[enter-talk] AM I THE ONLY ONE DISAPPOINTED WITH IU ㅠ

• [enter-talk] AM I THE ONLY ONE DISAPPOINTED WITH IU

AVvXsEipgZQua1iPdvLRKJyPBXpzLKeHVJMTk0tbKEgttFNizD7JLa8HqnoZx_YcDUFk-yqdTpYhfJnN-l1BNx84DB1LYX_AY06xdX0uhUoDQYZ8yRTpOFk0e6KctSFxpNzADfKBBSKkDIXYi23hIHUn0cOSwQNGwQTZjR58G760qO7VFWWV5QB7iYvI1ZyMMQ09=w640-h640

When she was in her mid to late 20s, she kept talking about how she can't wait to be in her 30s
    And once she turned 30, she started talking about her age a lot in songs and in interviews
    So I was expected her to be a bit more adult-like...? I don't know how to put this, but I wished they'd give more mature versions of songs like she used to do in her early 20s and same with the styling, but instead, it was the complete opposite. She's going for the super young MZ Holssi and Shopper. It was such a disappointment ㅜ I thought she would go back to her Red Shoes days
    I know that Blueming and BbiBbi aren't all of IU's mood, but she's been doing those idols concept for so long, so I was wishing her to be in her 30s already and I'm disappointed
    Rather than bleached pink hair, wolf cut, cat ear fur hats, and kitschy high teen stuff, I would much rather something similar to Flower Bookmark, Red Shoes, Friday, with her short brown bob hair ...

What was the point of her mediaplaying about her being in her 30s and her age if she's going to do this ㅠㅠㅠ

post response:
    [+250][-54]
    original post: here

1. [+103, -12]
    Me too, I've been an Uena since the 1st generation all the way to the 6th generation, and ever since she started doing BbiBbi, I started becoming more disappointed. And when she released Shopper, I barely even listened to her album ㅠ I feel like IU's identity is portrayed by her sadness and loveliness? but right now, her style has become so blurred... First of all, she also changed her way of singing and her entire aura changed. I'm left listening to only the albums she released before BbiBbi ㅠ

2. [+94, -8]
    When people enter their 30s, they often think the world will change drastically, and I bet she got all worked up about her life and musical career, but honestly, turning 30 isn’t all that different from being in your 20s. Nothing changes dramatically. I think those kinds of comments come from the significant changes felt when transitioning from your teens to your 20s. I believe she'll probably undergo more musical changes as she approaches her 40s than she's doing it now

3. [+86, -8]
    It's because IU shed away her girlish image too fast ..ㅠㅠ She looks cute so even until the end of her 20s, she can still pull off songs like Good Day, You & I, Red Shoes... I feel like she should've released Palette in her 30s

4. [+69, -12]
    I rather IU not make it obvious that she's aging, she's allowed to age, but she'll keep losing her image if she does that

5. [+64, -6]
    IU needs to be banned from dancing... And from having those excessive makeup... Stop with songs like Shopper... I want to listen to songs like Knees ㅠㅠㅠ

• The Winning is definitely a new direction for her.

Only LWA felt like vintage IU.

But if IU (or any artist) only stick with what they succeeded with, they will very quickly become irrelevant.

IU has reinvented herself constantly. Debuting with the dark ballad that flopped, she pivoted to bubblegum, sound success with anthemic Good day, You & I, turned to Jazz in Modern Times, more personal diarist pop from chatshire to Palette, then Bbibbi to Eight was another eclectic phase, Lilac she went back to her grand sounds

Yes the styling and sounds of The Winning are very different, I am not a fan of what I call the ragamuffin style, and yes styling her like an younger idol is not my preference.

But it fits the theme of songs like Holssi and she delivers them well.

At all points there would have been fans, who liked her previous phase better, but to get new fans reinvention is necessary.

As she declares, she has chosen not to settle as a flower, but float freely as a spore trying new things - styling, music, markets.

At her stature, she can afford to take some risks and lead audience tastes, rather than play safe and give what they are used to.

I admire her taking the risk, even if I don't like the new style

And she hasn't entirely taken away her familiar style too, still gives a sample

And it has worked, isn't she still PAKing and packing the stadiums.

So good for her

• The Winning is definitely a new direction for her.

Only LWA felt like vintage IU.

But if IU (or any artist) only stick with what they succeeded with, they will very quickly become irrelevant.

