[Achievement Post] NewJeans have completed the single most impressive individual year a girl group has ever had

• Did NewJeans just wrap up the single most successful year a girl group has ever had? 42

1. Yes (34) 81%
    2. No (8) 19%

Disclaimer: This will be a fact and stat dump of NewJeans' record setting and breaking 2023. If achievement posts frustrate you because you can't make a similar post about your favs, please hit backspace and enjoy your NYE.

This is my last NewJeans thread of the year, and I've been waiting for a while to give them their flowers for one of the most statistically dominant years a K-Pop group has ever had. Within the realm of girl groups, it is the most dominant by both achievement and acclamation.

I will stay high level and avoid going too granular, because if I spotlighted every single achievement, this would be a novel. I'll also avoid spamming twitter links, to make this a browser/phone friendly thread.

BunniesTaglist

xnXwEn4bxBngRQI-2B_FKDs1UyDLSz9VtNY-hvD0fYn-uKf8wKH0z-swek7D4jbcxC_M7dF7ZlRzMXA6FQxsZ7RMA8NvbN3n4_xDVVqWlRzM2DRwvyRameLsA1ss45cDuyFpEz3S-U56z6bsnS4DKAI

Korea Digital Achievements:

• First idol group in history to occupy the #1, #2 and #3 spot on every chart in Korea for 3 consecutive months with Ditto, OMG, Hype Boy
    • First idol group in history to have multiple songs spend at least 20 weeks on MelOn Weekly top 10
    • Ditto is the song with the most Perfect All Kills in history, setting the new record at 655
    • NewJeans have the most weeks at #1 on Circle Digital Chart in History–19; which at one point was more than all other artists combined in 2023
    • NewJeans are the fastest 4th gen group to surpass 1 billion streams on MelOn (489 days–previous record was 1589)
    • NewJeans accumulated 4.1 billion points on Circle Digital Chart in 2023 aloneno other girl group has ever reached 3 billion. The previous record was 2.8 billion by Twice
    • During a tracking period from 8/9/21 to 10/21/23, NewJeans have the most hours at #1 on MelOn with 3,716. The next closest is IVE at 2,449. NewJeans didn’t debut until 7/22/22.
    • NewJeans have the most cumulative days at #1 on MelOn this decade-169 days
    • NewJeans spent 66 consecutive weeks in the MelOn Weekly Top 10–a record
    • NewJeans surpassed 5 billion total points on Circle Digital Chart in only 64 weeks, second only to BTS (53 weeks)
    • Hype Boy is the first and only debut song to accumulate 1 billion points on Circle
    • NewJeans already have the second most cumulative weeks in the Melon top 10 Weekly in history, behind only Big Bang
    • They are the most followed 4th gen girl group on Melon
    • Biggest streaming year on YT South Korea with over 609 million streams, breaking BTS’s record set in 2021 (604 streams)

International Digital Achievements:

• First girl group to ever chart 5 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 in the same calendar year in K-Pop history
    • Set a Guinness record for fastest artist to reach 1 billion streams on Spotify and also became the fastest Korean act in history to reach 3 billion streams
    • 5 songs have surpassed 300 million streams on Spotify–no other 4th gen group has more than two
    • Hold the record for biggest streaming month by a girl group on Spotify in 2023
    • Second most weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 by a girl group (tied with Ice Cream and behind Cupid)
    • NewJeans is the highest-charting K-pop act this year on the Billboard Global 200 Artist, the Billboard Global Excl. US Artist.
    • Hype Boy has the most weeks (42) on the Billboard Global 200 of any girl group song
    • Highest charting and most streamed K-Pop girl group on Japan Hot 100
    • Ditto is the longest charting 4th gen song on the Japan Hot 100 (52 weeks)

Physical Sales:

• Sold 5 million copies on Circle with only 3 albums, becoming the fastest to reach the milestone
    • With 4.3 million sold in 2023, set the mark for highest sales by a female group in a single year on Circle
    • Became the fastest group to surpass 1 million sales on Hanteo (148 days) in history
    • NewJeans became the first debut album since 1997 to surpass 1 million copies sold in Korea
    • Get Up debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 with 126,500 units (101,500 pure sales) & 34.39M streams, outselling the Barbie OST and becoming only the second girl group ever to get a #1 on the chart
    • Biggest second week on the Billboard 200 in history
    • Most weeks in the top 100 in the Billboard 200 and has the most weeks of any 4th gen group (20) on the Billboard 200, on pace to break the all-time record (26)

