What do you think about Monsta X?

• Monsta X is barely talked about in online kpop communities and I always wondered what happened, since they seem to have had quite a significant international following, a large catalog with a good mix of chill english-language songs, collabs with foreign artists, pop, but also EDM, house and what kpop stans would call "construction music".

To me it seems like they may have declined in popularity after the rise of 4th gen groups, namely Stray Kids and ATEEZ, that may have "stolen" some of their fans, a timing which coincided with the departure of Wonho. :/

I personally think they're a solid group, with a good discography, a very strong rap line and great vocals. I can't pinpoint a noticeable decline in music quality, but from 2019 onwards their music has been considerably less "noisy". :/

What do you think about them? Would you consider them a popular group, semi-popular or nugu? Would you agree that their decline in popularity is due to the saturation of the kpop market post 2018?

To the fans, do share your favorite Monsta X songs or performances

• Go to Best Answer
  • I remember when they used to be one of the most popular boygroups internationally. I think 4th gen groups overshadow them now even tho they’re still doing well (looking at numbers).

They used to be one my most played groups:

All in

Hero

English songs

Their album find you also had some good songs

Etc

But I don’t really listen to them anymore, I don’t really like their newer songs. I like their older melody’s more. Also with Wonho leaving I lost some interest, even tho he wasn’t my favorite member. Shownu x hyungwon is closer to what I listen to

NewJeans é envolvido em nova polêmica com o MV de “OMG” | Revista KoreaIN

Edited 3 times, last by lialve ().

• Iirc, they've had their best domestic chart performance and physical sales this year. I wouldn't say they are declining per say, but most likely didn't grow as much along with the rest of the industry.

Off topic, but these days I was re-listening to "Shoot Out' and I remember how much of a noise It was back in 2018. I couldn't even finish the song that time. But then, on a second impression recently, I thought It was pretty listenable. It made me think my personal taste on music changed.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• Iirc, they've had their best domestic chart performance and physical sales this year. I wouldn't say they are declining per say, but most likely didn't grow as much along with the rest of the industry.

Off topic, but these days I was re-listening to "Shoot Out' and I remember how much of a noise It was back in 2018. I couldn't even finish the song that time. But then, on a second impression recently, I thought It was pretty listenable. It made me think my personal taste on music changed.

Shoot Out is iconic! But I agree there is a big whiplash between the verse and then the more poppy chorus.

• Monsta X was always amongst the mid-tier BGs from third gen. Always overshadowed by BTS, EXO, Wanna One, X1, and then Seventeen.

I think it only makes sense that they not be talked about as much once 4th and "5th" gen boy groups started coming on to the scene. Heck, even Seventeen is not talked about as much as they should be relative to their popularity.

As group, I like them though. They were never one of my favorites, but I liked their music and find them to be talented. I'm happy that they are still going strong and promoting successfully as well even if they don't get talked about as much as they should.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Monsta X used to be one of the more talked about groups on here. It is hard to use online communities to gage how popular a group is. Most of the conversations on sites like this is always about the newest hottest groups. Back when I started using this site in 2016/2017 a lot of people still talked about Monsta X. Other groups like Winner and Ikon back then as well. Though the main thing with BGs back then was EXO VS BTS VS GOT7. Yeah, a lot of people actually talked about GOT7 on here back then lol.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Monsta X used to be one of the more talked about groups on here. It is hard to use online communities to gage how popular a group is. Most of the conversations on sites like this is always about the newest hottest groups. Back when I started using this site in 2016/2017 a lot of people still talked about Monsta X. Other groups like Winner an Ikon back then as well. Though the main thing with BGs back then was EXO VS BTS VS GOT7. Yeah, a lot of people actually talked about GOT7 on here back then lol.

you are right that the forum is a bit skewed towards newer shinier groups and mostly ggs, and one of the best examples in seventeen. there are like 3 threads on them this year and look at how massive 2023 was for them. quite interesting.

when i first got into kpop, got7 seemed indeed like one of the most popular groups.

• My favorite perfomances by them

They absolutely murder when it comes to stage presence

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Also trespass rock version I would die if I had seen this live

External Content youtu.be

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• you are right that the forum is a bit skewed towards newer shinier groups and mostly ggs, and one of the best examples in seventeen. there are like 3 threads on them this year and look at how massive 2023 was for them. quite interesting.

when i first got into kpop, got7 seemed indeed like one of the most popular groups.

I have also noticed on here that when a new group come out a lot of people will hate on it but then in a few months will be huge fans of them lol.

Like I remember how NCT was considered a huge flop at debut lol.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• I love them a lot!!!!

I don't think MX lost any of their popularity, on contrary they are doing better than ever especially in SK. I feel like they finally have stable fanbase there and all their efforts are paying off. I also don't think Wonho departure impacted them at all.

Bunch of hardworking guys, they work like they are rookies and I like that about them :pepe-cowboy:

My favorite member is I.M and he has amazing solo music too.

• Never appealed to me musically,but god are they all one giant thirst trap,especially when Wonho was around :oops:

agreed lol I will never forget this iconic performance

(and so won't seventeen 2x)

• I'm legit shocked learning that they are doing better than ever in Korea rn, just goes to show how little they are talked about on akp. :eyes:

• Yeah, I think a lot of the international fans that were into Monsta X before Wonho left support both or just Monsta X.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!