IU has reinvented herself constantly. Debuting with the dark ballad that flopped, she pivoted to bubblegum, sound success with anthemic Good day, You & I, turned to Jazz in Modern Times, more personal diarist pop from chatshire to Palette, then Bbibbi to Eight was another eclectic phase, Lilac she went back to her grand sounds

Yes the styling and sounds of The Winning are very different, I am not a fan of what I call the ragamuffin style, and yes styling her like an younger idol is not my preference.

But it fits the theme of songs like Holssi and she delivers them well.

At all points there would have been fans, who liked her previous phase better, but to get new fans reinvention is necessary.

As she declares, she has chosen not to settle as a flower, but float freely as a spore trying new things - styling, music, markets.

At her stature, she can afford to take some risks and lead audience tastes, rather than play safe and give what they are used to.

I admire her taking the risk, even if I don't like the new style

And she hasn't entirely taken away her familiar style too, still gives a sample

And it has worked, isn't she still PAKing and packing the stadiums.

So good for her

• did they listen to the whole album or what?? she's trying to balance catchy upbeat music with ballads like shh. i do hope to listen more of her jazz/bossa nova side again but these people act like once you're 30 all you have to do is make sad ballads until the end of your career, what a joke

• modern times is better than the trashy music that most kpop groups put out

I don't see anything modern in what she does and at least trashy music provide something new to watch.

There is no evolution in her music, it's just the quality of m/v that has changed.

She's a soloist. A soloist shouldn’t limit herself to one concept, (like groups do) at least not when you've been active for 15 years.

• I can't get into her music because it's too basic... I don't speak Korean so ballads don't really reach me.

15 years in music but she never took risks.

And I don't think it will change

First of all, 16 years!

Second: Her music is basic and she never took any risks?

I wanted to say this about the dumb Knetz comments, but I feel I should say that people in general don't know anything about IU, let alone her career as an artist!

I do wonder people who say she didn't take risks or her songs are the same, how many songs they actually heard. I'm 99% sure that they only heard her title tracks. And even those are more versatile than basically every title track from most mainstream groups.

I would be here for a whole week if I have to write down all the concept she did, and the risks she took in the past 16 years! I don't think there's a single group that had more concepts or more diverse discography than IU. Maybe 2 or 3 groups.

You don't have to speak Korean, to understand the most basic things about music. She's not only one of the best POET, Lyricist whatever you wanna call her, but composition of her songs (most of them) are more complex than most Kpop group songs.

I don't see anything modern in what she does and at least trashy music provide something new to watch.

There is no evolution in her music, it's just the quality of m/v that has changed.

She's a soloist. A soloist shouldn’t limit herself to one concept, (like groups do) at least not when you've been active for 15 years.

I'm sorry, but what? You LISTEN to music, not WATCHING them! Why are you talking about MV's?

For the record, IU one of the first Kpop artist who made MV's like a real movie! Since day 1! I mean, just watch "Lost Child" for example. Every Kpop fans was like. "What on Earth is this?" And she did that when she was a nobody! And now, look at "Love Wins All", easily the best MV of 2024, and song as well! Probably the only song and MV that can stand on its own, unlike most Kpop MV's/songs.

Also, "there's no evolution in her music"? Most Kpop groups (especially the overhyped ones) can only dream about a musical evolution that she has! Here, watch this video, and this is only scratching the surface! This is like the 20% of her entire discography!

People who only listen to title tracks or more popular songs, should stop talking about a career of a singer.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Whatttt? IU’s music has 10000 % evolved and continues to do so. Like songs from her early albums vs now are very different in lyrics and how she delivers them vocally —- also why can’t singers sing the genre they love etc.? and I love that she can have songs from different genres and styles - not all of them are ballads but her ballads are top amazing.

I find that it is also very mature - did these fans ignore

“Shh” on The Winning?!?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Same goes for Love Wins All - the way she sings it isn’t something she could have done this way earlier in her career

• I can't get into her music because it's too basic... I don't speak Korean so ballads don't really reach me.

You don't know Korean and neither do you know IU's discography.

A shallow opinion based on shallow reading/listening.

Risks - that is subjective, perhaps what you mean by risk is 'risque' and doing controversial things. Then no, thankfully IU is not such a person. When every idol seeks fame by being edgy/controversial/exposing etc., IU achieved it by being graceful/decent/profound.

