I want idols to only be coworkers

• honestly, how old are you? how can you compare living in a dormitory to forced labor situations? idols are essentially getting their housing paid for as compensation for their employment (though in smaller companies they have to pay it back ). but i can tell you, i would JUMP at the opportunity to get a job where i can live rent free. some people are paying rent that is half of their monthly paycheck...

AND not to mention that you don't seem to understand that idols in the same group living together is a huge convenience to them and the company. if they have early schedules they're all in one place and arrive together rather than their manager running around tow picking up the members from different places. late schedules they all get to get home at the same time.

idols who actually make money for their company do get a fair wage. only the idols that aren't bringing in profits don't get paid unless they're in a scam company. and all idols get money based on the contracts they signed. i can agree some companies are probably shady with contracts, but minor idols even have to have their parents sign it so....

who's your favorite artist?

• I was nodding to a few point and then I saw this... Did you really just try to say being an IDOL is the same as the violations of human rights we've seen in American slavery and visible most recently, Qatar.

REALLY? Don't bother taking a seat, just leave the room entirely.

No im not saying its the same, i’m not even saying that those separate things are the same because in Qatar they technically WERE getting paid, the work WAS legal, and the many participants were at first WILLING.

The children in diamond minds are often not paid at ALL.

People in slave like conditions working in factories sometimes even in their own role think of that as a job because it was better than their other options, but still its slave labor in our eyes from where we sit.

The overlap I’m talking about is that in the UAE and Qatar these are contractual obligations often, so technically theyre legal and they slip by through the guise of “providing shelter” because technically it is shelter.

The point i’m trying to get at is that these idols are making how much money? Regardless of what exposure they are given because exposure doesnt pay the bills, and it doesnt help when you still have debt from your trainee days. Im drawing parallels between two uncomfortable truths.

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• honestly, how old are you? how can you compare living in a dormitory to forced labor situations? idols are essentially getting their housing paid for as compensation for their employment (though in smaller companies they have to pay it back ). but i can tell you, i would JUMP at the opportunity to get a job where i can live rent free. some people are paying rent that is half of their monthly paycheck...

AND not to mention that you don't seem to understand that idols in the same group living together is a huge convenience to them and the company. if they have early schedules they're all in one place and arrive together rather than their manager running around tow picking up the members from different places. late schedules they all get to get home at the same time.

idols who actually make money for their company do get a fair wage. only the idols that aren't bringing in profits don't get paid unless they're in a scam company. and all idols get money based on the contracts they signed. i can agree some companies are probably shady with contracts, but minor idols even have to have their parents sign it so....

But shouldn’t idols who are working their job despite profitability just be paid enough to live because theyre working their contractually obligated hours?

If a bus shows up late the drivers paid. If a patient passes away the doctors and nurses and hospital staff are all paid. Hell, if a song is not profitable, the producers and the writers are also all still paid. Yet these CHILDREN are signing contracts, going tens of thousands of dollars into debt at the age of 11, 12 becoming trainees and rookies, but they aren’t being paid for the work they are doing. At the end of the day 13 year old BoA being a superstar, and 13 year old Yeri putting out content and learning to be PERFECT were both working for SM and BOTH should have been paid fairly.

And to your point about it being less time consuming, youre right. But should anybody have to devote that much time to something that they are PAYING to do? Not being PAID to do? All while being lied to about how much they eventually will be paid? Its exploitation and it all starts when they’re children.

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• You're really angling to be the first thread in Dumpster Fires with this narrative, I guess?

• But shouldn’t idols who are working their job despite profitability just be paid enough to live because theyre working their contractually obligated hours?

If a bus shows up late the drivers paid. If a patient passes away the doctors and nurses and hospital staff are all paid. Hell, if a song is not profitable, the producers and the writers are also all still paid. Yet these CHILDREN are signing contracts, going tens of thousands of dollars into debt at the age of 11, 12 becoming trainees and rookies, but they aren’t being paid for the work they are doing. At the end of the day 13 year old BoA being a superstar, and 13 year old Yeri putting out content and learning to be PERFECT were both working for SM and BOTH should have been paid fairly.

And to your point about it being less time consuming, youre right. But should anybody have to devote that much time to something that they are PAYING to do? Not being PAID to do? All while being lied to about how much they eventually will be paid? Its exploitation and it all starts when they’re children.

but again that is where the housing comes in. they are getting all expense paid housing as compensation. idk what sk's laws are, but it is obvious they accept this as a form of payment, otherwise many kpop companies would have been shut down ages ago. the entertainment industry always has a different set of rules anyway. even in the u.s there are stories of artists not making any money because of bad contracts.

i think the kpop industry is scummy. no one is arguing you on that. but it is NOT slavery and it was wrong of you to try to make that comparison. yes, the industry is exploitative. but i will always be of the opinion that PARENTS are the ones that need to be protecting their children from signing contracts at 13 that don't have their best interest in mind. and again, every idol willingly signed a contract that was likely very plainly spelled out for them. whether they read it or not, or had legal council with them or not, were pressured to sign it or not is a whole different story.

and newsflash...not all idols are children. you could have made your point about protecting child idols without all the extra hubbub.

who's your favorite artist?

• The housing argument is interesting.

I do agree bangmenah went too far in comparing it to Qatar and slavery, but I also agree it is one way to avoid paying idols an actual living wage and further forcing them to be bound to the contract.

But the dorming situation also does mean that idols, especially in their first few years, can't be just "co-workers" because co-habitation doesn't allow that, especially if your movements are quite controlled. You either get along and get close, or have a miserable experience, because theres not much other choice. I've lived in company dorms in Japan where I HATED one of my room mates. He worked in a different branch to me, but on days off, the ONLY way to avoid him was to not be home. Idols dont even have that luxury because they cant just decide "I'm going out for the day by myself".

Interestingly, I think older, established groups are the ones that have more power to reframe their group relationship to something more either "co-worker" style or at least "close colleagues", if they so choose. Because, with enough success and finally earning money, they can afford to leave the forced closeness of Dorm life, live alone and have a lot more control over how much time they spend with each other (excluding touring and some comebacks of course). If Jennie doesn't want to see Jisoo for a week or two for whatever reason, she doesn't have to, except at work. If Nayeon and Momo are living together, it's their choice, and if they want to hang out with Jeongyeon for the day, its up to them. The recent supposed Rose/Lisa fight could have stemmed from them needing to be 24/7 proximity again after quite a time apart.

Some fans probably notice these subtle shifts in a groups dynamics, and being overly dramatic weirdoes, declare that they arent close anymore or hate each other or dont feel like a family anymore or whatever... but over all its probably a good thing.

• but the companies don't want that..

they want them to live together and form a closer bond thus greater sales because they are seen as a family

it's different to yours and mine situation since we aren't living with our co-workers 24/7

we also don't have a camera on us all the time

• Tbf putting myself in idols' shoes, I'd hate to be only a coworker in a work condition like theirs.

I can barely handle normal coworker life, imagine living with them and feeling such indifference.

Yep

And from the company perspective, it's easier to manage their schedule and daily transportation if they are living together.

Like, their daily training ends at night, midnight and sometime past midnight...

It's easier to make sure that they are coming home safe if all of them living together or living nearby in 1 area.

Thus they must living together.

And not everyone can manage their life by themselves, sometimes they need the others, hence why we see many idols thanking their mates for taking care of them.

And yeah, you may living your life as if every member is just your coworkers, but not everyone is you. There are many people that are naturally affectionate and will taking care the others.

So, it bounds to happen if you are living together...

Unless 80% of the group are indifferent and taking all of this only as business.

Edited 2 times, last by desdesdes ().

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!