How important is a Visual

• what's your opinion

if company fails to 'deliver' with that one visual member does it mean that group already starts career with a 'success bar' lowered one or two levels?

I'm curious what do akp fam think about it?

ah and to be clear I mean the one visual member, that stands out and creates a buzz on k-forums which makes Knetz interested into group

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Very important. especially in K-pop where beauty is everything. fans always deny this, but would you still stan your faves if they weren't attractive? what if the whole group had average looks? Most recent groups have had 1-2 members go viral for their beauty, which makes them even more popular. Nowadays it's even more important to have every member in a group be a visual so they can get more fans.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• Nah. Look at Sullyoon... She was so hyped but bc of their music the popularity didnt sustain. Same thing with Itzy. If the music isnt appealing the visual is worthless.

I do think that a visual gg with good music will be more popular than a non visual gg with good music though. The success may be the same, but beauty attract more stans cause ppl are shallow

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• The fact that people still asking these questions proves that Kpop didn't change much in the past 20 years. Visuals means nothing, especially because EVERYONE has a different taste. Sure, in Korea, the beauty standard is pretty much the same for every man and woman. That's why most Idols look like twins. The biggest problem isn't the fact that agencies are still thinking like they did in ancient times. For me, the real issue is that the so called fans are still doing it too. We live in the 21st century, yet most people still care more about the looks than the talent.

For me, visuals worth NOTHING, a celeb can be the most beautiful woman or the hottest guy on this planet, if they're not talented, they can piss off. It's literally the same when rich people using their money to gain more power.

Also, when they become old, nobody will give a shit about their looks, and if they're not talented, they will be forgotten, like they never existed in the first place.

would you still stan your faves if they weren't attractive? what if the whole group had average looks? Most recent groups have had 1-2 members go viral for their beauty, which makes them even more popular. Nowadays it's even more important to have every member in a group be a visual so they can get more fans.

Yes, I would! I prefer these women or girls than the Idol version! Popularity won't last long, especially nowadays.

pasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.pngpasted-from-clipboard.png

• it's a huge advantage but not everything. look at wonyoung vs newjeans trend

I would argue that Nj has multiple visuals vs only 1.

Like Aespa has multiple visuals. You can compare their total Instagram followers to Ive's, and although they only have 4 members vs. 6, but they effectively have an additional high impact visual member.

• I would argue that Nj has multiple visuals vs only 1.

Like Aespa has multiple visuals. You can compare their total Instagram followers to Ive's, and although they only have 4 members vs. 6, but they effectively have an additional high impact visual member.

yeah i was talking about how wonyoung creates a lot of knetz buzz but ultimately the newjeans sound trend was the one that became a global thing so it ain't always just about looks

• Outstanding visuals have the ability to bring money to a company. They are the perfect marketing tool for groups and products, but they have to be very very on top of their game to breakthrough these days otherwise they run the risk of just being a dozen

Oh my baby sweet like bubble gum!

16a5ad82f46a76cf3cdeb18fe28d7be0a6d0a66f.gifv

• yeah i was talking about how wonyoung creates a lot of knetz buzz but ultimately the newjeans sound trend was the one that became a global thing so it ain't always just about looks

To be honest, comparing Wy and NJ isn't a great example because all of them meet the very strict Knetz beauty standards. The difference is, Wy gets a lot of attention for her looks more than NJ members because she's an IT Girl that already well-known as the center of IZ*ONE and the winner of Produce48, which are huge in Korea. So, it's not only about looks anymore.

• To be honest, comparing Wy and NJ isn't a great example because all of them meet the very strict Knetz beauty standards. The difference is, Wy gets a lot of attention for her looks more than NJ members because she's an IT Girl that already well-known as the center of IZ*ONE and the winner of Produce48, which are huge in Korea. So, it's not only about looks anymore.

that's why i said newjeans "sound" trend. i'm not comparing visuals here. the point i'm trying to make is that music won over looks in their case

• Having the one great visual may take a group into the higher league. However, Entertainment should not act like a dumb and do not push only this person. Rather opposite: they need to pull out other members as well by using a popularity of this one visual.

Based on my own experience, there could be a possible way to stan a group after all

• In kpop, visuals are important, and you can even say the only important thing. Otherwise vocal groups such as mamamoo and btob and even golden girls (jyp group of veteran singers) would be the top groups.

However it is the total visuals combined for all members of the group. Having all or most members in the top 10% of idols is better than having just one member in the top 1% and the rest of the members just in the top 50%. All members should ideally be stan attractors, not just one member.

• Very few groups with good vocals but not good visuals find success.

You need at least one visual or your group will probably fail.

• a visual might not be the most popular member in a group but rarely will they be the least popular

also a visual has more opportunities to go into acting and other gigs once they move on from being in a group

• I would say very important. People say visuals doesn’t matter but we all find out biases attractive. Who wants to look at an ugly person all day? :teeheek:

On a more serious note though, visuals and the “x factor” are very important. Pure talent isn’t the most important thing (whether you think it should be or not is another convo). Visuals often bring a lot of attention to the group via acting and cf.

Kpop groups can be very successful without the best, most amazing talents. But they can’t be successful without visuals.

• It's more detrimental for Idol groups to have members that don't meet the Idol standard for Visuals than it is for the Visual in a group to not stand out as most don't.

The Visual Role is a position that usually goes to the Actors/Actresses in the group, it's mainly important to companies that aren't making a lot of money from the group they are in as it's expensive for Comebacks but dirt cheap to pay someone to manage an Idol in a Visual Role.

For multi-million dollar earning groups, the Visual Role isn't as relevant, TWICE is the best example of this, JYPE never needing to push a member into Acting when they started earning big money. Initially Nayeon was studying Acting but pulled out of School after the success of Cheer Up and while Tzuyu had been pushed through advertising, the Flag scandal forced LG to remove her advertisments.

aespa, IVE, NJs and NMIXX don't need a Visual Role despite having them as the Visual Role will never earn as much as their groups do for their Companies, rather it's just bonus cash. Also the weakness of being the Visual is age, especially for females.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!