Velvet's Library: Exo's Lotto

• I don’t know if I have a death wish or something; A full album, a repackage, 13 songs. Yikes, welp I got this hopefully!

Exo is my new favourite group. Despite debuting 10 years ago, I’ve only become a fan of them this year. This happens: I take a group for granted, as in I’m like “yup that’s a group with good title tracks and they’ll be here forever so I can take my time getting into them,” without ever looking at their b-sides whatsoever. I’ve had a few victims of this (Lovelyz, Onf), Exo is my newest one. If I continue with this review series long enough, then I know I’m going to review every Exo album there is, and I’ve picked a great repackage to start our journey.

Exo is such a brilliant group. I’ve never seen idols display so much artistry in their albums; I think they’re the first K-pop act who I’ve noticed their growth from their debut album to their most recent EP. They’re the only group who’s lore kinda makes sense to me as well. Their team has much dedication for continuing with their original concept (until SM messed it up with Kwangya, or maybe I’m not so up to date with the lore lol).

I only dislike one track on Lotto. That’s impressive for an album with 13 tracks. Ex’act is a no skip album in itself. I’m someone who eats up electronic and dance, so it really is no surprise that I enjoy it a lot. The repackage adds more depth to the overall release; I think my favourite repackaged song will surprise you guys. Though I did mention dance, Lotto isn’t much of a dance album, however the use of electronic elements is a testament to 2nd gen electronic K-pop and Exo definitely puts their own twists on what a K-pop song can mean (they’ve been doing that since 2012!). I hope you guys enjoy this review.

I want to say thank you to Exo-Ls who commented on my Suho review btw. I didn’t think my series would be appreciated by many until you guys replied. So you all have my thanks <<3

Tracklist:

Lotto (single)

Lucky One (single)

Monster (single)

Artificial Love

Can’t Bring Me Down

Cloud 9

Heaven

She’s Dreaming

White Noise

One and Only

They Never Know

Stronger

Monster - LDN Noise Creeper Bass remix

A3fJ-sRxuR2z2-iUUAu4rksNHqGnlbwWpNUGfgNqPTthZCXxPDxf2O8V_9FDQGlZCsYuz6RxhWtoIOlv3XrX0v-tXKExTSXtfzVhK-LiLOyfrhYmKNQVH9jrFQSsL6KEoIxjG7JtDMOkLCUDYy-NpR79RrwtYnFCjCcmU98GH0YQDIaQz2d3Q9Mdcg

Lotto

Written by: Kim Min Ji, Cho Yoon Kyung, Seorim, JQ

Composition by: Chikk, Adrian McKinnon, LDN Noise

Produced by: LDN Noise

The funniest thing about Lotto is that many broadcasts found the metaphor of gambling too damning for the public so they banned the track. Korean broadcasters have some wrapped up reasons for banning songs.

I hate this song. Actually I don’t. It’s just more a dislike, a strong dislike, which isn’t hate. The autotune firstly ruins it for me; Out of every group who needs autotune, it’s not Exo. Their voices stand out on their own, they don’t need autotune to water down their skills. There’s no function for the autotune to be there as well. Autotune was originally used to replicate a vocoder (the intro of Let’s Groove uses one), but many musicians misunderstood its meaning. Lotto is one of them. I suggest the autotune is there to make the members sound cool, whilst doing the exact opposite. The production itself is alright, just a hip-hop influenced rhythm with the use of strings here and there. The percussion adopts a trap beat. Nothing wrong with those aspects, I just think it doesn’t make for a strong song to promote. The chorus doesn’t sound like a chorus, more like the pro-chorus building up to something bigger. But nothing bigger happens, there is no climax in Lotto. The verses are nothing to write about. If there’s anything good, it’s that having no rap verse does make the single stand out. However, being a hip-hop track, having a rap verse would’ve made the song take a more route but may be stronger in writing in my opinion. I’m happy Lotto is out of the way, time for positivity!

