What makes someone a token stan?

• Pretty sure I asked this before, but I'm asking again.

I get called a NJ token stan despite:

• Being in the top 0.1% of their listeners last year
    • Paying to fly to Chicago to see their first ever stage in the United States
    • Seeing pretty much every stage and variety content they've done since debut, including content exclusive to their season's greetings

Someone make it make sense to me. How does that make me a token stan? I think the term loses all meaning, if you use it without any level of thought behind it :pepe-shrug:

• If i'm not mistaken, I think you get called that because you seem to only brag and talk about their accomplishments, like you're very loud about it. It's one thing to be like OMG i love this new mv, let's talk about their latest song, etc. Every time you post about New Jeans and I peek into the thread it's all about their success and how they are beating everyone and doing all this and that. I believe that's why you get called a token stan.

And from my personal experience, this usually goes away when the next shiny thing comes along and starts doing something equally as good or better. Not saying that will happen, but if a new GG was to debut that out did NJ the likely scenario is that a token stan would jump ship to them and no longer talk about NJ.

That's what I believe the meaning of token stan is. :pepe-shrug:

• If i'm not mistaken, I think you get called that because you seem to only brag and talk about their accomplishments, like you're very loud about it. It's one thing to be like OMG i love this new mv, let's talk about their latest song, etc. Every time you post about New Jeans and I peek into the thread it's all about their success and how they are beating everyone and doing all this and that. I believe that's why you get called a token stan.

And from my personal experience, this usually goes away when the next shiny thing comes along and starts doing something equally as good or better. Not saying that will happen, but if a new GG was to debut that out did NJ the likely scenario is that a token stan would jump ship to them and no longer talk about NJ.

Am I Wonho's token stan? Like what if he suddenly will become thin, without muscles and he will delete his Instagram... dunno, dunno

"You can troll on your main and we have plenty examples of that" (c) Ves

soojin-seo-soojin.gifsoojin-seo-soojin.gifsoojin-gidle.gif

• Am I Wonho's token stan? Like what if he suddenly will become thin, without muscles and he will delete his Instagram... dunno, dunno

ummm You and HwaGoose would probably beef him back up or something....*shudders*

That's because NewJeans' statistical dominance is an anomaly the likes of which we've literally never seen before. I'm going to make a thread any time they set or break a new record, because why shouldn't I? I've been in this K-Pop game long enough to see plenty of other fandoms doing the same thing with their favorite idols, and they don't get called token stans over it.

With a year like the one NewJeans just had, between their daesangs, PAKS, Billboard/Spotify numbers, Gallup survey results, album sales and etc., of course I end up making a lot more threads because they accomplished something major practically every month :pepe-shrug:

And if a girl group comes around and out does all of those records, I won't be going anywhere. I will graciously applaud them on doing something I personally felt was impossible

• That's because NewJeans' statistical dominance is an anomaly the likes of which we've literally never seen before. I'm going to make a thread any time they set or break a new record, because why shouldn't I? I've been in this K-Pop game long enough to see plenty of other fandoms doing the same thing with their favorite idols, and they don't get called token stans over it.

With a year like the one NewJeans just had, between their daesangs, PAKS, Billboard/Spotify numbers, Gallup survey results, album sales and etc., of course I end up making a lot more threads because they accomplished something major practically every month :pepe-shrug:

And if a girl group comes around and out does all of those records, I won't be going anywhere. I will graciously applaud them on doing something I personally felt was impossible

Idk man im not a gg stan thats just my observation. It seems like their accomplishments are constantly shoved into everything. By now we all get it we dont need to keep being reminded of it. Im just assuming thats the issues going on.

• Idk man im not a gg stan thats just my observation. It seems like their accomplishments are constantly shoved into everything. By now we all get it we dont need to keep being reminded of it. Im just assuming thats the issues going on.

My observation is that it's no problem when these threads are made for other girl groups. Only when it's NewJeans is it suddenly an issue :pepe-notes:

Well too bad for those bitter gg stans. I'll keep making threads whenever NJ accomplish something that warrants praise. Which is often.

If people get that upset over it, they can just not click on the threads. But they aren't going to call me a token stan and get away with it :pepe-tea:

• My observation is that it's no problem when these threads are made for other girl groups. Only when it's NewJeans is it suddenly an issue :pepe-notes:

Well too bad for those bitter gg stans. I'll keep making threads whenever NJ accomplish something that warrants praise. Which is often.

If people get that upset over it, they can just not click on the threads. But they aren't going to call me a token stan and get away with it :pepe-tea:

Hey you do you buddy! The block button exists if they are that bothered they can use it, right?

• You sound like a token stan bc you dont limit yourself to their actual achievements like normal stans that like to celebrate but you literally set them up with "they will be the biggest of all time" type of shit all the time which makes it look like you are more interested about their potential than about what they have to offer at the moment. It's weird asf and you don't see any other kpop stans talking like that about their faves. Makes it look like the moment they underperform and don't achieve the future you set up for them you'll ditch them and change them for the next cool group that will live up to your expectations.

In short when you talk about them you don't seem enamored with the group and their content, but their achievements and possible future achievements.

