to Reddit thread that you mentioned?

• I respect that. I'm top lazy to type out their name properly on my phone, but they have a very strong argument for third

As for criteria, I leave that to you, the people, to decide for your own lists

Then I'd definitely go for (G)I-DLE. I dislike their music the most from the five, but I can't deny their success.

NewJeans: 2022

IVE: 2021

aespa: 2020

Le Sserafim: 2022

(G)I-DLE: 2018

Unlike ITZY, idle has actually maintained their spot as 4th generation leads even through the bullying scandal throughout the entirety of the generation. They still sell well, they chart well. Very popular in Asia. It's hard not to give them the nod in my opinion.

NewJeans, IVE, and (G)I-DLE are my final answers.

• 1. NewJeans

2. IVE

3. aespa

I think aespa has the potential to climb since they seem to be still peaking, but right now this is my ranking.

And I think people putting aespa above IVE is pure recency bias, because IVE has sold more physical records, has a bigger tour and has more big hits domestically and internationally. If aespa keep their current momentum then It's another story.

;judgingpepe:

• as a my karina has more instagram follower so that tips the scale a bit since nj dont even make noise in the brand reputation ranking it really is this

1.aespa

2.ive

3.nj

• Tbh I feel we should include (G)I-DLE as well together with the 3 mentioned that many would agree with.

(G)I-DLE has got a string of hits over the past few years and don't forget (I might be wrong) that I think Fate still has the most digital points out of all the GG songs this year?

I agree. They're heading into their seventh year going strong. They are deceptively underrated in terms of success because they're not as popular in the west, I think.

Some of these current top groups? I wouldn't be so sure if they'll be entering their seventh year as a top group considering some of the newest arrivals onto the scene such as Illit, SMNGG, and even some like Moevv and Izna may bring too strong of competition. Even some nugus and mid-tiers may blow up in the coming years to displace them :ihazacape:

• I don’t agree with international hits tho!

Supernova, Drama and Armageddon are bigger hits than any Ive song! Also Spicy is bigger than Baddie, Heya internationally! Tho I agree that Love Dive, I am, After Like are bigger than Black Mamba, Next Level and Savage!

As for the tour Ive’s first world tour is indeed more successful than Aespa’s 1st world tour, but Aespa is doing their 2nd world tour where their Asian leg alone is equal to Aespa’s first world tour!

I am personally putting Aespa above Ive because Ive have been underperforming 2 cbs consecutively! While Aespa have been peaking 2 cbs consecutively!

The thing with ggs is after their debut hype is over, many people will move on to next shiny gg! It happened with Aespa with girls! Girls is a very good Aespa core song, and is a better song than Savage and Next Level imo! But Aespa was able to hit back! We shall see if Ive can hit back again

• I think it’s still too soon for top 3 honestly :melon_think: it will 100 percent change by 2026 with the all these new groups but currently top 4 is aespa, Ive, Nj and gidle. I’ve heard Gidle and even Ive aren’t doing well Internationally currently but they’re still reliable in Korea. Especially gidle who are still charting in top 5/10.

In the next 2 to 3 years I think we will get a solidified top 3 for 4th gen gg before 5th gen take over :/

• Don't tell that lie. Girls is trash. Illusion was way better.

Neither were National Hits though

I don’t have to! Savage chorus is atrocious and Next level is a cocktail which I can’t digest, while Girls is very cohesive and has a bridge, good chorus, dance break, very good beat, vocals and verses and is a 4minute song!

Illusion is a good song but I can’t stand with those slurpy sounds, and chorus isn’t strong enough to be better than girls! Tho bridge is better than Girls bridge

Spicy, Drama is bigger than Heya and Baddie

And could you give a link to Reddit thread that you mentioned?

And you didn’t respond to this ;judgingpepe:

• Drama and Armageddon aren't bigger than any IVE song internationally, tho. Supernova... we will see in terms of longevity, I think It has the potential, since they also got a nice hit in another big market outside Korea, like Japan, with this one.

About the touring, I was comparing both 'Show What I Have' and 'Hyper Line' since they are complete, while IVE hasn't started their 2nd tour and aespa neither hasn't finished Paralell Line, nor announced all the dates.

As I said, I see the potential in aespa to reach higher peaks (and I'm also rooting for it, because they are one of girlgroups I like the most), but I believe IVE is still bigger and I don't think It's impossible IVE can get big hits again since they are still pretty fresh and popular.

• This thread contains 47 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!