Velvet's Library: BDC's The Intersection: Belief

• Not many people have heard of BDC. I don’t blame them, their company is shit at promoting them. However, if their own label can’t do it, I can at least put in my own thoughts to promote them to a tiny audience who are (at most) five people.

I’m a huge fan of BDC, but mainly for their potential. Don’t get me wrong, they have amazing singles, it’s just their B-sides could be tweaked a bit if their producers actually cared to. I chose an album where I actually enjoy most of the tracks, but know this is the best the boy group gets in my opinion. They also have their fair share of ballads, so beware if venturing into the group.

I consider this the group’s debut. I know Remember Me exists, but do you really want to remember that? Or do you want to remember that their debut is actually the banger named Shoot The Moon? Yeah, I thought so.

What I love about The Intersection is that the tracks feel out of this world. Well it should, that’s their concept, but even without knowing the concept I can feel the influence of space in there. Genre-wise, the EP jumps from place to place: RnB, electronic, future bass, ballad, power pop. For many people, this can be abrupt, but it works for me; The album flows pretty well. They have better singles than the title track highlighted, but overall this is their best EP. Full length album when?

Tracklist:

Dump

Shoot The Moon (single)

Drowning

I’ll Be A Star

Go Get Her (feat. Lee Eunsang)

uNobufysVhsqFjs4y4EUwfomFOqasoUwbBhuXoTfTMMi8gD_GZp7U_sWmtaB-FjD3UHL2HyuEL8OQ1Ft8J3M3dPQKLzvFHFAF6k8QLZzW4T2C-wsoL0OHdJbpnU6f74IOFAQDtQZZRT8G2no5IvaGzAyzZVqlIHZwZJMa71hFlDO98EglSZUyDrqNBy1hw

Dump

Written and Arrangement by: nomad, John Napoleon, Elapsed

The bass synth is sooooooooo good in the intro. Especially in the introduction, it sets the whole mood and atmosphere for this banger of an opener. The beat’s nice, moody, seductive. The songwriting is some of the best, I believe, that I’ve ever reviewed, and it’s obvious during the verse. It starts off quiet, low, but with the progress of the segment it builds up to create the tension for the chorus. The hook is absolutely addictive, an earworm. There isn’t much to the production in the verses, the rhythm and beat is just going off. Again, it’s obvious that the lyricism is carrying the entire song. Once the chorus hits the production overrides. The piano chords add this extra dimension to the track, having this dreamy effect on it. If there’s anything I don’t like about Dump, it’s the rap verse. It just loses energy, but it’s recovered through the second verse when the beat picks up again. The songwriting in the chorus is amazing, aiding the already dreamy arrangement to have this atmospheric influence. The bridge builds up so much tension for the absolute banger of the outro. I haven’t even talked about the structure of Dump yet! The arrangement of Dump is spectacular, it subverts our own expectations and draws us dead ends while actually running off in a different direction. It’s unpredictable and I love that. I think it’s the most effective during the outro, where the chorus does come back for a final run, and the adlibs go off whilst the production does the work for the final minute. This is not a song to promote, I understand that, but Dump really shows how unexpected K-pop can be, and I love it because of that.

Hooks: 9

Production: 9

Longevity: 9

Bias: 9

Total: 9

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Shoot The Moon

Written by: Ayna, Ouow

Arrangement by: Ouow

Composed by: Ayna, Ouow

Shoot The Moon starts off as a kinda heavy with the thumping beat, guitar rhythm and the effect of the percussion. It seems like it won’t go anywhere with how slow and sticky the songwriting is. There is build up during the second part, with an electronic effect fading into the composition, and beat building up with its snare, but we really don’t see the anti drop coming. BDC’s rapping is definitely not the best, however their vocals in this single is absolutely fantastic, and that’s shown in the pre chorus and chorus. The bass is so good during the pre chorus, with the beat keeping constant and the lyricism hitting new heights in the song. It’s catchy, it’s addictive, it’s simple, yet sweet. I like how the beat and bass are there to assist with the song writing, not like how in many songs I’ve reviewed it seems to be the opposite. Not that I don’t appreciate production, it’s just nice to have something different. If the drop didn’t surprise you, the entry of the clashing drums will, with electronic synths to add a space-like atmosphere into the mix. But we’re not done. You thought the pre chorus was flabbergasting? Say hello to the chorus! The electronic rhythm is the best part of Shoot The Moon; it disrupts the calming mood in the verses, and the dance mood in the pre chorus to deliver something we don't usually hear in K-pop. If anything, it’s another anti drop, but better because all the energy is released. The hook reenters to influence the single into a dreamy-esque vibe, and we now get to understand why BDC is so underrated. The beats clash again, as the synths reenter, then we are brought back to Earth in the form of the second verse. The bridge is great, but obviously not the best segment despite its tension. If you are delivering singles that are surprising in the modern landscape, shouldn’t you have recognition for that? This song is a rollercoaster, and I love that. Shoot The Moon is absolutely timeless, and it’s unfortunate that nobody really knows the song.