But the mere fact that she succeeded in a solo career, in an industry dominated by groups - is a RISKY achievement. And she was well aware of the challenges.

And in concepts she went from Dark Ballad to Bubblegum to Anthemic Ballads to Jazz/Brassband to bringing back Folk into Kpop to pioneered Personal Kpop to Alt RnB Diss tracks all the way to an open structured song like Shh..

Anyway, some people are lazy and think IU should be dumbed down to ballads, it is their loss. Thankfully the Korean public is not that lazy and all that matters is their opinion.

• You have your opinion and I have mine... and for me there is no evolution in her music (only her m/v has evolved).

IU today is like the IU I discovered in "Dream high"

She plays it too safe and and I'm no longer interested.

• Good for her if it works like,

I said what I had to say

Everyone is free to listen to what they want

• Good for her if it works like,

I said what I had to say

Everyone is free to listen to what they want

Of course everyone is free. But opinions expressed in ignorance, will be corrected.

You can very well say, "Whatever I have listened to of IU's music, is not to my taste" - then that is your subjective taste and decision.

But when you make statements like - she does only ballads, takes no risks -that is just ignorance, and will be construed as a shade.

Simple.

And some may respond based on your id of "panpriyah" that you are BLINK and a BP fan is hardly in any position to comment upon any artists discography or lack of variety of it, given how thin and similar BP's discography is. But anyway.

• - BP is a group led by yg and IU is a soloist who has more freedom in her works and when you stay solo for almost 15-16 years in your career, there is some change that people expect.

I never said that she only did ballads but her ballads don't reach me.

agree or not, that's how I saw it and I don't think it would change

• You have your opinion and I have mine... and for me there is no evolution in her music (only her m/v has evolved).

IU today is like the IU I discovered in "Dream high"

She plays it too safe and and I'm no longer interested.

Sure, but don't mix facts with opinions!

Opinion is when you say, you don't like her music, and that's totally fine! Saying her music has no evolution is NOT an opinion, because there are actual facts that prove you're wrong! Not to mention, you said it yourself, you don't listen to her music, so there's goes your argument.

Show me ANY mainstream Kpop group that released songs in many genres like she did, not just pop, dance, hip hop or EDM. She released music in many genres! You're saying there's no evolution in her music when she evolved not only as a songwriter or a singer, but as a composer as well.

The composition of her songs alone is above many Kpop groups, even if we only look at The Winning album!

Love Wins All, is pretty much one of the hardest song to sing, it's not a typical ballad, like many people say!

When we're talking about a music career without any evolution, we're not talking about IU, but I could mention a LOT of groups, and you wouldn't like that list!

Also, THIS! "Shh.." is one of the best song on the album, IF not the best!

• - BP is a group led by yg and IU is a soloist who has more freedom in her works and when you stay solo for almost 15-16 years in your career, there is some change that people expect.

Yeah, but you know what? Bigbang and 2NE1 was also a YG group, yet their discography wasn't the same every year! I'm pretty sure, BP is the only YG group that Yang didn't allow to create their own music. I'm far from defending YG or any company, but creating music isn't just about the agency, it's about the so called artists as well.

I mean, do you expect me to believe they wanted more freedom when we can already see that Lisa releasing the same YG type songs? With the same 5 line long lyrics, and all of her songs is about the same thing? Now, she's free, no? So, where's the creativity?

• Lol, you and this girl are the only ones who mixed your fact and my opinion.

And I stand by what I said in my first comment, I found IU's music too basic.

I never said that she only did ballads but her ballads don't reach me.

agree or not, that's how I saw it and I don't think it would change

Blaming the agency is a poor excuse. An agency is as much responsible for the success of a group as it is for its failings. Fans are foolish to give credit only to the group, but discredit to the agency.

Secondly, IU having more freedom, is in fact quite a big deal in the industry and she is respected precisely for achieving and retaining that creative freedom, as much as she is for her artistry and philanthropy. That too is to her credit.

Oh you can choose to be close minded and ignorant. That is your call. But when you express it, you will be countered.

To those who appreciate her music, she has delivered constant evolution and variety. It is ok if that does not pierce through your ignorance. She won't miss your appreciation

• Yeah, but you know what? Bigbang and 2NE1 was also a YG group, yet their discography wasn't the same every year! I'm pretty sure, BP is the only YG group that Yang didn't allow to create their own music. I'm far from defending YG or any company, but creating music isn't just about the agency, it's about the so called artists as well.