Awards and Achievements:

• First female artist to win both Artist of the Year and Song of the Year at both MAMA and MelOn Music Awards in a single year
    • First girl group to win Artist of the Year at MelOn Music Awards since Girls' Generation in 2010
    • First female artist to win Artist of the Year at MAMA since Girls' Generation in 2011
    • First and only 4th gen group to win Artist of the Year daesang
    • First girl group to win multiple daesang awards at both MMA and MAMA in the same year since Girls' Generation in 2009 (MMA) and 2NE1 in 2010 (MAMA)
    • First and only 4th gen girl group to win Best Female Group at MAMA
    • Only non-Japanese track to win Song of the Year (Ditto) at Japan Record Awards
    • First winner of Billboard Top Global K-pop Artist at the Billboard Music Awards
    • Joined Wonder Girls and Girls' Generation as the only girl groups to top the Gallup Korea surveys of both Songs of the Year and Artists of the Year.
    • First girl group to top the Gallup Korea Artists of the Year since Girls' Generation in 2011.
    • First girl group invited to perform at Lollapalooza
    • First group invited to perform anthem for the 2023 League of Legends World Championships
    • First group invited to perform at the Billboard Music Awards
    • First girl group invited to perform at Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve

Critical Acclaim:

A picture is worth 1,000 words

Q9ffSIMPuL4HwViboa9Zwz9GbHKLacs1TO_aeq_jZfQtCwnVyPQuvVFMIlY41w0WOzAiT0sbwa2S8GTMJBiezhnmU5INjoni4eCMx4iHcHmcQ24WrehsBa8WBTUWVksI20iQwrNKSTd6Mg6NaosOVGw

The scary thing? Judging the trajectory of previous generation groups, they usually don’t truly begin peaking until year three. Twice debuted in 2015, but they were at their apex in 2017. BlackPink debuted in 2016, but they didn’t reach their apex until 2018. NewJeans only debuted in 2022, and they’re not even 2 years old with 2023 wrapping up. If their 2024 surpasses their 2023, we’re all going to feel silly for debating this at all.

This was truly the :cheer-bunny:YEAR OF THE RABBIT!!! :cheer-bunny:

• I hit submit before I meant to and ruined the formatting :pepefacepalm:

Let me fix this

While you do, let me give everyone a DELIGHTFUL recipe for a non alcoholic pineapple punch

pasted-from-clipboard.png

Tropical Non-Alcoholic Fruit Punch Recipe

Servings 8 servings

Light, refreshing, and bursting with tropical flavors, this Non Alcoholic Fruit Punch Recipe uses simple ingredients and goes together quickly. Truly the best party punch for all ages.

Prep Time 10 mins

Ingredients

5 cups pineapple juice

½ cup cream of coconut
    4 cups seltzer water or another bubbly water like club soda or sparkling water
    Fresh pineapple for garnish
    Maraschino cherries for garnish

Instructions

Add the pineapple juice and coconut cream to a blender. Blend well until combined.

Pour the blended mixture into a pitcher or small punch bowl and top off with the seltzer water. Give everything a gentle stir.

Fill your glass with ice and pour the punch over the ice cubes.

Garnish with fresh pineapple slices and a maraschino cherry if desired.

Notes

Nutrition calculated without garnishes.

This makes a large batch, but you can easily double it to feed more or halve the recipe as needed.
    Needs to be made to serve, I do not suggest making it ahead as the seltzer may become flat.
    Make sure to use cream of coconut and not coconut milk.
    Do not freeze.
    Add a splash of rum to your glass before adding the punch for the adult crowd if desired.

What did everyone else drink for New Years?

• YamaChwan

Changed the title of the thread from “NewJeans have completed the single most impressive individual year a girl group has ever had” to “[Achievement Post] NewJeans have completed the single most impressive individual year a girl group has ever had”.
  • I can't believe anyone was even willing to read the ruined unintended first draft of this post :pepe-cringe:

But I fixed it :send-love-bunny:

AKP Bunnies, come celebrate the most successful year any girl group has ever had! And let's look forward to more great music, stages and content in 2024.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

• Im making pina coladas for NYE

If i dont come back, I've accidentally given myself alcohol poisoning and I just want you guys to know its been mostly fun here

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

Edited once, last by DaisyTheGenuine ().

