how low is the sales for 2nd gen girl group back then ?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

9k and its already their highest... for freaking EXID? :wow:

I wonder what number will KARA pull off for their anticipated comeback

• The physical album sales market used to be quite low compared to now, especially considering it was the birth of the digital age.

Popular groups with several hits like miss A, Sistar and 4minute would sell around 20k - 30k albums per comeback at best.

• I don't think Exid is good example for second generation sales even in second gen 9k was still considered low, to begin with Exid used to be a very nugu group like super nugu no one knew about them before up and down and that success didn't translate in a big fandom and usually groups who appeal to gp rarely have big fandoms and Exid was no exception so them selling only 9k on their first day isn't that surprising

• Physical sales really weren't a huge thing until like 5 years ago. Even just 4 years ago, b tier ggs weren't expected to sell more than 100k

SNSD's first release to sell over 100K on the first day was their 2022 comeback. I agree that the market is just way diff now than back then.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't think Exid is good example for second generation sales even in second gen 9k was still considered low, to begin with Exid used to be a very nugu group like super nugu no one knew about them before up and down and that success didn't translate in a big fandom and usually groups who appeal to gp rarely have big fandoms and Exid was no exception so them selling only 9k on their first day isn't that surprising

No this is wrong; the industry is different now. Wonder Girls has releases with under 10K sales for their first MONTH.

Most of Miss A's first MONTH sales are in the 10-17K range.

Kara's album Step has 6,063 for the first week sales (an album that was no 1 on the Gaon weekly chart)

2NE1 Crush has first day sales of 3,073 etc

I just wanted to put some perspective on this for people.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Edited 4 times, last by Yseki ().

• Imagine if you tell me a Starship group will hit 1 mil back then......

You would have been surprised back then if any group sold over 1 million on a release, unless you went back to the era before digital downloads and streaming lol.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• Its common knowledge it was always “low” compared to today. Due to less interional awareness, expensive shipping, less availability for fans outside Korea, the boom of the digital age etc a gg was considered very successful to reach 50k. Even ggs like T-ara, Sistar or Girls Day who were regular chart toppers and very popular with public hardly ever reached that and peaked with 20k-30k.

100k was a golden summit for ggs as only a small handful of ggs could only reach that goal and only once maybe twice if they’re lucky in their whole careers. I think only fx, Kara and 2ne1 got over 100k.

Then of course there’s SNSD who was the only gg that got over 100k every single cb. They were the only ones to get over 200k, 300k, 400k, even reached 1 million and were the outright best selling group in kpop for a little while. But they were obviously a freakish outlier and exception to the rule.

• It's not just girl groups. Sales in general during the Second Generation era were low.

As we can see in the chart below (which I created for another thread), total monthly sales for the top 100 albums in the Gaon/Circle monthly chart these days are about *10 times higher* than they were in 2011.

GaonMonthlyTotals_2022-06.png

Or, to look at it another way, Nmixx's newest release Entwurf alone will exceed the *combined sales* of the top 100 albums in a given month of early 2011.

Edited 2 times, last by wsoet ().

• Also even 5 years ago the market was very different and could be considered low too. Twice was the biggest selling gg and they were getting around 400k-500k per album. Fast forward to the last couple years and a decent number of ggs including rookies can easily match that and some can double, triple or even quadruple that

The album market has exploded on sales on the last few years. Everything is relative, low for today's standard back then was high.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!