It cannot be denied that interest in KPop has seriously declined - the decline of first week sales, 2023 and 2024

• Whatever the conclusion of the Hybe-MHJ saga might be, it seems that KPop has suffered a blow from which it will be hard to recover.

The rebellion of Wu Yifan and Luhan, combined with the departure of Jessica Jung from SNSD, created a huge crisis in SM. JYP and YG were also at their bottom at that time, and never losing an opportunity, Lee Jieun attempted a takeover of KPop which almost succeeded.

MNet and SM fought tooth and nail to defeat Lee Jieun, but Exo never really recovered from this.

2015 was a very boring year. The #1 act was Big Bang, in its last hurrah, and in this midst of despair, GFriend, an unknown act, gained a lot of popularity, something which is unthinkable now.

2016 saw the rise of Twice and BTS and 2017 saw the blossoming of the 3rd Gen of KPop, but the entire KPop world had to endure the rule of Lee Jieun for one year as she was voted as the most popular singer of 2017 and her ballad Through the Night won the only nonKPop Song of the Year title in the KPop era.

The 2024 crisis is like the 2014 crisis, almost to the bone.

First Week Sales Records 2023

SVT 17th Heaven 5.09M

SKZ 5-star 4.62M

SVT FML 4.55M

SKZ Rock-Star 3.70M

NCT Dream ISTJ 3.65M

JK Golden 2.46M

TXT Freefall 2.25M

TXT Temptation 2.18M

ZB1 Melting Point 2.13M

Taehyung Layover 2.10M

Enhypen Orange Blood 1.87M

Ateez The WOrld Ep. Fin Will 1.71M

aespa My World 1.60M

New Jeans Get up 1.65M

NCT 127 Fact Check 1.65M

IVE Ive Mine 1.61M

EXO Exist 1.56M

Ateez The World Ep: Outlaw 1.52M

I stop here.

17 albums with first week sales of 1.5M or more.

Such were the halcyon days of 2023.

5 months of 2024 have passed.

SVT 17 is right here - 2.97M, a 42% decline from 2023 (if an act released more than 1 albums with more than 1.5M sales I work with the one with the highest sales.)

NCT Dream Dream()Scape 2.46M 33% decline

TXT minisode 3: Tomorrow 1.55M 31% decline

Gidle 2 1.54M, the only major act in 2024 whose sales have increased.

ZB1 You had me at Hello 1.35M 37% decline

IVE IVE Switch 1.32M 18% decline

(aespa's ARMAGEDDON is still counting, but it will probably not exceed 1.2 M, a decline of at least 25%)

Twice With You-th 1.06M. It did increase, and the same to several other acts, since they were not subject to the halcyon days of 2023

NMixx a Midnight NMixx's dream 1.03M

LeSserafim Easy 989K

NewJeans How Sweet 885K, a decline of 45%

I think the numbers speak for themselves.

The flagpole act now, Seventeen, suffered a decline of 40%.

NCT Dream, txt and ZB1 all suffered hits greater than 30%.

Stray Kids is afraid to release a new album since it will probably show a similar decline.

Gidle, Twice, NMixx and LeSserafim did better, but their sway on the world is much weaker. Twice is a mature group, whose upside is now going to be limited, and Gidle is in its 6th year, with Shuhua probably not continuing and Jeon Soyeon will do whatever she feels like with it.

No need to retell the story of the MHJ saga, but NJ, expected to be the flagpole of 4th Gen, has been hit big and it is said only 30,000 copies sold in Japan, which will be another topic.

IVE and aespa did maintain themselves more or less effectively, but it cannot be denied that the HUGE decline on interest over KPop has taken place and it is unlikely to be reversed by the return of BTS.

Illit has its limitations ; having 2 Japanese means it is geared toward Japan. Baemon was defeated even by Ilit.

(Before someone says Twice had 3 Japanese members, I have to remind again that it began as 5 Koreans, 2 Japanese, 1 Taiwanese and 1 American.)

That is the biggest story; all the MHJ stories are just soap operas compared to this big issue.

• There definitely has been a huge decline across the board this year, the drops that surprised me the most were actually NCT Dream and TXT, I don't think they had any big controversy (well now NCT appears to be having one, but that was post-comeback) to have caused these precipitous declines.

I think Seventeen will do a lot better when they release an album of original songs (their latest was a best-of), but it's hard to see them (or anyone) hitting 5m+ this year or maybe ever again.

NewJeans is a huge question mark too, I did think they were the future flagship group of kpop (if they weren't that already), but seeing BSH has it out for them is definitely worrying. Korean businessmen's vanity knows no bounds as I witnessed with EXO's management 2018-2019. Profit does not always take precedence over ego.

aespa seems to be finally blowing up across casual kpop fans with their spotify numbers doing so well and they're having a bit hit with the gp at the same time, but it coincided with their cfans turning on them. I'm very curious about their path forward too, because it does seem SM has decided to roll with them as their flagship group for now (with them being their first female flagship group since SNSD).

• You understand how wicked and cunning the senior singer is when you realize the years she carried her worst attacks were so important for kpop:

2017: after 3rd gen took over, kpop reconquers japan with twice and starts their western conquest with bts.

2021: bts stops activities due military enlistment and 4th gen starts taking the spotlight.

I'm glad this year when she tried to harm 5th gen groups first steps her offensive against kpop fails thanks to bibi.

• Without Bibi and Jang Kiha checking Lee Jieun's ambition, the latter would have jumped back to the ring, menacing the newer acts at will and making KPop return back to the old days.

• I think it is just numbers going back to some kind of normal. I suspect they were somewhat inflated before.

It is like classic boom and bust

If BTs were still around we would have seen somebody selling 10 million albums, the first since Adele.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!