• I've been into Kpop for 9 years already and I've never witnessed such a successful first year for a girl group before. Around 2021 I ditched Kpop because it wasn't as fun anymore for me as when i was younger, but then NewJeans debuted in summer of 2022 and they single handedly brought me back into enjoying Kpop once more.

They remind me a lot of f(x) for some weird reason, so maybe that could be one of the reasons why NewJeans has such a special place in my heart ^^ For all I know they could be the last Kpop group I fully stan before I'll retire from Kpop lol :iconpepe:

Anyways, when NewJeans debuted, I just had a gut feeling they'd become a cultural reset in Kpop. And I was not wrong (despite how many Kpop fans like to disagree with that statement. But give it a few years for them to cool off before they finally acknowledge NewJeans' impact).

However I never expected for them to grow so successful in such a short time. I feel like such a proud mom lmao I'm so happy NewJeans exists, they literally single handedly revived my love for Kpop. :pepelove1:

I genuinely can't wait what they have in store for us Bunnies in 2024. I will for sure tune in! I'm excited for more and new music from them and pray that all the members stay healthy throughout the year^^

:send-love-bunny:

Love NewJeans girlies so much

I'm leaving, bye & Happy New Years :blue-heart:

• Are you my twin? That's exactly what happened to me almost verbatim. Happy to know NewJeans revived the love of a fellow veteran fan.

Happy New Years!

• 5 songs have surpassed 300 million streams on Spotify–no group has more than two

Is this for 4th gen groups alone? I'm sure Twice has at least 3 and BP deffo has more than that.

Also this is an amazing summary, they said it was going to be their year and they weren't wrong.

• Is this for 4th gen groups alone? I'm sure Twice has at least 3 and BP deffo has more than that.

Also this is an amazing summary, they said it was going to be their year and they weren't wrong.

It possibly is, but I can't look at any more numbers in 2023 ^^

It is likely I forgot to put 4th generation in front of that stat, but I'll check it later.

• Amazing post Yama, really appreciate all the work, will definitely save it for future use.

It really is mind-boggling when you see all of Newjeans’ achievements and milestones listed in one spot.

:pepe-loop:

I'm going to make small additions and revisions to the list over the next couple of days! :holding-back-tears:

Kudos! i'll drink to this as i wait for their performance on New Year's Rocking Eve in New York.

It just aired! They're a global sensation!

• They had an amazing year, I'm afraid even themselves can't replicate it. Digital and album sales will improve but the awards is tough to beat.

• New Jeans are doing great but they are the clear example of born on third base and think they hit a triple. I mean they're fans of course not the girls themselves. This is impossible to compare to groups who debuted at a time when sales like this weren't common, when internationally kpop wasn't huge. I think the only metric you can argue is domestically but even then the charts existing now are different and the method of streaming versus download is different. basically NJs had an incredible year but NJs has to be one of the most advantaged groups in the history of kpop. Basically they stand on the shoulders of giants.

• New Jeans are doing great but they are the clear example of born on third base and think they hit a triple. I mean they're fans of course not the girls themselves. This is impossible to compare to groups who debuted at a time when sales like this weren't common, when internationally kpop wasn't huge. I think the only metric you can argue is domestically but even then the charts existing now are different and the method of streaming versus download is different. basically NJs had an incredible year but NJs has to be one of the most advantaged groups in the history of kpop. Basically they stand on the shoulders of giants.

giphy.gif

I genuinely dont want to hear a twice fan, the group that had THREE japanese members, talk about Japanese domination again NOR being the number one kpop girl group because they were born with a full entire TV show dedicated to them by JYP first.

^ like obviously its true its still impressive that they did so much more than anyone else ever has with equal (honestly) resources.

If its just rhe resources wheres NMixx?? Wheres Babymonster?? Itzy? Fromis_9? How about the other top groups? Why are they lacking in international appeal and longevity?

Stop making an argument that #1 is so old and over discussed and #2 is insulting to every group who has ever used their small korean platform to get to Lollapalooza or Billboard performances or Coachella. Like they are owned by HYBE who only hardcore promoted them AFTER they debuted and proved their ability

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• Do you really type out that entire list or is it a copy paste situation?