Hooks: 6

Production: 7

Longevity: 6

Bias: 10

Total: 7.25

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Lucky One

Written by: LDN Noise, Adrian McKinnon, Andrew Choi, Jang Yeo Jin, Choi Jin-seon, JQ, Seorim

Lyricism by: Choi Jin-seon, Jang Yeo Jin, Seorim, JQ

Arrangement by: LDN Noise

Composition by: Adrian McKinnon, Andrew Choi, LDN Noise

Produced by: Lee Soo Man (get ready to see a lot of his name on here lol)

The Genius annotations describes Lucky One as an “RnB dance track with a tinge of disco-pop.” I disagree, I’m with Youtuber kpop stuffs who described the track as “Disco House.” It’s a way more fitting word.

Lucky One is a banger of a song. The production is immaculate; The thumping drums, the guitar that kicks in during the first verse, the electronic rhythm that flows throughout the duration of the track, they all work so well together. There are the right amount of elements arranged in Lucky One, there’s no annoying bell that clunks the song, but there’s also no minimalism. The track’s production is detailed. Yeah that's the word. The writing of the single is stellar as well. Kyungsoo’s opening line is not only well-delivered, but the verses as a whole are written with thought. K-pop songs tend to be wordy due to Korean being a wordy language, but Lucky One negotiates with lyricism and writing, and creates a balance between the two. The song took me by surprise when I first listened to it. I was expecting a high note but I’m happy that there is none since it may’ve made the track cluttered by the final chorus. I’m also pleased there’s an outro with just instrumental, I think it goes to show how dance-worthy Lucky One is.

Hooks: 10

Production: 9

Longevity: 10

Total: 9.75

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Monster

Written by: Chikk, LDN Noise, KENZIE (KOR), Deepflow

Lyricism by: Deepflow, KENZIE (KOR)

Arrangement by: Chikk, LDN Noise, KENZIE (KOR)

Composition by: KENZIE (KOR), LDN Noise, Chikk

Produced by: Lee Soo Man

Monster is like Lucky One, both songs are written to balance language and song-writing. The verses are stellar, the lycrism flow from “she got me going crazy” to “my goddess.” The second verse is also nice, I like Lay’s delivery on his lines. The verses are meaningless compared to the chorus though. The chorus is just, mwah! Usually in pop songs, good writing is thrown away to create simple but addictive choruses. Here though, I’ve never heard a chorus so catchy yet jammed packed with detail in my life. The production is amazing. LDN Noise has made a video explaining the intricacies of their composition and it made me hear sound I didn’t hear in the arrangement, such as the piano chords during the chorus (it’s more noticeable in the outro), the bells, the beats that make up the portion of the percussion. The rhythm of the synths adds so much darkness but sensuality to Monster; The track is so passionate that’s shown through Exo’s delivery. I don’t know if any other K-pop act can pull off the high notes and rap verse, this is Exo’s song. I used to dismiss Chanyeol and Sehun as rappers, I surely don’t now.

Hooks: 9

Total: 9.5

Artificial Love

Written by: MZMC, Tay Jasper, Adrian McKinnon, Timothy “Bos” Bullock, Ji Ye Won, Seorim, JQ

Lyricism by: Ji Ye Won, Seorim, JQ

Arrangement by: Timothy “Bos” Bullock

Composition by: MZMC, Tay Jasper, Adrian McKinnon, Timothy “Bos” Bullock

Artificial Love was originally pitched for NCT, which yeah I can see that, this has NCT written all over it. But, I think this bside suits Exo more. Artificial Love is very much an outlier in Exo’s discography; You don’t associate a vogue-like club sound with Exo. But as I’ve stated, I love dance tracks, so this is right up my alley. The refrain is probably my favourite part of the song, it’s used to build up the tension during the most minimalist parts. The lyrical rap verses are also amazing, especially the tag team portion at the second verse. The chorus is just so simple yet so effective, and the members give it their all on Artificial Love. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are made for this type of shit. The production is brilliant as well. It’s such a stimulating beat, with the rhythm of the bass synth(?) is addictive and draws me in more than I would’ve thought. Though I don’t have much to write about, Artificial Love is one of my favourite songs of the album, and in Exo’s discography, and I wish the group had or will produce more club-heavy tracks like this.