That is pretty much how I would define a token stan. Specially when they use said groups to talk shit about other groups unprovoked.

It's just weird to see someone only talking about that when they talk about their supposedly favorite group.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• More like I feel one of your narratives has to be fake

You do love to emphasize that you stan talent like MMM and loved them mainly for it and turned around to like NJ and it reads fake I guess lol.

Hybe is particularly known for in general not having great vocalists and you like both NJ and LSFM and it rings fake from my judgmental view point :pepe-joy:

So for me the conclusion is you didn’t really stan MMM for the talent or you’re success stanning hybe groups to feel alive :pepe-use-head::pepe-joy:

Btw nothing you say will change my opinion I’ve already passed judgement

• Yeah that's completely fake news. You can quickly browse through my thread history and see that none of what you said is true. You're often a victim in my achievement threads, so those are just the threads that stick out to you, but I've made plenty of NJ threads that had nothing to do with their charting.

Also, the narrative doesn't even fit, because I'm clearly still fiercely loyal to Mamamoo, despite the fact their peak in terms of digital power is in the rear view, so the notion that I would ditch NewJeans because of underperformance is completely asinine and some weird ass head canon you people use to cope with.

And I laughed at unprovoked. Don't you even try it. It is nearly ALWAYS provoked, and I don't want to hear otherwise from the user who passionately defended the ETA terrorism lunacy and then once tried to invite people to hate NewJeans because you didn't think they got treated as badly as Babymonster.

I'll be blunt and I don't care if I hurt some feelings on the way. Anyone who thinks I'm not enamored with a group I paid real money to see in person is an idiot.

Really? I don't think I brag about Mamamoo's talent that much at all here. I could do it a hell of a lot more, but what's the point? Everyone knows they're a talent wall.

I also never ever said talent is the only reason I love Mamamoo. Ever. It goes much deeper than that.

Well I won't try to change anyone's minds. Guess we'll have to see if I ditch NJ the first time they don't have a record breaking comeback

• Off topic, someone make a thread about le sserafim hot 100 debut entry possibility

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Literally all the points I wanted to say have been pointed out by most users here YamaToken. You move like a total token tokki. But hey, there's no bad thing about it, at least the group your token stanning have good music but a bad decision overall since they won't replace bp as #1 gg in the world :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
    ✴✴✴✴✴ KIM JISOO'S HUSBANDO ✴✴✴✴✴
    b7de288879b59732b5115a93d7f259edd464dd39.jpg2320df8ccb8a4af42b9e108fb34e3d8109964aae.jpg2a8fc619d348ef8f6380880604eb8bb8e97b8105.jpg

• Literally all the points I wanted to say have been pointed out by most users here YamaToken. You move like a total token tokki. But hey, there's no bad thing about it, at least the group your token stanning have good music but a bad decision overall since they won't replace bp as #1 gg in the world :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

NewJeans is the revolution.

Make sure you're on the right side of history, maknae :cursing::cursing::cursing:

• Minion inaugurated that lifestyle actually

It just turns out that Twice is flopping now

Pull up in a ghost Peek a peek a boo hoo Vroom vroom

XWQN6MB.png

• I think I have already said this to you. Having your fave's achievements in your head all the time and making up 90% of your post history is what makes you a success stan. If someone disagrees with you on the idea of NewJeans being the next big thing, you make it your goal to shove their achievements as your proof to that person. You are no different than some of those ARMYs here who are success stans but also very passionate about them in general. Just don't let their success get to your head and others will start considering you as a normal stan.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• I think I have already said this to you. Having your fave's achievements in your head all the time and making up 90% of your post history is what makes you a success stan. If someone disagrees with you on the idea of NewJeans being the next big thing, you make it your goal to shove their achievements as your proof to that person. You are no different than some of those ARMYs here who are success stans but also very passionate about them in general. Just don't let their success get to your head and others will start considering you as a normal stan.

That's not remotely true. Maybe I'd consider entertaining these narratives if they weren't immediately and directly contradicted by the post history you claim to be 90% about NJ achievements, but that is far from reality, and I wonder why this has become such a popular false narrative about me. Go to my post history right now and you'll see that I simply don't make half as many achievement threads as people accuse me of. And when I do? It's perfectly warranted.

• That's not remotely true. Maybe I'd consider entertaining these narratives if they weren't immediately and directly contradicted by the post history you claim to be 90% about NJ achievements, but that is far from reality, and I wonder why this has become such a popular false narrative about me. Go to my post history right now and you'll see that I simply don't make half as many achievement threads as people accuse me of. And when I do? It's perfectly warranted.

Even if we ignore the achievement threads, the success or the idea of them becoming the next big thing is what you talk about majority of the time. I mean I don't blame you. Majority of hit threads are related to a GG having a successful comeback or flopping but I see you being the major contributer to all those threads compared to any other user.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• :wow: You might be thinking of telepathy. That’s different.

im playing

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Even if we ignore the achievement threads, the success or the idea of them becoming the next big thing is what you talk about majority of the time. I mean I don't blame you. Majority of hit threads are related to a GG having a successful comeback or flopping but I see you being the major contributer to all those threads compared to any other user.