I mean, do you expect me to believe they wanted more freedom when we can already see that Lisa releasing the same YG type songs? With the same 5 line long lyrics, and all of her songs is about the same thing? Now, she's free, no? So, where's the creativity?

As far as I know, Rockstar and New Woman are generally different songs.

After leaving Yg, she also did a ballad cover (for Christmas).Something she hasn't done in 7 years under yg.

She clarifies that she doesn't just want to rap like YG wanted.

Just like Hwasa who tries different things at each CB (even if some don't like it).

IU is talented, she's famous, knows how to compose but to me she's definitely playing it safe.

• Blaming the agency is a poor excuse. An agency is as much responsible for the success of a group as it is for its failings. Fans are foolish to give credit only to the group, but discredit to the agency.

To those who appreciate her music, she has delivered constant evolution and variety. It is ok if that does not pierce through your ignorance. She won't miss your appreciation

It wasn’t an excuse, it definitely is what it is. It's common knowledge that BP barely has any control over their formula.

Also, since when I discredited Yg or Teddy for BP's musical success, tell me when?

« To THOSE who appreciate her music, she has delivered constant evolution and variety » you said it yourself lol, so why are we still arguing ?

Please keep your fangirl opinion with you, don't waste my time like that

• Well they are adults who renewed their contracts, if they weren't smart enough to negotiate freedom, that is hardly for others to care about. In any case, YG's formula made them global superstars.. even without much of a discography. So they will be famous for being famous and rich, it is ok if they don't have much 'art'.

Unlike you, I am fine with different acts having different flavours and don't shade them.

We are arguing because of you stubborn hold on ignorance. There would be no argument, if your point was simply "IU is not to my taste", but when you BS that "IU has no evolution", it is your evolution that is in doubt.

Why don't you keep your opinion to yourself, before asking others.

If you express your flawed opinion in a public forum, don't cry if others rebut.

You are free not to respond.

• IU is talented, she's famous, knows how to compose but to me she's definitely playing it safe.

Apparently you think an IU song should fail, to prove to you that she is taking risks.

IU does have ups and downs, The Winning did not do as well as Lilac, but even IU's failures are far better than other acts success. That is why she will never meet your weird demands of risk-taking.

• If you take it as shade, that's your problem not mine.

Apparently you think an IU song should fail, to prove to you that she is taking risks.

IU does have ups and downs, The Winning did not do as well as Lilac, but even IU's failures are far better than other acts success. That is why she will never meet your weird demands of risk-taking.

Taking risks is part of the challenge and doesn't necessarily lead to failure.

• If you take it as shade, that's your problem not mine.

Taking risks is part of the challenge and doesn't necessarily lead to failure.

You think she doesn't change enough, is your problem not others.

In fact it is not even about "enough", you simply don't know anything.

It is laughable to Stan Blackpink, the most success stereotypical act with least content and think others haven't done enough.

It is a shade to you, not Blackpink.

• You can laugh, they did pretty well with the minimal music that YG gave them.

I can't say the same for the one who achieves freedom in her works but chooses to stuck in her past. lol

• You can laugh, they did pretty well with the minimal music that YG gave them.

I can't say the same for the one who achieves freedom in her works but chooses to stuck in her past. lol

No I am only laughing at you and your petty demands, narrow mind.

BP or IU have achieved far more with whatever circumstances they were in.

Anyway, IU has nothing to prove to you.

She is a living legend in her country, the only act from Kpop who is ranked among the legends of Korean Music.

That's legacy enough.

• Don't worry, she has nothing to prove. I'm no longer interested in what she does

I came to share my thoughts and that's it.

• Don't worry, she has nothing to prove. I'm no longer interested in what she does

I came to share my thoughts and that's it.

All you have achieved is that I am no longer interested in the thoughts you have to share.

Which is shallower than BP's discography.

YG might have prevented BP, Which agency prevents you from having some study before expressing such shallow thoughts?

• Lol, you and this girl are the only ones who mixed your fact and my opinion.

And I stand by what I said in my first comment, I found IU's music too basic.

You find out basic, yet you love Blackpink? Makes sense. Anyway, saying her music is too basic is just taste, but saying her music didn't evolve is just being ignorant. If you didn't heard all of her songs, stop talking, please!

