Velvet’s Library: Suho’s Grey Suit

• 7/8/22

Grey Suit is Suho’s (Kim Junmyeon) second solo (mini) album and his first album after military duty. It was released on the 4th of April, 2022, with a music video accompanying the title track Grey Suit, and later on releasing a music video for Hurdle. His debut album Self Portrait, though calming as it is, is not a release to be excited to listen to. Grey Suit is. This sophomore record is filled to the brim with emotionally passionate songs. From the energising Morning Star to the comforter that is Bear Hug, all the songs are crafted with top tier lyricism and production choices. Suho’s performance on the record is also one of his best; He can show off his range and sentiments that we usually don’t see from him in Exo’s discography. The complexity of the emotions shown in the songs is what makes Grey Suit one of the best albums released this year, and one of the best solo projects from Exo.

Tracklist -

Morning Star

Grey Suit (single)

Hurdle (single)

Decanting

Bear Hug

Moment

1xDK7yYJYbJzlhHj3U90pF-LmpUOyXM5kyLjsxEthtjPm7gWtq_pzmapv8yr27KSZF8xXFevnMbk_mZGVlVyh5EEGGxQsunwR7fLrJpRyF2FhuQx45e_m_mV1COUUXtpsTBw3-vVUVpY6UTJsx4EaS4

Morning Star

Written by: Oiaisle, NODAY, Park Moon Chi, Gila, SUHO  

Lycrism by: NODAY, Gila, Park Moon Chi, Oiaisle, SUHO

Composition by: Park Moon Chi, Oiaisle, Gila, NODAY

The opening is soft, but don’t let the first line fool you; Morning Star is meant to energise you once the chorus starts. Despite its soft use of guitars, the song opens up once the drums and strings enter, making the nature of this song buoyant yet not overdoing its energy. Morning Star reminds me of Luke Hemming’s Starting Line, a more hopeful version of it. The extreme positivity of Morning Star is a perfect opener to the album, and is an amazing example of not only Suho’s soft vocals, but how an opener should be.

Hook: 9/10

Production: 9/10

Longevity: 10/10

Bias 9/10

Total: 9.25

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Grey Suit

Written by: Cho Yoon Kyung, SUHO, Park Seul Gi, Oi

Lycrism by: Cho Yoon kyung, SUHO

Composition by: Park Seul Gi, Oi

Let’s get the one thing I don’t like about this song out of the way: The first verse is boring. I find the beginning doesn’t hold any energy. However, the chorus, and the rest of the song carries the energy and emotions. Suho’s performance in the second verse is especially noteworthy as he showcases the power he can hold in the notes. The climax of the bridge is also stellar as the rock-inspired ballad’s sentiment is met with clashing drums and a beautiful orchestra arrangement. The song ends very abruptly, which I find puzzling, but overall Grey Suit showcases what Suho can do if given the right notes.

Hooks : 8/10

Longevity: 8/10

Bias: 9/10

Total: 8.5

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hurdle

Written by: Oiaisle, Gila, NODAY, Park Moon Chi, SUHO

Lycrism by: Gila, NODAY, Oiaisle, Park Moon Chi, SUHO

Composition by: Oiaisle, Park Moon Chi, Gila, NODAY

I love feeling bass when listening to songs; Not hearing it, feeling it. So, hearing the bass rhythm first thing off is already a great sign. The chorus of Hurdle is one of the most addictive choruses written this year, it’s an earworm for anyone who listens to the song for the first time. I find pre-choruses and verses to be nicely written as well; They smoothly transition from one part of Hurdle to another part. The nu disco song is at its best when the bridge goes into a rock breakdown. If anything, I wish the bridge was longer, but I’m still happy that the song is the way it is. It shows Suho is not afraid of experimenting with his releases; Having this planted in the middle of the setlist was shocking, but ultimately a good idea. If only this song was promoted more…

Also, I love the music video. One of the best this year.

Hooks: 9/10

Production: 10/10

Total: 9.5

Decanting

Written by: Oiaisle, BYMORE, JOHN OFA Rhee, SUHO

Lycrism by: BYMORE, John OFA Rhee, Oiaisle, SUHO

Composition by: Oiaisle, John OFA Rhee, BYMORE

This jazz-rock song is lustful, the production is swayful; I enjoy the acoustic guitar throughout the song. The electric guitar in the bridge brings out the seductiveness in the record, and is one of the highlights of Decanting. The production all-round is great, but they know how to let Suho shine on the track. His head voice is delicate yet elegant on this song, he knows when to control the power in his vocals. The lycrism is simple, but the simpleness lets Suho exceed; Less is more. All in all, this slow song is alluring, and adds a more soft colour to the album Grey Suit.

Hooks: 8/10

Longevity: 9/10

Total: 8.75

Bear Hug

Written By: Oiaisle, BYMORE, John OFA Rhee, SUHO

Lycrism by: BYMORE, John OFA Rhee, Oiaisle, SUHO

Composition by: Oiaisle, John OFA Rhee, BYMORE

Bear Hug is my favourite track off Grey Suit, for good reason as well. The start of the is soft, comforting, minimalistic; There is only the piano backing Junmyeon’s vocals. Then the song builds to a power ballad of a song. Bear Hug is still comforting, despite its volume. The electric guitar playing the rhythm adds to the texture of the track, the strings as well. But, as with Decanting, the production doesn’t get into the amazing performance Suho puts on. He shows off his colour in the best way possible, and it’s clear that he is capable of pulling off a long note as good as any main vocalist in the industry. Although the song ends a chorus short, I’m not mad; I find that after the non-harming monster of a bridge, ending softly again is the best way to end this song. Overall, I love this song. Bonus points for the ¾ time measure.

Hook: 9/10

Production: 10/10

Total: 9.5

Moment

Written By: Andy Love, Moon Seo Lee, SUHO, Alyssa Ayaka Ichinose

Lycrism by: Moon Seo Lee, SUHO

Composition by: Andy Love, Alyssa Ayaka Ichinose

I don’t have much to say about Moment. This song makes me impatient. The drums come in too late; I wish they came in the first chorus. The verses themselves aren’t the strongest we’ve seen from Suho as well. But the chorus is the most solid aspect of Moment. Moment as a person has self esteem issues; It’s trying to be positive but there are minor notes hidden in it which make its confidence crack. That’s the best part of the song, when Suho hits those weird lines. For an ending, the record ends things well. But, it sounds distoringly assuring. I think that’s what I like about it though.

Hooks: 8/10

Production: 8/10

Longevity: 8/10

Total: 8.25

Total rating: 8.9/10

Next week: Brave girlsSummer Queens

Credit to TheBiasList for the rating system

• I never thought of Chen doing rock but now that you mentioned it I do see it, he definitely has the voice for it :lover1:

• External Content youtu.be

HOLY FUCK,!!!! THIS IS FUCKING AMAZING!!!!! IM FUCKING ROCKING OUT :pepemusic:

:pepemusic: CHEN ROCK ALBUM WHEN????

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!