But it quite literally isn't. Again, you can just go in my thread history and see that that isn't the reality of the situation in the slightest. Those threads are just the ones that blow up and get the most contentious, because girl group stans are a bitter, jealous and insecure breed, and they struggle to cope with the fact a girl group came out of nowhere and started snatching records we all thought wouldn't be touched for years.

Yeah, I love making those people uncomfortable and exposing their hypocrisy, but it's not the majority of my activity here, despite popular belief.

And honestly, why wouldn't I talk about NJ's successes? They're absolutely insane. Clearly nobody else here would, if I didn't, so it's something I will continue to do, regardless of how many people get emotional over it

But I ain't a token stan

• I don't want to hear otherwise from the user who passionately defended the ETA terrorism lunacy

ok this is completely fake news. I only talked about this ONCE and it was after the controversy ended ages later. and what I said was that tokkis were weird for acting like ppl who noticed the coincidences were crazy - definition of gaslighting.

Next time any of yall accuse me of this, yall better link EVERY SINGLE THREAD about the ETA controversy that I was part of, with screenshots and links of exactly what I said, otherwise it didn't happen.

I remember damn clearly that when the accusations started, both before, until and after the ETA comeback I literally NEVER clicked in any of these threads.

I know many of you have some personal grudge against me and love to talk shit about me, but to the point of lying and make things up? That's what truly separates me from yall - I only say anything based on FACTS. That's why I'm better than all of u gossipers

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Sure Jan. You wouldn't have such over the top reactions everytime this is brought up, if the shoe didn't fit.

I mean if you knew you're a real stan you wouldn't be bothered by these things

This is some of the worst logic imaginable. If someone accused me of being a serial killer, if I have an extreme reaction to that false accusation, that isn't evidence of me being a serial killer.

And why don't we unpack "real stan", because I'd LOVE to know what makes you a "real stan" of your favorite groups compared to me, because my flex of being in the top 0.1% of listeners for NJ is already enough to grade me well ahead of anyone.

You're not wrong :/

• This is some of the worst logic imaginable. If someone accused me of being a serial killer, if I have an extreme reaction to that false accusation, that isn't evidence of me being a serial killer.

And why don't we unpack "real stan", because I'd LOVE to know what makes you a "real stan" of your favorite groups compared to me, because my flex of being in the top 0.1% of listeners for NJ is already enough to grade me well ahead of anyone.

Uhhh thats a gross overreaction to what I said, musta hit a nerve. Being called a fake stan and a serial killer are completely different scenarios.

A real stan is someone who enjoys a groups members and their music. Its not anything crazy. The girls themselves said their fans want to be friends with NJ (are fans of the girls), do not fight other tokkis (good fandom etiquette), and love music.

Oh my baby sweet like bubble gum!

16a5ad82f46a76cf3cdeb18fe28d7be0a6d0a66f.gifv

• Token stan =/= success stan, I think the latter is what people are accusing you of being.

A token stan would be an Army stanning Twice because they hate Blackpink, since Twice were BP's biggest competitor (for example).

Even the success stan label doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't I have been a Once or Blink during 3rd gen if that's all I cared about? :pepe-joy:

Mamamoo were still in their nugu era when I became a fan back in 2014, and I've been a loyal fan ever since. I just went to FOUR different stops on their U.S. tour last year.

I hate to break this news to people, but I won't be ditching NJ any time soon. That would just be wishful thinking.

• Uhhh thats a gross overreaction to what I said, musta hit a nerve. Being called a fake stan and a serial killer are completely different scenarios.

A real stan is someone who enjoys a groups members and their music. Its not anything crazy. The girls themselves said their fans want to be friends with NJ (are fans of the girls), do not fight other tokkis (good fandom etiquette), and love music.

No, it's not an overreaction. It's the perfect representation of how idiotic that logic is.

"Oh? You had a reaction?! Must be because it's true"

That's incredibly smooth brained. Doesn't matter if we're talking fake stans or serial killers, because the logic used in both scenarios is the exact same

I just chose a serial killer example to quickly illustrate how stupid it is.

That aside, you aren't qualified to tell me whether I'm a real stan or not, since that would require 24/7 access to my headspace. But you don't have the credentials to gatekeep. Nobody does.

Even your criteria is completely irrelevant here, since I never fight with other Tokkis and clearly love NJ's music, so what are you trying to prove by even mentioning those things?

• That aside, you aren't qualified to tell me whether I'm a real stan or not, since that would require 24/7 access to my headspace. But you don't have the credentials to gatekeep. Nobody does.

Even your criteria is completely irrelevant here, since I never fight with other Tokkis and clearly love NJ's music, so what are you trying to prove by even mentioning those things?

I dont care whether you're a real fan or not, so its okay. Breathe. You want our approval and recognition so badly.

The comparison you made was completely idiotic as being called a serial killer destroys your life and being called a fake stan does nothing. Its okay to be a troll too, you dont have to struggle so much

Oh my baby sweet like bubble gum!

16a5ad82f46a76cf3cdeb18fe28d7be0a6d0a66f.gifv

• This thread contains 45 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!