Velvet's Library: Le Sserafim's FEARLESS

• Debuts are not an indicator of a group’s future sound: What usually happens is that the group changes sound after a year or two. Of course there are exceptions (many 2nd gen and early 3rd gen groups kept their debut sound), but especially in the 4th generation, producers revolve through a circular, revolving door. There’s always a flow of new producers coming in and out, which can be refreshing, but also messy and it doesn’t build up a sound.

So, colour me disappointed to know this is Le Sserafim’s debut sound. It’s so..cool? Yeah, cool! Many 4th groups are trying to release this confident ‘I’m a bad bitch’ image with commercial success, but Le Sserafim is the one with most success. Of course, it’s because Hybe has money and power, but the members and the concept sells ‘it girl’ energy. Their debut album Fearless is the bulk of the ‘it girl’ factor though.

Fearless is full of confidence. It’s bold in more ways than one, and the power that each track brings just makes up the strongness of the debut EP. Though I wish there was one more song to flesh out the sound, but Fearless is such a strong debut album. I do have hope that they’ll continue this sound, but I will not be surprised if they wrongfully abandon it.

Tracklist:

The World Is My Oyster (intro)

Fearless (single)

Blue Flame

The Great Mermaid

Sour Grapes

iNswnSf8-9AY47JBy1uKUxlUI8nov-UEZ_aDjZWbts8ioZL-LDTnJqie5J9HCJ-LO1fpYsuBmhKo1OPelJFLwNT-0nl2Z65Sm-MoApdAa851Agf9LBk6twviXwWxdGUTVbyaWC7KuEDDzWw8YhDWqinAwB28B8Fqmygb9NkJY9NLnoSuHky2gojD9A

The World Is My Oyster

Written by: Score (13), Megatone (13), HYBE (??????)

Composed by: Megatone (13), Score (13)

Produced by: 13

Intros do not get a rating, however I do talk about them.

The missed opportunity of using this arrangement in a full-length song is obvious. This type of sound is nostalgic to me, this psychedelic dance music. I’ve been influenced by my dad, so I love anything similar to his dance music. Everything about the production works, the beats, the synths, the bass synth, the rhythm. The talking works too. But if The World Is My Oyster was an actual track on this album, it would easily be a high 8 just from the production alone. Le Sserafim can easily do this type of genre, I would love to see it in the future.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

FEARLESS

Written by: SCORE (13), Megatone (13), Supreme Boi, BLVSH, JARO, Nikolay Mohr, “hitman” Bang, Oneye, Josefin Glenmark, Emmy kasai, Kyler Niko, PAU, Destiny Rogers

I love the bass line of FEARLESS, it’s subtle but is really the foundation of this track. I also like when the beat stays constant, adds a lot of oomph you know? The pre-chorus is one of the better segments of FEARLESS, there’s so many layers and so much buildup to it. The problem about the song though is that the production and writing don’t capitalise on the energy multiple segments create. The energy immediately gets destroyed by the chorus. I know many people like anti drops, I do too, but they only work if it’s an entryway into a more energetic part of a song. A track that comes to my mind is Stay Tonight by Chungha, the anti drop contains the motivation but then it flourishes into the post-chorus. The chorus of FEARLESS doesn’t do that, it loses the motivation. There should be more layers, more oomph, like in the pre-chorus and the verses. Or have a second part of the chorus go in more depth. The writing also doesn’t help lift up the production. With the many, many writers on this track (there’s 15!), you’d think there would be more complicated areas of the lyricism? For songs with many writers, the lyricsim is usually complicated, but this single does the opposite: it’s simple, repetitive. Very repetitive with the refrain. However, there is flavour in it. It’s also because all the members of Le Sserafim (yes, even Garam) are putting all their boldness into this track, but the lyricism is very slick and confident. I’m glad this song isn’t in a high key, it would’ve become too soft. Despite me ripping into this song, I still like FEARLESS, I just wish it did more with itself.