As far as I know, Rockstar and New Woman are generally different songs.

After leaving Yg, she also did a ballad cover (for Christmas).Something she hasn't done in 7 years under yg.

She clarifies that she doesn't just want to rap like YG wanted.

Just like Hwasa who tries different things at each CB (even if some don't like it).

IU is talented, she's famous, knows how to compose but to me she's definitely playing it safe.

Rockstar and New Woman is basically the same song with the same lyrics. I mean, I'm not saying both song sound the same, I'm saying both song is nothing special, just another Tiktok song. Rockstar is even worse, because the overused autotune is madness.

Comparing her to Hwasa is nonsense, btw. Hwasa alone wrote and composed more songs than Blackpink's entire discography. Lisa far behind her, and every other soloist tbh. So far, I can't see Lisa doing other genres. She can't sing, she's not a good rapper or ever a real rapper, because she doesn't write her own parts, and as you said she didn't want to rap, so she needs to do a LOT of vocal training, because releasing trendy songs won't help her career on a long-run.

As for IU, I already told you what to do. You can dislike her songs, but don't say things that are not true, at all. She never played safe. She's not releasing trendy songs or the same thing.

• All you have achieved is that I am no longer interested in the thoughts you have to share.

Which is shallower than BP's discography.

YG might have prevented BP, Which agency prevents you from having some study before expressing such shallow thoughts?

Let me think, the agency is called "me, myself and i"

Now excuse me but I have better things to do than study your idols in depth. What I have seen in the last 10 years is enough.lol

• Let me think, the agency is called "me, myself and i"

Now excuse me but I have better things to do than study your idols in depth. What I have seen in the last 10 years is enough.lol

Then you are doing a worse job than even YG.

In the same sentence you claim 'having better things to do' and 'having seen for 10 years'.

With that sort of reasoning ability, indeed you should excuse yourself from trivial pursuits like kpop and go back to school,

• Then you are doing a worse job than even YG.

In the same sentence you claim 'having better things to do' and 'having seen for 10 years'.

With that sort of reasoning ability, indeed you should excuse yourself from trivial pursuits like kpop and go back to school,

Go back yourself,

yes, I said it in one sentence.

I have better things to do = no point in studying IU's music in depth

Having seen for 10 years =

I'm not an ignorant ex-fan. Over the last 10 years I've watched IU, discovered her music, her stage, her acting, her B-sides and what I saw confirmed what I thought.

Now I'm not going to answer you anymore

I'm tired of saying the same things over and over again.

• You are ignorant. With a lot of preconceived notions- if you thought first and then confirmed, rather than being open and forming a opinion.

And yet again self-contradictory - if you have indeed seen for the past 10 years and not noticed changes in musical direction.

But I suppose with your standards, risk taking is to do cabaret shows and what not.

• You are ignorant. With a lot of preconceived notions- if you thought first and then confirmed, rather than being open and forming a opinion.

And yet again self-contradictory - if you have indeed seen for the past 10 years and not noticed changes in musical direction.

But I suppose with your standards, risk taking is to do cabaret shows and what not.

I’m not, you are simply stubborn and refuse to let others have a different point of view than you.

• I’m not, you are simply stubborn and refuse to let others have a different point of view than you.

I thought you said you were done? Inability to hold one's peace is also a sign of immaturity.

There can be points of view with 'taste', not with 'facts'

You can't have a point of view that 2+2=5 and expect others not to be stubborn in refusing you.

In this case, the fact is IU has a varied discography where she has reinvented herself multiple times over the years, which prove your claim wrong.

Few examples should suffice- Modern Times brought Jazz/Brass band sounds into Kpop mainstream. Her Flower Bookmark remakes, reintroduced K-folk from yesteryears to the Kpop generation.

She collaborates with indie musicians, bands like Sweet Sorrow, Hyukoh etc., far more than any kpop idol act. Or musicians like Jung Jae il

Despite your claim of observing her for 10 years, your opinion is factually wrong.

This is a wild opinion to have when literally no female idol in the past 20 years would have the guts to release a self-written song like "Twenty-three", especially as a title track. Also wild when the entire criticism of the original post are knetizens are complaining that her new album sounds too different "Shopper"/"Holsii" from the ballads that they want her to sing. But sure, "never took risks".

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!