How would you describe the concept and sound of today's top girl groups?

• nj

- at first seemed like a y2k concept group but at this moment in time I think their concept is just teenager shit. not rly eloquent but they sing abt how it feels to be a teen w the love stuff as well as the warning ur friend tht she's dating an asshole stuff lol. their sound seemed to be based in drum and bass since ditto, but I think one of them said their next album has a lot of r&b so idk abt their sound but they do have a quintessential nj sound even tho the genres from hype boy to super shy are different. great group, fun music, makes me wonder what they'll do when they start to visually look older.

lsfm

- arguably the edgiest group out rn. their concept is all abt being a strong woman basically lmao. they also have tht underlying sexy concept which their fans try so hard to deny but its pretty obvious when u look at their choreo and their debut pics. music wise idk. they kinda just rip off whatever's trending in the west. they also have horrible styling.

gidle

- genuinely don't know wtf they do lol. theyve changed concepts and sounds so many times even before soojin left. they're kinda like t ara in tht way but less cunt w worse music.

aespa

- the ai techno girlies. girls w the strongest branding, arguably, newjeans is a strong competitor. like nj, they have a sound which is quintessentially aespa. even with spicy, which had a huge visual aesthetic change to their normal stuff, still had tht aespa sound esp w tht baseline. love their music, their savage album is the album tht screams aespa the most but with changes in sm it seems like aespa are changing their sound just a little bit and their branding a lot. their bsides have gotten worse since savage although my world was a great album but the only aespa like side was salty and sweet. even lucid dream which is more low-key had that aespa sound to it. idk if they're changing their aesthetic to fit it in w the current easy listening, low-key costuming thing that's going on rn, but they shouldn't. drama did well and they'd lose lots of fans and they easily have the biggest fanbase rn.

ive

- high teen, haughty aesthetic. before baddie anyway. font rly have strong branding like aespa and nj tho. wonyoung herself does, but not the group. they make good music tho, they have rly strong bsides. holy moly would've done well as a title, in terms of fitting their aforementioned aesthetic. can't rly say much abt them bc like idle even tho their visual aesthetic doesn't change much, their musical aesthetic does. don't rly have a sound. holy moly doesn't fit ive bc of its sound but bc of the lyrics and ives past tt lyrics.

kk i tried my best. not rly the most eloquent tho.

• Thank you for sharing. It was insightful even if you feel it lacked eloquence.

I'm curious what in particular you find so awful about LSF's styling

• NewJeans: slice of life concept. In all their "main" MVs we see them doing pretty "usual" stuff, at least for a kpop group. Also, it's very maximalistic. Musically, I don't know much about all the different kinds of music and how they're called, but probably it's mainly Dnb and Rnb

Le Sserafim: Fallen angel concept. Embracing being bad/flawless. Their lore in their Webtoon is 6 girls escaping a highly controlled futuristic city to find out what's behind the city walls. Basically, they're breaking the rules there.Overall, they do have a fallen angel concept. Like Sakura said: You call me fallen angel, no more seraphim.
    It's about embracing your weaknesses, but still trying your best. Self-acceptance. Especially in Good parts, Fearnot, Swan Song etc.

(G)-IDLE:
    Basically, it's: I'm a sexy woman, I'm proud of it and that makes me cool.
    It's sexualised confidence/feminism

aespa:
    cyberpunk.
    Musical-wise, it's Karinas voice. She's like Nayeon. She makes every aespa song an aespa song

IVE:
    Rich elegant girl. Glamour without even trying. Even Kitsch, Baddie, Either Way and Off The Record gave off a very glamorous vibe, that's why I said without even trying. IVE doesn't even need a luxurious MV set, they have this expensive vibe to them.
    Musically, they're the most "K-Pop" group on this list.

⋆.ೃ࿔˚⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆ ˚。⋆. we rise up above ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆ ˚。⋆ ・⋆

・⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆

Edited once, last by Catgirl ().

• Thank you for sharing. It was insightful even if you feel it lacked eloquence.

I'm curious what in particular you find so awful about LSF's styling

well fearless and anti fragile weren't so bad. even tho I thought they were gonna take fearless in the runway model direction and not the sporty direction. antifragile was antifragile, but ever since the success of antifragile its like they've been wearing knock off antifragile-esque denim outfits as the main outfit. everyone knows you have many outfits during the promotion cycle. the clothes they end up wearing later into the promotion cycle are always better than the main outfit which makes no sense. it's supposed to be the other way around but when they stray from the initial concept the outfits get better. perfect night outfits were great. their swan song outfits aren't which makes no sense bc they proved they could do softer, more slowly outfits with the purple and white perfect night outfits.

• you're spot on tbh. Musically I'd say nj have a lofi hip hop type of sound in every single one of their songs

For example

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For Ive I think they have a certain versatility in their songs and concepts that stand out of the rest, because they do it in a big way.

And for g idle, I think they have a certain originality about them, they're usually doing things that other ggs havent tried yet or doing it with a twist

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Their instrumentals remind me of lofi a lot, you're totally right!

IVE is very versatile with their songs, but all of them still sound like something they'd actually release.