Hooks: 8

Production: 8

Longevity: 9

Bias: 8

Total: 8.25

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Blue Flame

Written by: SCORE (13), Megatone (13), Jonna Hall, Ga Young (PNP), Kim In Hyung, danke (lalala studio), KIM CHAEWON, Ronnie Icon, Caroline Gustavsson, HUH YUNJIN

Composition by: HUH YUNJIN, Caroline Gustavsson, Ronnie Icon, KIM CHAEWON, danke (lalala studio), Kim In Hyung, Ga Young (PNP), Megatone (13) & SCORE (13)

What a funky track! I love anything with bass in it and this one isn’t an exception. The chords soften Blue Flame, but not in a bad way, it makes the song more funky actually. I like how the beat stays constant, it never goes away, it keeps Blue Flame moving. I love the guitar in the post chorus as well. The layers of the track (not that there are many) work so well together. The best part is the song-writing though. The verses start off the strong, with bold vocals. But during the pre-chorus, the vocals become more dreamy, and I love that. The lyricism is written well, and the chorus and refrain are both addictive. The anti drop (yes, I’m calling it that) works well and is expanded by the post chorus. Blue Flame is FEARLESS with my critiques basically. This was the stand out on the album when I first listened to it, and I still think it is.

Hooks: 9

Production: 9

Total: 8.75

External Content youtu.be

The Great Mermaid

Written by: SCORE (13), Megatone (13), “hitman” Bang, Cazzi Opeia, Ellen Berg, Anne Judith Wik, Ronny Svendsen, Nermin Harambašić, danke (lalala studio), Kyler Niko, PAU, Lee Hyung Seok (PNP), Jung Jin Woo

Composition by: PAU, Jung Jin Woo), Lee Hyung Seok (PNP), Kyler Niko, danke (lalala studio), Nermin Harambašić, Ronny Svendsen, Anne Judith Wik, Sunshine, “hitman” Bang, Megatone (13) & SCORE (13)

Like FEARLESS, the writing didn’t need thirteen (lol) writers. The lyricism is pretty straight forward, it flows, it works. I wouldn’t say it’s simple, but it’s definitely not complicated. I like the chorus the best out of this song. It’s not addictive, but it’s so confident and bold aided by the members Yunjin and Chaewon. The refrain is addictive though. The Great Mermaid however stands out with its production. Genius states that the bassline resembles ocean waves, and yeah I can see it; I like that little piece of trivia. The big, busting drums with the strong smooth bass just… works! The distortion in the post-chorus makes the track sound so fierce as well. I think I can hear some chords, though I can barely hear them. They add more depth, more dreamy I find. I like The Great Mermaid. Yeah, I do. This would be my favourite song off the album if it wasn’t for Blue Flame.

Production: 9

Total: 8.5

Sour Grapes

Written by: ABIR, SCORE (13), Megatone (13), danke (lalala studio), Kayofkaj, Nermin Harambašić, Kim In Hyung, Cazzi Opeia, Ellen Berg & Victoria Horn

Composition by: Sunshine, Kim In Hyung, Nermin Harambašić, Kayofkaj, ABIR, danke (lalala studio), Megatone (13), SCORE (13) & Victoria Horn

The best segment of Sour Grapes are the bossa nova parts. They are just so smooth and relaxed, whilst the rest of the track is very restricted and tight. Maybe it’s because I hate any pop song with a trap beat in it, but the percussion for the majority of the song just has too much tension when it’s meant to be a ‘vibey’ song. The strings are nice I guess? Yeah the rhythm’s nice. The writing is addictive though, especially the chorus. Definitely a great thing about Sour Grapes. I don’t have much to say honestly. I can fuck and listen to it, but I wouldn’t say it’s great. Production’s an 8 because of the bossa nova parts.

Production: 8

Longevity: 8

Total: 8

Total: 8.4

Credit to TheBiasList for the rating system

• What a funky track! I love anything with bass in it and this one isn’t an exception. The chords soften Blue Flame, but not in a bad way, it makes the song more funky actually. I like how the beat stays constant, it never goes away, it keeps Blue Flame moving. I love the guitar in the post chorus as well. The layers of the track (not that there are many) work so well together. The best part is the song-writing though. The verses start off the strong, with bold vocals. But during the pre-chorus, the vocals become more dreamy, and I love that. The lyricism is written well, and the chorus and refrain are both addictive. The anti drop (yes, I’m calling it that) works well and is expanded by the post chorus. Blue Flame is FEARLESS with my critiques basically. This was the stand out on the album when I first listened to it, and I still think it is.

I love how you're so well spoken. But I'm like "blue flame is a thot song". Like that's how my mind works,

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!