Hooks: 10

Production: 10

Total: 10

Can’t Bring Me Down

Written by: Kim Young Hoo

Arrangement and production by: Droyd

This track starts off strong. The hip hop influences work well for the verses and Exo’s vocals work well with it. The rap verses are also to build towards the chorus, but the chorus itself just sucks. Isn’t the chorus supposed to have the majority of the energy? Like, there’s no adoption of the anti drop, the chorus just loses its energy. The writing during the chorus doesn’t help the segment either. The melody would’ve suited the pre chorus more than the actual chorus. Unfortunately, after the first chorus, Can’t Bring Me Down never recovers the energy the start of the track had. I like the production, anything with the use of synth has me beaming, but I wish there was more to the arrangement of the song. The song is alright, I can fuck with it. The chorus is just disappointing, but I have a feeling it’ll grow on me.

Hooks: 7

Production: 8

Longevity: 7

Total: 8

• Cloud 9

Written by: Ryan S. Jhun, DEEZ, Dem Jointz, Ericka J. Coulter, Misfit

Lyricism by: Misfit

Arrangement and Composition by: Ryan S. Jhun, Ericka J. Coulter, DEEZ , Dem Jointz

I know Cloud 9 isn’t many people’s favourites on Lotto, but I love it. Sure, it did take me a bit to warm up to the track, but now that I have… it’s amazing. I’m not sure where to start with my love letter. The start is surely distorting, especially to first time listeners. Then you get these soothing vocals courtesy of D.O, with jazzy piano chords, but when the drums kick in it’s clear that Cloud 9 is an RnB track. The pre-chorus is heightening, one of the best parts of the songs with the verses, thank god there’s three verses and pre-choruses, not two. The refrain is refreshing to hear, it illustrates that Cloud 9 is a vibe song, if that makes sense; I can vibe to it. The actual chorus is okay, pretty jarring to people listening for the first time actually, but it fits. There isn’t much to the production, nice piano, nice drums, actually good drums they’re my favourite part, the strings add the distorting effect that I talked about in the intro. This paragraph literally makes no justification to my love for Cloud 9 but I still love it. It may be jarring, but I still love it. Jongdae and Baekhyun do an amazing job on this track, Jongin as well. Yixing too, despite the lack of lines he gets.

Hooks: 8

Longevity: 9

Total: 9

Heaven

Written by: Tesung Kim, Clarence Coffee Jr., The Stereotypes, Min Yeon Jae, CHANYEOL

Lycrisim by: Min Yeon Jae, CHANYEOL

Arrangement and Composition by: Tesung Kim, Clarence Coffee Jr., The Stereotypes

Never would I’ve thought The Stereotypes would work on this.

Heaven puts Exo’s vocals on display, and this song is honestly a testament to how hard they can carry a song. The production is nothing special, the piano’s rhythm is nice and punchy, the drums are great (I love drums), there’s an awesome keyboard in the chorus as well, I would love to hear more keyboard in K-pop songs. I also like the choice of the synthesiser in the bridge. But where this track shines is in its writing. I usually find songs that start with the chorus to be a little uncreative, but since the chorus is a banger, I’ll allow it. Talking about the chorus, I love it! Oh my god it’s great! No words describe it! The rap verses are good, Chanyeol and Sehun do great, but the spotlight on vocals is well-deserved. The bridge is written well too. In conclusion, the chorus is Heaven. (lol)

Production: 8

Longevity: 8

Total: 8.75

She’s Dreaming

Written by: CHEN

Arrangement by: Jay Kim (KOR)

Composition by: Jay Kim (KOR), Devine Kei

Produced by: Jay Kim

I remember not really understanding She’s Dreaming when I first heard it. I think my first thoughts were “oh, a ballad, with a trap beat, how clever.” If I remember correctly though, the chorus kept repeating in my head and I was curious about the lyrics so I watched a lyrics video of She’s Dreaming. Holy fuck are they sad. I’m not fluent in korean, I don’t usually bring up lyrics of a song since I don’t know the language, but this track is a special case. K-pop songs don’t touch my heart when I read words on a screen for four minutes, but this one did. Do you ever feel empty after reading emotionally draining lyrics? That’s what I felt after my first reading of She’s Dreaming. I think my thoughts on the production have softened, though I still don’t like hi-hats, but like Heaven, She’s Dreaming is more satisfying through its writing. The chorus is what stuck to me first, as I've said, but I think the verses are also written well. D.O’s voice is especially great on this song, Suho also adds some uniqueness to his lines as well. Chanyeol does a good job with the rap verse, and the rap verse is good. However, the song could go without it if it wanted to. So yeah, I grew to love She’s Dreaming. If you haven’t read the lyrics, I implore you to do so.