(G)-IDLE does have a kind of originality to them, of course. but I think their fans are taking it too far with making them sound like they're super-mega-ultra-feministic. They even tried to gaslight people into believing Wife is about being an actual wife and the stereotypes about it. They're not as poetic and deep as people make them to be. Only Nxde was like that

⋆.ೃ࿔˚⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆ ˚。⋆. we rise up above ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆⋆.ೃ࿔*:・⋆ ˚。⋆ ・⋆

・⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆

• well fearless and anti fragile weren't so bad. even tho I thought they were gonna take fearless in the runway model direction and not the sporty direction. antifragile was antifragile, but ever since the success of antifragile its like they've been wearing knock off antifragile-esque denim outfits as the main outfit. everyone knows you have many outfits during the promotion cycle. the clothes they end up wearing later into the promotion cycle are always better than the main outfit which makes no sense. it's supposed to be the other way around but when they stray from the initial concept the outfits get better. perfect night outfits were great. their swan song outfits aren't which makes no sense bc they proved they could do softer, more slowly outfits with the purple and white perfect night outfits.

Interesting perspective. I've never given that much thought to the outfits from each stage, and they all blend together in my head when I try to think of them. I may go back and compare them when I have some more free time, just for curiosity's sake.

LE SSERAFIM: Boring, Mature, Out there, Unique, sometimes.

:eyes:

• Their instrumentals remind me of lofi a lot, you're totally right!

IVE is very versatile with their songs, but all of them still sound like something they'd actually release.

(G)-IDLE does have a kind of originality to them, of course. but I think their fans are taking it too far with making them sound like they're super-mega-ultra-feministic. They even tried to gaslight people into believing Wife is about being an actual wife and the stereotypes about it. They're not as poetic and deep as people make them to be. Only Nxde was like that

I always saw Wife as a song version of the meme "yes I do the cooking, yes I do the cleaning" so 100% unserious, like flirting with a guy but at the same time making fun of sexist expectations. I wouldnt call it exactly feminist, but it's not about being a submissive wife either yknow

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• newjeans: fresh, young, pretty. njs really just look like kpop to me. they are the trend. their music is like happy summer

lesserafim: wannabe gangsters, wannabe cool girls, bad wannabe american rap music. I really feel like lesserafim had so much potential when they debuted but it seems they are really bent on acting cool and stuff, especially with this comeback the outfits for easy are embarrassing to look at. I don't think sakura or kazuha or eunchae really fit the concept, mostly just yunjin. their music is fine but it's just missing something. their classy bsides are almost always better.

gidle: pure pop! gidle always has me excited for their songs because they always give something different! soyeon clearly understands the need to make a song catchy, have a good concept, and message! sometimes their songs miss, but their styles are always refreshing to me.

aespa: techno, cyber, weird. aespa is pretty cool and i really like their music style. i feel like lately they've been drifting from what they should be making with drama and spicy, but they're not bad. i think they have a lot of potential to do something different from other groups with their concept. next level was truly revolutionary

ive: rich, elegant, stylish. Ive represents the beautiful rich side of kpop. they are my ideal for what i want kpop to be

• well fearless and anti fragile weren't so bad. even tho I thought they were gonna take fearless in the runway model direction and not the sporty direction. antifragile was antifragile, but ever since the success of antifragile its like they've been wearing knock off antifragile-esque denim outfits as the main outfit. everyone knows you have many outfits during the promotion cycle. the clothes they end up wearing later into the promotion cycle are always better than the main outfit which makes no sense. it's supposed to be the other way around but when they stray from the initial concept the outfits get better. perfect night outfits were great. their swan song outfits aren't which makes no sense bc they proved they could do softer, more slowly outfits with the purple and white perfect night outfits.

yep i feel exactly the same.

they really need to leave those stupid jean clothes behind and try something new. like it's getting dull and i don't think it suits them that much

• NewJeans - easy to listen, fresh, young

LE SSERAFIM - fallen angels, runway models, edgy, hook songs, empowerment concepts, and sexy

GIDLE - upbeat, catchy songs, meme songs, chameleon of kpop

Aespa - hyperpop, cyberpunk, edgy, techno, cyber + AI concepts. Songs are highly distinctive because of vocal colors

IVE - elegant, glamarous, princess, stylish. They dont stick to one sound only but overall, everything still sounds very "IVE"

• you’re a boss at this. Keep posting more music analysis, it’s genuinely good writing even if I were to disagree with some of it

Errr.. unforgiven literally had the most iconic outfits (by this i mean those they wore for MVs). They were cowgirls, little angels (with the heart outfit) and those outfits with hoodie are some of their most recognisable looks to date.

• NewJeans : Catchy Kidzbops with that blackpink quality

LE SSERAFIM: More western production (nothing tops anti fragile yet- maybe PN)

(G)I-DLE : Sell outs without any solid identity anymore just doing something generic and hope public catches it this newest comeback failed

aespa : Winter focused in terms of vocal, very Technological in terms of production, kinda future based

IVE: Rich bitches concept/ Mean girls

• I always saw Wife as a song version of the meme "yes I do the cooking, yes I do the cleaning" so 100% unserious, like flirting with a guy but at the same time making fun of sexist expectations. I wouldnt call it exactly feminist, but it's not about being a submissive wife either yknow

I think it's not about being a wife at all, it's just a song full of sexual innuendos.
    "I cook cream soup" has nothing to do with being a wife

・⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!