Velvet's Top 15 B-Sides of 2022

• In terms of albums, 2022 really was a weird, hit or miss year for me. I did fall out of some groups this year due to their recent material, but on the flip side, I started stanning a lot of groups because of their 2022 content. This year for me really changed and opened my mind to what I actually liked in K-pop, and if you told me 12 months ago that I’d be listening regularly to groups such as Cravity, Exo and Fromis_9, I’d down right not believe you. My B-Side list reflects this down to a tea.

I don’t have many honourable mentions, unlike my future Top singles list which will have plenty. It was hard enough to think of 10 songs if I’m being honest, but it’s not because 2022 didn’t supply any good tracks. It’s that my taste really did shift throughout the months, and I listened to a lot of ‘old’ K-pop from the early 2010’s in the first half, so apologies if I missed out on a lot of good B-sides from those first months. I will say though that the second half of 2022 was stronger than the first, and I’m not saying that because I wasn’t paying attention (I mean I was, but I was also exploring the ancient times!). A lot of releases just didn’t appeal to me.

I’m going to save the majority of my thoughts for the singles list. I have a taglist but if you want me to tag you in the singles post, please tell me. Note, as well: I tried to limit the tracks to one per idol(s), yet there’s a group that slipped through the cracks, so apologies. Also, my top singles will come out tomorrow, so be prepared for that.

Also, this isn’t objective. That should be obvious though.

Honourable mentions:

Love is Around - Fromis_9

Los Angeles - Seulgi

Blue Flame - Le Sserafim

Blood Moon - YooA

S6YYrF4OAlLE1P60a5Ui9XQQBS4aC2WXd2WrgUgu90T4DS4OWumrO29qxSOGdbIZZooYA0jRpydGqYS1wcc42GyS5ydCfD3b6YgYpO5GuNhZ8yFUX_5K2YvO0tyDWyTZQfNbNZNnFnDKNNRD3lUvwRN5_EZa8_KVSDUA3VQMQlsN_IJaDE1tcawt78birw

15. Closer - Girls’ Generation

This breezy track is very versatile in my opinion: It’ll either have you vibing or dancing or crying. There’s this nostalgic feeling to it, supported by its city-pop influences, that keeps me close to it. A major reason why I got the Forever 1 album.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

14. Done - WJSN

Though WJSN deserved more than a single album after their success on Queendom 2 this year, they really exceeded my expectations with Sequence. Done ties the ribbon on the present, having such constant energy throughout its duration, yet still being subtle and teasing at some times. Shame that the group didn’t have an album release this year.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

13. Royal - IVE

IVE had a banger of a year, and Royal explains how so. Their vocals and raps absolutely surprised me, as the electronic production made this bold yet dreamy atmosphere. The anti-drop is surprising as well, but the second part is absolutely satisfying to listen to. No wonder the group’s on their A-game!

12. Bound - Key

Gasoline is an amazing album that deserves an in-depth review, and Bound is my pick for best track. It’s way out of Key’s comfort zone to do a sound like this, with its constant percussion, horror-esque chords, and atmospheric song writing, but they all work together to produce a track so horror-filled, yet romantic.

11. Bear Hug - Suho

I’m not someone who usually does ballads, so imagine my shock when I found out I love Bear Hug. It’s very comforting, and despite its power the drums, electric guitar, and Suho’s voice has, this song really makes it work with the song writing, piano and strings. Review here. 

10. Driver - Sf9

This adrenaline-filled track absolutely exceeds with its use of brass and synths. Sf9’s airy vocals are the best part of Driver though, it levels up the production and lyricism into euphoric synth-pop. Though I don’t enjoy the trap break, the electric guitar solo in the final minute makes up for it and adds such a high point.

9. New Addiction - Cravity

The electric-popness of New Addiction, mixed with the pumping lyricism and perfect performance makes this track an absolute banger. The bridge with the electric guitar and heavy beats elevates the track, as Cravity gets redeemed in my eyes. Review here.

8. Simulation - Kwon Eunbi

The bassline should tell you everything. Though it sounds simple, Simulation builds into a banger of a chorus, with string chords and Eunbi’s voice carrying the song as the electronic rhythm adds a warm mood. The genre change to minimal production, and the underwater-like arrangement just showcases the atmosphere this track has. The final minute of the prolonged chorus is one to die for.

External Content www.youtube.com

7. Love, Love, Love - Viviz

The fast, memorable beat, the piano chords and catchy hooks goes to show how well disco-house can be. Viviz sell their performance through their airy yet powerful vocals. The guitar and effects add so much to the vibe as the chorus is so theatrical. I should review this album soon.

6. Silence - Drippin

Though the second verse has its problems, the tension of Silence in its verses is excellent. The chorus calls back to Infinite, as its electronic production pulls into pure ecstasy. The lyricism is amazing too, so simple yet so intriguing.

5. Feedback - Xiumin

The hip-hop beat mixed with electronica and Xiumin’s beautiful voice gravitates me to the track. The lyricism is to the point and addictive. I feel such euphoria listening to the chorus. A huge highlight in Exo’s solo projects.

4. Juice - Mirae

I only reviewed this track last week so I won’t delve in too much, however the nu-disco vibe featuring amazing song writing is so magical. I just love this song, there isn’t much to say. Review here. 

3. Knocking On My Door - Golden Child

Remindful of the perfect Highway to Heaven, Knocking On My Door is ambitious for Golden Child. However, the track is full of romanticism and euphoria as the synth-pop background mixed with the energising song writing makes such an amazing song. Review here.

2. Welcome To The Future - Mirae

Apologies for breaking my own rules, but Welcome To The Future is a song we cannot leave out. This song is off its shit, but the adrenaline fuelled by its fast beat, catchy chorus, and skyrocketing synths, makes a dance banger that is very, very underrated.

1. Cyberpunk - Ateez

I haven’t heard such a great Ateez track in years! The synth rhythm with the constant, loud beat is already full of energy, but when the chorus hits, oh my god it hits! Jongho and the rap line carries the track on their backs, elevating the song to such a maddening high. Despite its slow tempo, Cyberpunk holds such ecstasy and energy that makes me believe it’s the best Bside for the year.

• russianvelvet idk how often you plan on making threads like these, but it could be a good idea to compile your picks into a spotify playlist or smth!

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Yo the Xiumin, SF9, and Viviz one are really good :eyes:

God ikr!!! I'm heavily impressed with Vviz one's particulary since I wasn't a fan of their debut

I already know Royal and Blue Flame and I lovee it!

I loved New Addiction (i really need to listen to their disco :prisonerpepe:) , Love Love Love, Knocking Door, Love is Around, Los Angeles and Blood Moon :music-raccoon:

BROOOOOOOOOOOO IF YOU NEED RECOMENDATIONS FOR CRAVITY I'D BE OF GREAT HELP, BEYBLADE TOO!

• OMG NEW WAVE IS A NO SKIP ALBUM!!!!!! LIKE EVERY SONG IS SOO GOOD OMG

I lovee them all like really all of them! but I think my favorite is Party Rock or Adrenaline or Bad Habits or My Turn :holding-back-tears:

I am really really close to stanning them, I just need to know who's who now :pepe-narrow-eyes:

I think Seongmin is my bias like he's so cute omg :holding-back-tears:

BEYBLADE hehe :red-heart:

• WE HAVE SPREAD THE MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twerkingpepe::twerkingpepe::twerkingpepe::twerkingpepe:

If you like bad habits and my turn I suggest the album both are in!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!