White Noise

Written by: Chikk, Adrian McKinnon, LDN Noise, Seo Ji Eum

Lyricism by: Seo Ji Eum

Arrangement by: LDN Noise

Composition by: Chikk,Adrian Mckinnon, LDN Noise

White Noise is the most unique song out of Lotto, though I may not have much thoughts on the song at large. I think this mid-tempo track is definitely a standout on the repackage, just because I don’t hear much K-pop like this. The writing for the chorus is simple this time, though still catchy, and I like how the verses flow. I think the verses are the most river-like on all the album if that makes sense. Exo’s vocals work really well here, especially Baekhyun and Yixing. I also really enjoy Chen’s head voice on this track. I was also surprised by the rap verse, not because it showed up, but because of how well the verse actually fits. It’s punchy but flows well. The production, however, is the best part of White Noise. The electronic rhythm and beats are just right up my alley, and those keyboard chords that hit in the choruses, oh my god what a great addition. I don’t have much to write, but I do love this song just because it is unique.

Production: 10

Total: 9.75

One and Only

Written by: Otha “Vakseen” Davis III, Carl ‘Chip’ Days Jr., Joeseph “Joe Millionaire” Foster, Park Sung Hee

Lyricism by: Park Sung Hee

Arrangement by: Joeseph “Joe Millionaire” Foster

Composition by: Otha “Vakseen” Davis III, Carl ‘Chip’ Days Jr., Joeseph “Joe Millionaire” Foster

The airhorn at the start makes me laugh ngl.

I enjoy this more than I should. There’s something about this RnB song I like; I think the production is euphoric, like I’m ascending through the clouds. I like how the percussion keeps me on my toes, but the piano makes the track peaceful itself. Just like many tracks on this album though, One and Only exceeds in the song-writing department. The verses are nicely written, they build up the tension for the choruses to drop in this really euphoric way. The choruses themselves just work so well with the electronic rhythm. They’re addictive as well. The rapping is definitely a stand out, Chanyeol does amazing work on the lines. The best part though is the outro. Baekhyun’s voice just suits One and Only so much. The outro is worth the three minutes I have to listen to, though the three minutes is still great.

They Never Know

Written by: MZMC, Otha “Vakseen” Davis III, Leven Kali, Tay Jasper, Adrian McKinnon, Digi, De-Capo Music Group, Cho Yoon Kyung

Lyricism by: Cho Yoon Kyung

Arrangement by: Digi, MZMC, De-Capo Music Group

Composition by: MZMC, Otha “Vakseen” Davis III, Leven Kali, Tay Jasper, Adrian McKinnon, Digi, De-Capo Music Group

The first minute is great. Though minimal, the chords really build up to something with the slow drums. The writing creates tension as well, I think the pre-chorus here really fits the tension. Then the drop happens. I love when the drums are the focus in any piece of music, so hearing the drums do a one-eighty and play with the synthesiser adding to it is amazing in my ears. The rap verse builds towards something with more energy, but then the motivation of They Never Know is lost, and the track never really recovers. You’d think with how many writers are on this track, there would be more detailed lines to maintain the energy of the first minute, but no. I wish this song was more progressive, building energy and motivation and accelerating like a car. For what it is, it’s good, fine, I just wish They Never Know did more with itself. I like the distorting placement of “Baby tell me where the line is.”

Hooks: 8

Production: 7

Longevity: 8

Total: 8.25

Stronger

Written by: Lee Ju Hyung, Gustav Karlström, Andreas Öberg, Jeong Joo Hee, Shin Agnes

Lyricism by: Shin Agnes, Jeong Joo Hee

Arrangement by: Gustav Karlström, Andreas Öberg

Composition by: Lee Ju Hyung, Gustav Karlström, Andreas Öberg

Stronger reminds me personally of Christmas time, since I always love to play jazz through the season.

The only criticism I have is that the bridge can be written better. Other than that, I love this track. The use of the jazzy piano is just perfect. The harmonies of the backing vocalists add so much as well. It makes this song a calming one to listen to when I need something to cheer me up. The vocalists on Stronger are amazing; The stand out is Suho for me, he brings something unique with his tone colour. The writing is stellar as well. The chorus stands out, and the verses have this soothing ambience to them too. I don’t have much to say about Stronger, just know I love it a lot.