I compiled everything in a separate document. I typed out 90% of it.

In the old days, this would have been a YT video.

It's mindblowing how much they have accomplished in such a short time. Quite magical to seen teenage kpopers everywhere dancing to their music. Certainly one of their kind

I should add a new bullet point. My friend, who shades me for liking NJ all the time, admitted that she saw them everywhere over the weekend. And she was in VA

Global stars!

I mean you make good points that it was quite easy for them compared to previous groups and im not saying Big 3 groups didnt have benefits but NJ are basically existing at the peak of KPOP or near it. They make songs that basically exist for tik tok which wasnt that big of a thing years ago.

• I think compared to those groups Hybe clearly put in way more effort,promo and basically make every song for tik tok and no they were heavily promoted pre debut also. Their achievement this year was big though at least domestic wise. Outside of Korea nothing that impressive.

Its really hard to compare say the Peak gen 2 girl group vs peak gen 3 girl group vs peak gen 4 girl group etc.. like it just doesnt make sense.

• Yeah no I think Twice and BP had better years.

You have the right to that opinion, but it's not backed by anything other than emotion or jealousy, I'm sure.

The only counterargument to the facts laid out by this post is to discredit, diminish and discard said facts as being "unfair" or "not an even playing field", even though roughly 80% of them happened on an even playing field with the peers who either released music in the same time frame or even had a years long advantage in their time window to promote before NewJeans even debuted.

BLACKPINK, Twice, IVE, (G)I-DLE and any other group you can think of all released music during this same "PEAK OF KPOP" that you're trying to use to undermine NewJeans, but only one group pulled these numbers, and it wasn't even close.

Happy New Years.

• As I said if you could read my post I said what they did in Korea was impressive. I still think comparing era's is pretty dumb though.

• As I said if you could read my post I said what they did in Korea was impressive. I still think comparing era's is pretty dumb though.

You can re-read what I said and see that, again, majority of these achievements happened in the same or even shorter timeline as their peers.

Stop coping and making lame excuses. You're better than that. I hope

• You can re-read what I said and see that, again, majority of these achievements happened in the same or even shorter timeline as their peers.

Stop coping and making lame excuses. You're better than that. I hope

How am I coping or making lame excuses lmfao. Anyways what NJ did in Korea was impressive their physical sales and internatlal stuff less impressive its that simple.

• How am I coping or making lame excuses lmfao. Anyways what NJ did in Korea was impressive their physical sales and internatlal stuff less impressive its that simple.

I'll make sure to put an asterisks by all their records and accomplishments, and I'll also forward that revision to Billboard, Spotify and Guinness World Records, with the memo "ForgottenSoul from AKP thinks these are less impressive".

Thank you for providing us with your professional and credible assessment on what stats get to count and what stats don't.

I know hybe wallets are exhausted after all of this pepe-ooh

Yeah, they actually know how to utilize their resources and connections, unlike JYP's tragic desperation for Western validation and completely missing the mark every single time.

Easily.

Thanks for the engagement.

:pepe-toast:

• I mean they release a lot of music thats literally their billboard/physical stats to me thats not impressive wow you released a lot of music so you sold more WOW shocking.

If you mean basically forcing them selfs into America then yeah NJ did that.. Twice actually didnt jump into that market meanwhile NJ got that Hybe privilege pretty much instantly and obviously Spotify Payola. NJ have like the most forced inorganic push in America in KPOP honestly.

Fact is their physical sales are not impressive for 2023 KPOP they just released 3 albums and sold 5m? I think quite a few girl groups can release 3 albums and sell more.

Its easy to boost songs now days you can do youtube ads,spotify ads, tik tok ads. Compared to years ago when it was basically 1 of those things and barely anyone did it.

NJ had such a impressive year yet got out streamed on Youtube and Spotify by BP who have not released anything since 2022, thats why I say their Korean stats are impressive but not global.

I dont need to agree with you, just accept my opinion and move on its really not that hard. You wont though because you need me to boost your flop ass threads.

You jump on NJ as a success fan cause Mamamoo are irrelevant lmfao, do you even support NJ because all you do is use them for success stats towards other groups.

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!