An Analysis of Le Sserafim Individual Member Fancam Views (or: What Happened to Kazuha?)

• As most of us know, Le Sserafim debuted in May last year to considerable fanfare. As Source Music's follow-up to GFriend, they piqued my interest somewhat, so shortly after their debut, I started a long-term project to track their individual fancam views as a way to gauge the popularity of each member.

My methodology was to search for official fancams on YouTube, then record the views for each member roughly a week after a particular fancam was uploaded. Now we have to keep in mind that fancam views can vary drastically depending on source (e.g. M Countdown tends to have more views than Show Champion), so in order to normalise views across sources, I calculated the average (mean) views for each set of fancams, then expressed each LSF member's performance *as a percentage* of that number.

It was then simple to generate a time-phased presentation of the data, with each member's percentages for each set of fancams colour-coded in a green-yellow-red scale (with green being best). My results are shown in the figure below:

LSF_Fancams.png

Observations and questions:

• First of all, the various music shows are quite inconsistent in posting complete sets of fancams, so as we can see, it's often the case that fancams are missing for certain members.
    • As shown in the last row, I calculated the median value of the percentage scores for each member, and based on that, Le Sserafim's overall popularity ranking is as follows: Sakura, Kazuha, Chaewon, Eunchae, Yunjin.
    • The first thing to notice here is that Sakura easily dominates across all three of LSF's eras (Fearless - Antifragile - Unforgiven). What's the reason for this? Is it just because of her fandom from the HKT48/AKB48 days?
    • Now my biggest question is: what happened to Kazuha? Her start was even stronger than Sakura's, I'm assuming because she has the best visuals in the group. However, her fancam views already started declining during Fearless promotions, and her performance during the Antifragile time frame was uneven. Things got even worse during the Unforgiven era, with Kazuha's fancams often receiving among the lowest views. So what happened? Her visuals haven't gotten worse from what I've seen, so something else must be the culprit.
    • Chaewon, on the other hand, had a middle-of-the-pack start. However, towards the end of Antifragile promotions, she began gaining more and more views. What was the cause? Conversely, why wasn't Chaewon able to maintain her popularity during Unforgiven? Her performance during this era has been very inconsistent, and like Kazuha, she's been falling behind her fellow members.
    • Eunchae, meanwhile, had a pretty horrible start, ranking the worst or second-worst consistently during Fearless. That being said, her views increased quite a bit during Antifragile promotions, and she's continued to improve through Unforgiven, even taking first place at times. Was it Garam's departure that benefited her? Or are her increased views just due to her upgraded visuals?
    • Like Eunchae, Yunjin also had a bad start. Did people not like her because she's from the US? Were her visuals too "Western"? She really didn't show much improvement until Unforgiven promotions, so again, is there a reason for this?
    • As for Garam, she had a middle-of-the-pack start like Chaewon. Now hypothetically, if she hadn't been kicked out of the group, where do you think she would rank currently?
    • Taking a step back, are fancam views even an accurate measure of individual member popularity? I tend to believe that they're a relatively valid indicator.
  • kazuha when wearing skirt seems to only wear super long safety shorts and clearly isn’t comfortable in mini skirts, So the stylist puts her in pants 90% of the time, with a small crop top

So it’s prob boring as a fan cam viewer

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is the best example

• The first thing to notice here is that Sakura easily dominates across all three of LSF's eras (Fearless - Antifragile - Unforgiven). What's the reason for this? Is it just because of her fandom from the HKT48/AKB48 days?

Yes, I think having a really loyal fanbase will make you retain a consistent view numbers.

Now my biggest question is: what happened to Kazuha? Her start was even stronger than Sakura's, I'm assuming because she has the best visuals in the group.

Now, there maybe several things that we overlooked here. Things like "the next new shiny things" etc etc. Also it's normal for her to make more buzz than sakura or chaewon since some already knew both of them, but not this new member.

But then... maybe this will be the answer to your last question, since fancam views could be a popularity indicator, it's not the sole factor since there is many things that could make you popular aside from fancam.

Back to kazuha, we should also think about the things that she got in AF era and UF era. I remembered that Kazuha was pretty popular in the fandom back then because of her funny remarks in many of their contents such as leniverse or vlive. But she didn't had anything on her own in AF and UF right?

Tho I doubt this will be a thing if we compare Kazuha and Sakura, since most of fearless Kkura watcher are her fanbase too. But maybe will more relevant compared to other member, eg. Chaewon/Eunchae which doesn't have the same strong loyal fanbase like Sakura.

Chaewon, on the other hand, had a middle-of-the-pack start. However, towards the end of Antifragile promotions, she began gaining more and more views. What was the cause? Conversely, why wasn't Chaewon able to maintain her popularity during Unforgiven? Her performance during this era has been very inconsistent, and like Kazuha, she's been falling behind her fellow members.

For me, Chaewon is one of the weird case here. If we are talking about fancam, the thing that will be watched is:

Performance

And well, didn't Chaewon rising really high and even talked by other fandom because of her great performance in Antifragile? (Which makes her to be really popular in AF era)

But then, if on average, she was on the middle after Sakura and Kazuha, this might tell me that I'm wrong and fancam is maybe not about performance at all... (Which funnily enough you assume that fancam is about the idol's visual and the other user's reply saying fancam is about the outfit)

Also in UF era (well, pre-UF actually) she had a funny variety show. I've seen some TikToks of her being mad in the show gains a quite numbers. But then those numbers seems not being translated to her fancam views..