Longevity: 9

Total: 9.25

Monster (LDN Noise Creeper Bass Remix)

This’ll get a mini review, since it’s a remix.

I think this remix is hella under-appreciated. I don’t like the slowed effects on their voices, it makes the delivery drag, but my god other than that this is great. I know people can be over club remixes of their favourite K-pop songs, and I kinda am too, so Monster really is unique to me. How the track builds up when the chorus plays. And then the drop! God I love it! The song ends abruptly, which I don’t like, but it’s already four minutes so I can excuse it. In summary, if the LDN Noise remix of Monster was a person, I’d marry it.

Total: 9.1/10

Credit to TheBiasList for rating system.

• Hi newbie L! I didnt know you were so new in our ranks. I didn't read the track by track review but Lotto was the album that made me take the final step into accepting EXO as the other k-pop group that really made me stan them without a second thought, and it has been the greatest decision I made after deciding checking Kpop out and falling for SNSD (my other ults). I agree with you, Lotto takes Ex'Act (an already excellent album) to a new level, the vocal line songs are simply some of my favorites.

• Lotto is one of my top songs in Exo’s disco and Heaven is the only song I don’t like in the entire Exo’s disco. Other than Heaven, I absolutely love Exact. It’s one of the most under appreciated album in the fandom. Thanks for the review. It was an interesting read and I agree with you on most of it especially Lucky one, monster, Artificial Love, White noise and Cloud 9. I’m glad you like it. O and I got to say the Monster remix is my fav and the only remix I love in their disco. :send-love-bunny:

• Hi newbie L! I didnt know you were so new in our ranks. I didn't read the track by track review but Lotto was the album that made me take the final step into accepting EXO as the other k-pop group that really made me stan them without a second thought, and it has been the greatest decision I made after deciding checking Kpop out and falling for SNSD (my other ults). I agree with you, Lotto takes Ex'Act (an already excellent album) to a new level, the vocal line songs are simply some of my favorites.

Agreed! Ex'act was the album that made me stay with Exo. The other albums I had to grow into, but Ex'act/Lotto I just got instantly. And the vocals go off! :yesr:

Lotto is one of my top songs in Exo’s disco and Heaven is the only song I don’t like in the entire Exo’s disco. Other than Heaven, I absolutely love Exact. It’s one of the most under appreciated album in the fandom. Thanks for the review. It was an interesting read and I agree with you on most of it especially Lucky one, monster, Artificial Love, White noise and Cloud 9. I’m glad you like it. O and I got to say the Monster remix is my fav and the only remix I love in their disco. :send-love-bunny:

The Monster remix needs more love so I'm happy to find another remix enthusiast here :pepelove2: I can understand why people don't like Heaven, it can get repetitive, but for me I just grew to like it.

Thanks both for replying <<3

• Agreed! Ex'act was the album that made me stay with Exo. The other albums I had to grow into, but Ex'act/Lotto I just got instantly. And the vocals go off! :yesr:

The Monster remix needs more love so I'm happy to find another remix enthusiast here :pepelove2: I can understand why people don't like Heaven, it can get repetitive, but for me I just grew to like it.

Thanks both for replying <<3

The album is full of gems. I would have liked that the repackage would have contained the instrumentals of Lucky One and Monster (both included in Ex'Act) but maybe they need it to keep something in the album to tell them apart. The Monster remix is amazing.

• The album is full of gems. I would have liked that the repackage would have contained the instrumentals of Lucky One and Monster (both included in Ex'Act) but maybe they need it to keep something in the album to tell them apart. The Monster remix is amazing.

I forgot the instrumentals are in Ex'act. Imo they should've included the instrumental of lotto

• This is so detailed and good yessss :pepelove1:

this is very interesting ratings. Honestly my opinion on albums always change lolll, but i love The vibes of exact idk it’s like futuristic and fresh in a way and I’ve always loved that idk

My personal favorites are she’s dreaming, artificial love, one and only and they never know

And it’s nice to see some Lucky one appreciation 😫

YES DESERVED

0E6E562F-A31D-4B25-B1A4-44EDD4C619E4.jpeg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!