Production: 10

Total: 9.25

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Drowning

Written by: Kohway, EachONE

Arrangement by: EachONE

Composition by: Kohway, EachONE

This seductive and charming song is how to do future bass in K-pop. It’s slow, but not too slow. It keeps the pace with little bits that I’ll get into. But for the verses, it’s slow and moody. The synths carry the entire track, the glitchy rhythm adds this nice dreamy vibe, like it’s calculated or something. But when entering the verse, the production is flowy. The beat drags, which in this situation is nice: It makes our attention get paid on the song-writing and synths. The effects and percussion make this song flow like the river, as the writing is romantic and slow and melodic. It’s not wordy, which is a breath of fresh air, because usually in K-pop every single line has a lot of syllables. The pre-chorus is short and sweet, the lyricism simple. The piano kicks in with an emotional attitude, before the chorus hits again. The beat clashes and is more detailed, while the synths aid the song writing. I’ll be honest, the lyricism in the chorus isn’t the best, it’s unimaginative, however the second part is a step in the right direction. The beat then hypes up during the second segment, as we are hit with a quick hint of what a dance version of this song would be. That is the most disappointing part of Drowning, how well this would be as a dance song. We are shown again in the rap verse, where the beat fills up with an electronic rhythm hyping the track up. But then we let down again. It’s disappointing, and if those fast beats didn’t enter, I would take the song as it is. But I’m not letting Drowning get away with the teasing. It’s a good song, but doesn’t live up to its potential. Ending on a flattering note: BDC’s performance is absolutely impressive.

Hooks: 8

Production: 8

Longevity: 8

Total: 8.25

• I’ll Be a Star

Written by: Anya, Ouow

Arrangement by: Ouow

Composition by: Anya Ouow

I haven’t started writing but I know I’m not going to have much thoughts on this ballad. Apologies in advance.

This is your standard ballad, and easily the weakest track on the album. The guitar is nice, playing the rhythm, and the songwriting is peaceful and calm and emotional. The piano is understated and I like that, usually we focus on pianos but this one subverts our expectations. The percussion during the verses isn’t really special, however I do like drums in ballads, so I’m happy they appeared in the chorus. The lyricism in the chorus isn’t anything special, actually there isn’t anything special about the ballad. It’s a track talking about how much they’ll support a person, which is nice I guess. I don’t know this isn’t for me, it’s hard to win me over with a ballad anyways.

Hooks: 7

Production: 7

Longevity: 6

Total: 7.5

External Content www.youtube.com

Go Get Her (feat. Lee Eunsang)

Written by: LEE EUNSANG, YUN JUNGHWAN, HONG SEONGJUN, KIM SIHUN, Boombastic, Ouow

Arrangement by: Boombastic, Ouow

Composition by: LEE EUNSANG, YUN JUNGHWAN, HONG SEONGJUN, KM SIHUN, Boombastic, Ouow

For context, this is a track that BDC and Lee Eunsang both performed on Produce Season 4. The song’s too good to be an audition.

The guitar has this raunchy vibe behind it, a perfect way to start the song. It’s dark and moody, then we are hit with the beat, and the chords brighten up the mood. It’s charismatic, yet still holds this happy innocent vibe, like the vocalists singing are trying to be cool but are actually really cute? Does that make sense? I like it, love it actually. The lyricism is great in this song, especially in the verses, it just flows really along with the power pop production. The pre chorus is sweet, the beat slows, the vocals take over the energy, the electronic chords explore the dreamy side of this track. Then we are hit with the chorus. Oh my god the chorus is great! Strings fly in from like nowhere, the beat thumps along and aids the guitars and piano chords. There’s this sense of adrenaline when listening to this short segment, it’s this type of lovestruckness which I love to hear in songs. And the writing profits off the production so well. It’s catchy, yet detailed. The rapping in the second verse is pretty good, but it definitely gets overshadowed by the tension built by the pre chorus and the chorus following. The bridge is romantic, the electronic chords building up this sweet tension as the beat kicks in to release such a great high note. Then we are again hit with the chorus. The outro affirms our adrenaline, as we are left with an amazing closer. What an amazing song. If anything, Go Get Her should’ve been promoted, and it’s a shame that it wasn’t.

Production: 8

Total: 8.75

Total: 8.6

Credit to TheBiasList for the rating system

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!