When did BTS graduate from Nugudom?

• So, I only got into BTS in 2018 so they were already huge but when was the exact time BTS stopped getting treated like a nugu? First win with I need you? 2 albums in the top 10 selling albums of 2015? After Fire? After Wings?

• I feel like they were only really nugu during their 1st year. 2014 and onward they started getting big internationally and later on, in 2017-2018, in korea too.

At least that's my impression as a casual kpop follower.

• I think their ‘break through’ was in 2015 with the release of The Most Beautiful Moment EP that saw the huge growth in success, reach, and recognition in SK and internationally.

But 2017 is when they really hit another level and it was when I finally noticed them because of Spring Day lol (but didn’t become ARMY until 2019).

• Depends what the definition of nugudom was at that time, but if you just look at certain numbers, the start of the HYYH era was when they very rapidly grew their reputation. I NEED U did well in Korea (has 3.8m uls on Melon) and Dope was a big stan attractor as well, especially I've heard internationally.

They also started to double their 1st month sales with the 3 albums that were released after The Most Beautiful Moment in Life pt1. Went from 70k to 680k in 1.5 year.

• I think in 2015, a lot of things happened this year but it was all really worth it. INU and DOPE definitely the moment where their careers path change a lot both in Korea and internationally. Before that, their sales were increased but no one really care about them esp in Korea. But since that they started to have a lot of active Korean fansite and started to visible in eyes of knetz. I become a fans during this time too. Unfortunately, this album also the same album where they were accused for sajaegi by knetz and vip.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you think why Bts started to have a lot of aggressive and loud fans, this is one of the biggest trigger where most Armys were mad for the accusations.

So, for me it was 2015 where they were finally out of nugudom and suddenly all eyes on them.

• I agree. They weren't big big nor nugu. They were that rookie that people would talk about because of their concept but didn't really get a lot of media exposure. I've only started following them around 2014/2015 but I have known them since they were rookies cause kpop fans would talk about how they have members that started as underground rappers.

• I agree. They weren't big big nor nugu. They were that rookie that people would talk about because of their concept but didn't really get a lot of media exposure. I've only started following them around 2014/2015 but I have known them since they were rookies cause kpop fans would talk about how they have members that started as underground rappers.

I was surprised when I found out they've won Rookie of the Year in major South Korean music awards (Melon, Golden Disc, etc.) except for MAMA.

• 2015-2016 i think

i wasn’t an ARMY back then but I NEED U was actually the first BTS song i listened to thanks to KARA members recommending it. it was obviously their break-out song.

But i think the kpop community didn’t take them seriously by then. It was only after Fire and BS&T comebacks that they truly became a force in Kpop and international scene. I could feel their impact outside of kpop because one of my gaming friends who was from Europe recomended Fire randomly in our discord server lol

Edited once, last by Onewbias ().

• I was surprised when I found out they've won Rookie of the Year in major South Korean music awards (Melon, Golden Disc, etc.) except for MAMA.

Because no one from popular company debuted that year 😭. All were nugu nugu. Bts somewhat a little bit known bc their reputation as a group with underground rappers.

It's just like last year rookies boy groups, they're winning the awards but nobody really know them.

• I was surprised when I found out they've won Rookie of the Year in major South Korean music awards (Melon, Golden Disc, etc.) except for MAMA.

I know antis will use their rookie grand slam as somehow not being nugu but 2013 was lackluster in every way for rookie groups. So much so that the ONLY remaining and active group from 2013 is BTS. No year would have gone without giving out rookie awards. It just so happened BTS debuted at a time when their debut peers were so weak to compete with. I thought after History debuted, even with the IU promotion would have been competitors but BTS had a certain charm and drive they didn't. Had they debuted the year before or the year after, that would have shown just how truly nugu they were and they would have not won any awards.

• To answer OP, I've felt the shift change after Dope. I know some will say INU or BST but Dope really turned the tide imo. Especially riding off the BIL wave that even 2015 BTS had other idols covering in droves. After Dope, more popular idols began to take note of BTS.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!