Thus maybe, this is also can be the answer for your last question?

Eunchae, meanwhile, had a pretty horrible start, ranking the worst or second-worst consistently during Fearless. That being said, her views increased quite a bit during Antifragile promotions, and she's continued to improve through Unforgiven, even taking first place at times. Was it Garam's departure that benefited her? Or are her increased views just due to her upgraded visuals?

Yes, for Eunchae, up is the only way for her since she is indeed at the bottom from the beginning, compared to the others. Maybe beside she used bangs, the leniverse contents really makes her shine in the group. People really like her persona. Although it's kinda sad to me if people watch her fancam just because they love her persona, not because of her talents because personally, I think she is a good dancer at her age.

I would even say that she kinda the same with Chaewon. People love both their performance and personality. It just that since Eunchae is starting at the bottom that makes her to be only increasing, she was new after all.

Like Eunchae, Yunjin also had a bad start. Did people not like her because she's from the US? Were her visuals too "Western"? She really didn't show much improvement until Unforgiven promotions, so again, is there a reason for this?

Yeah, Yunjin is the other weird case for me. I think her visual is not a problem and it's actually the otherwise? I saw many new people (both in akp and twitter) are liking her just because of her visual. If we are talking about performance... well, I gotta admit that she always delivers. Heck, sometimes it's on par with the Kim Chaewon herself.

But then, why?

I also got the same question marks like you do ^^

Oh, and if we are talking about her likeability on personality, I found that the fandom really love her funny remarks and reaction.

But then... Why??

Heck she was even the first member to be able release solo songs, and she even had her own stage at some festival/event recently.

But then... Why?

About garam...

Maybe she will be on either 3/4? Idk. Since Sakura's strength in this case is her loyal fanbase, while Kazuha is indeed the popular one even when Garam was still in the group. So number 1 and 2 will always be theirs, at least until now.

• This is awesome, wow. For a group built around Sakura and Chaewon (izone stars), Kazuha was a dark horse that took a lot of the attention when she debuted. Jaws dropped. Koreans instantly compared her to Suzy (her visuals actually fit the K standard more than the J) and were intrigued by her ballet background. Idk, she's more of a known quantity now? Though not as dominant as time of debut, she's holding her own with Sakura and Chaewon, and is the second most google searched among the members too.

Sakura is that stable veteran presence on stage (it came to light she was no. 1 on produce 101). The Japanese call her "Miyawaki pro" - she is the definition of "the idol" on or offstage. She has a crazy following in China too but that shows up in album sales rather than youtube views. Recent small Eve Psych pickup is probably due to bangs.

Chaewon reinvented herself for LSF. It paid off and she was fully in character during Antifragile, complete with akanbe facial expressions. Idk, she was ranked as most searched on google out of the members i believe so I wouldn't worry much.

Eunchae's greatest fear was that she would end up not getting any attention compared to the others. You can say the girls "produced" Eunchae themselves - her improvement can be attributed to the baby Eunchae and 4 mothers dynamic in their prolific offstage content, which gave her the spotlight. Exposure from MC'ing resulted in another growth spurt.

Unlike Kazuha and Eunchae, Yunjin was more of a known quantity - the public had been a bit taken aback by her assertiveness going for main vocals during Produce and she ended up falling to no. 26. Idk, maybe some of that image still remains. But on the flip side, there are many who became fans of her due to her more loud American personality. Really balances out the group as well. Unforgiven era saw her in top form slaying with energy and power.

• Umm?? Isn't this a pretty creepy thing to say😨

• Unforgiven was not as well liked by the general public as Antifragile. It was moderately liked, driven by the success of Fandom and Antifragile. Eve & Psyche and Bluebeard Wife are more popular in this CB. Each group's members fancams don't get 1mn views every CB. Except for Sakura, there's only one Chaewon who has a big fandom. Kazuha may need to improve her performance. Eunchae is developing rapidly. Chaewon and Sakura are more expert. Yunjin shines in songs like Eve & Psyche. Even though I like Kazuha, it started to feel a bit the same, as if her performance was what it was in Antifragile. All she has to do is learn to reflect her energy differently in songs from other genres. I think her performance was very good but the clothes were definitely the same in this CB so maybe the audience didn't feel any difference.

• kazuha when wearing skirt seems to only wear super long safety shorts and clearly isn’t comfortable in mini skirts, So the stylist puts her in pants 90% of the time, with a small crop top

So it’s prob boring as a fan cam viewer

Umm?? Isn't this a pretty creepy thing to say😨

For Kazuha, I think it's because her outfit. Ever since AF, t's always crop top, crop top, and crop top.

This is an unexpected hypothesis, but I appreciate it being brought to my attention. I actually checked all the Kazuha fancams, and here's what I found with regard to her outfits:

Outfit Type
    Count (%)
    Pants50 (56.2%)
    Skirt18 (20.2%)
    Shorts11 (12.4%)
    Dress10 (11.2%)
    TOTAL89 (100.0%)

Thus, Kazuha does appear to be more predisposed to wearing pants compared to the other members. I can also say that she wore pants noticeably more often in the Antifragile and Unforgiven eras, so there's some correlation, but of course, correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

• :pepestare::pepe-back-away:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!