Why do 5th Gen boy groups chart better this generation?

• Was randomly scrolling through twitter and saw this update and ngl I was kinda surprised

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Congrats to NCT Wish they have some good bops but this led me to think, 5th gen boy groups in general seem to be charting much better than the 4th gen boy groups did before them, especially in their rookie years!

You have groups like RIIZE, TWS, Boy Next Door, ZB1, PLAAVE and now NCT Wish all charting within their first year of debut. NCT WISH is mostly a Japanese group too with 4/6 members being Japanese yet are charting better than some of the more established 4th gen boy groups.

It’s great to see a boy group revival in Korea but my question is, what shifted?

• didn't the song just release? bgs fly up the charts on debut and freefall no?

though separately bgs stay on the charts longer because melon is losing general users i think. it's basically a fandom war now except the top ~20?

• Charts are so dead with fandom alone they can chart.

That was my first initial thought but then you have established 4th gen groups like Treasure, Ateez, The Boyz and Enhypen that cannot chart nearly as well as these newer 5th gen boy groups despite building up their fanbase over the last few years.

TXT and Stray Kids can chart but compared to groups like RIIZE and TWS there’s a noticeable difference with the latter groups having actual chart topping hits.

I feel like there has to be more to it than just the charts being dead otherwise we’d be seeing 4th boy groups on top of domestic charts but we don’t

• Dude, 4th gen was the only time girl groups constantly surpassed BGs on charts as far as K-Pop. It sadly is one of those constant things that seems to always come back, even if they were all somehow bland boy groups, they will likely become more popular and successful than female artists. The culture still leans toward excusing men's bleh behaviors, while crucifying women for reading a book or wearing "ugly" clothes, while also yelling at them if they chose to not wear baggy clothes.

Also, when it comes to charts, they are not based off of who is actually listening to a group and invested in them as artists either usually. It is based off who spam streams the most and buys too many copies of albums that they do not need, just so they can meet their faves. Who traditionally does that, boy group fans. Female girl group fans also buy a lot of albums but they tend to not buy mass amounts, and the ones who do, then sell them sealed to other fellow fans for half or more off the price. Sadly, in recent years there have been numerous cases of NCT fans specifically, buying mass amounts of albums and instead of reselling the ones they do not use, they toss them in the dumpster ;(.

Edit: Before someone comes for me, I have an NCT shelf at home, but I just only buy items I actually want and will enjoy. Not excessive amounts of them, only to throw them away. NCTzens especially are honestly needing to get better at buying the small cardboard box with photocards like Pocas instead of contributing constantly to more and more pollution and waste. If you do not actually collect the music itself that is honestly better for you, and for the rest of us who hate seeing albums tossed to the trash constantly and not even trying to give them to a fellow fan who might want them. There has literally been girls at Twice concerts and NCT shows who save and then give away extra copies to fellow fans who may not have a specific album that they have extras of. So if you are insistent in buying too many full sized copies, maybe try gifting them to someone else who also likes the groups.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Bm3QzhQ.gif

• Dude, 4th gen was the only time girl groups constantly surpassed BGs on charts as far as K-Pop. It sadly is one of those constant things that seems to always come back, even if they were all somehow bland boy groups, they will likely become more popular and successful than female artists. The culture still leans toward excusing men's bleh behaviors, while crucifying women for reading a book or wearing "ugly" clothes, while also yelling at them if they chose to not wear baggy clothes.

Also, when it comes to charts, they are not based off of who is actually listening to a group and invested in them as artists either usually. It is based off who spam streams the most and buys too many copies of albums that they do not need, just so they can meet their faves. Who traditionally does that, boy group fans. Female girl group fans also buy a lot of albums but they tend to not buy mass amounts, and the ones who do, then sell them sealed to other fellow fans for half or more off the price. Sadly, in recent years there have been numerous cases of NCT fans specifically, buying mass amounts of albums and instead of reselling the ones they do not use, they toss them in the dumpster ;(.

Edit: Before someone comes for me, I have an NCT shelf at home, but I just only buy items I actually want and will enjoy. Not excessive amounts of them, only to throw them away. NCTzens especially are honestly needing to get better at buying the small cardboard box with photocards like Pocas instead of contributing constantly to more and more pollution and waste. If you do not actually collect the music itself that is honestly better for you, and for the rest of us who hate seeing albums tossed to the trash constantly and not even trying to give them to a fellow fan who might want them. There has literally been girls at Twice concerts and NCT shows who save and then give away extra copies to fellow fans who may not have a specific album that they have extras of. So if you are insistent in buying too many full sized copies, maybe try gifting them to someone else who also likes the groups.

I wish Nct wish was supported that much :drinktears:

Many NCTzens not even claim but don’t even know they exist! And I’m so proud of them because they are charting on melon top 100 after many singles they have released

• I wish Nct wish was supported that much :drinktears:

Many NCTzens not even claim but don’t even know they exist! And I’m so proud of them because they are charting on melon top 100 after many singles they have released

Sadly I think Wish has become an after thought, as they kept extending and planning NCT units so far apart in debut

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Bm3QzhQ.gif

• its bc the 3rd gen bg are in the military, and plus there younger, drawing in fans

ɪᴠᴇ ᴛxᴛ ᴛᴡɪᴄᴇ ᴇɴʜʏᴘᴇɴ ᴛʀɪᴘʟᴇꜱ

2a806ffe9815a47ac4e5534b70069637ce97908b.gifv

• Sadly I think Wish has become an after thought, as they kept extending and planning NCT units so far apart in debut

On the contrary - the lack of attention from older nctzens is working in their favor. Nct fanbase is toxic and full of akgaes who spread false rumors to damage members that aren’t their fave. It’s repellent to new fans.

These boys are building their own fanbase from the ground up and I’m amazed at how well they are doing.

• Nct fanbase is toxic and full of akgaes who spread false rumors to damage members that aren’t their fave. It’s repellent to new fans.

I somehow have avoided the fanbase drama, outside of the whole Taeil fiasco which people are justifiably mad about.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Bm3QzhQ.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!