ADOR addresses NewJeans 'Cookie' lyrics controversy | Update: Full statement translated in the OP

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com

BunniesTaglist

8d7bf3dc7b80f89403017830b42f60678d944f94.gif c0e47699a2afe155bfec8b7da0e730118e834562.gif

Edited once, last by Minazuki ().

• uhhhhh

While there is definitely fake concern for minors spouted by people who were vocal about the lyrics, was the "intention" the core of the issue in the first place? It might've been for some, but honestly, I couldn't give any shits about who were behind the lyrics or what was the intent. It's that the lyrics are the lyrics, and how they can be interpreted especially in the context of the age of the members.

• Nah but whoever wrote this really took it personal because they came for blood ;(

No really, read the entire thing and not them snippets because that's the tip of the iceberg

;(

Their fists were up :pepe-life-support:

I wish to end this winter, how much longing must fall like snow before that spring day arrives?Spring Day

160837-for-gif

• Damn, why do they keep bringing this up? Are they actually continuing to get flak about this from Korean fans? I feel like the controversy has died down, only like 20 of us on this forum and a few rando tweets on TW bring the issue up. Making another statement about this seems counterproductive, all it does is make people remember the scandal again and bring more potentially messy media attention on this, like what happens if K media picks up on this and makes this an article in mainstream news over there?

• I can see where they're coming from. The lyrics are in Korean and while they may seem inappropriate when translated to English, that doesn't mean they are in the original language. However, I do think they should be more aware of the fact that K-pop is more global and a large majority of kpop stans now speak English. I get their frustration, but at the same time, they should be more aware of NewJean's audience.

• Damn, why do they keep bringing this up? Are they actually continuing to get flak about this from Korean fans? I feel like the controversy has died down, only like 20 of us on this forum and a few rando tweets on TW bring the issue up. Making another statement about this seems counterproductive, all it does is make people remember the scandal again and bring more potentially messy media attention on this, like what happens if K media picks up on this and makes this an article in mainstream news over there?

it hit the knetz side because someone made a video about it explaining the meaning in English.

probably because the issue blew up locally after this video

External Content www.youtube.com

• I said it before, i’ll say it again: call me naive but when i first listened to this song i saw no issue with it. only when i saw reactions from other people online did i know that apparently people think cookie means sex and therefore the song is sex and the choreo is sex too lol. It’s perfectly fine for you to reach that conclusion based on your experience, but when hordes of peeps jump to accuse anyone who likes this song of being perverted and amoral creeps who endorse this pedophilic song, since their viewpoint and worldly experience is obviously gospel and the only correct take while everyone else’s is invalid, they’re also proving themselves to be very juvenile and not to be taken seriously bc they can’t even hold a discussion without name calling and insults and they’re not even interested in the discussion, they just want to be right and condescending about it.

Edited 3 times, last by Whi ().

• That's a whole essay and there's some really great points. I appreciate the details and clear explanations of their creative process.

All I gotta say is free common food from disgusting slangs please!!! this whole controversy makes me feel uncomfortable enjoying cookies (as a food) ;(

• I feel like a lot of people already made up their minds on this subject and won't chance it regardless of what they say their intentions were or weren't. The only thing left to me is hoping they are saying the true and the girls are safe in the environment they are working in, because It's the top priority here. Not regular K-pop stans' interpretation.

• Why are they saying two grow adult woman wrote this song and around the same line they said teenagers understand the world more that it seem, like discreting their ages, they got a 14 years ol there bc they decide that

Like pick a side, this teens didn't write this song how can they have control over what it said

• I can see where they're coming from. The lyrics are in Korean and while they may seem inappropriate when translated to English, that doesn't mean they are in the original language. However, I do think they should be more aware of the fact that K-pop is more global and a large majority of kpop stans now speak English. I get their frustration, but at the same time, they should be more aware of NewJean's audience.

Excelt you know, the actual English lines in the song are also weird af

• I feel like a lot of people already made up their minds on this subject and won't chance it regardless of what they say their intentions were or weren't. The only thing left to me is hoping they are saying the true and the girls are safe in the environment they are working in, because It's the top priority here. Not regular K-pop stans' interpretation.

You(not you, you but in general) are reading this and think there’s absolutely nothing sexual about this? FC5C5B57-6133-4BF6-BEC5-8D4C9CE30AAD.jpeg

Corporations will bullshit. That’s the purpose of their entire existence. I like this song. I think it’s their best. I’m not particularly invested in anything but ain’t no way an entire company wrote lyrics describing cookies and how a boy is “hungry” and “thirsty” for “dessert” and how her “cookie” would make him “lose his mind” didn’t find anything sexual in it.

And people who say they never associate asking a boy to eat your cookie to lose his mind as sexual well. I mean you’re allowed to lie. But I won’t be buying that BS. Dessert or eating something sweet as innuendo is not something the English language invented :angryr: :cryingr:

The thing we can definitely talk about is how much disproportionate hate this group is getting when sexual lyrics or young trainees is nothing new in kpop. That’s a fair and valid argument.

But absolutely corporate BS statement like this where everyone wants to go out of the way to prove “nothing was ever inappropriate ever” is just plain gaslighting to make themselves look better.

If they shut up about it would have probably gone away.

• I know you aren't talking directly to me, just used my quote to express your opinion.

But I genuinely don't have an opinion about it, because I'm neither a english native speaker, nor a korean speaker. So I read it more literal and, maybe, even innocently - depending on the point of view - than other people. It doesn't help that art's interpretation can be subjective. I just said that I hope It's the truth, because I'm aiming for their best.

• I know you aren't talking directly to me, just used my quote to express your opinion.

But I genuinely don't have an opinion about it, because I'm neither a english native speaker, nor a korean speaker. So I read it more literal and, maybe, even innocently - depending on the point of view - than other people. It doesn't help that art's interpretation can be subjective. I just said that I hope It's the truth, because I'm aiming for their best.

Dessert or sweet things having sexual connotations is not something specific to the English language. In fact I can’t think of anything more universal :angryr: :cryingr:

• oh god their pr is so bad

u never tell the audience that their interpretation is wrong :scaredy-bee:

just like how idols can get into all sorts of relationship and their audience would still interpret it as fake or pr relationships and believe they’re actually dating their bandmates in secret :pepe-flirt: :pepe-use-head:

Edited once, last by Whi ().

Didn't they buy and English song and adjusted it to Korean.

If so, their excuse is bullshit.

If not, then maybe I can see it.

• Some users here perfectly fit for description

“ those people who stir up controversy for its own sake but under the deceptive guise of protecting minors.”

• Dessert or sweet things having sexual connotations is not something specific to the English language. In fact I can’t think of anything more universal :angryr: :cryingr:

man yall be wilding bc for a “universal” innuendo it’s certainly nonexistent in my mother tongue :pepestare: like bruh i get that you’re so clever for decoding this sexual song but speaking for other peoples and cultures as if you’re an expert in every field while everyone else’s opinion is obviously incorrect compared to your correct take and the only valid voice here :pepe-just-smile:

• The fact that they tried to deflect and make the song seem innocent while also trying to say that their members are 15 (14 internationally) and aware is just trash tbh.

And on top of that, they say that both producers were aware of the meaning and meant it in an innocent way... it doesn't take a genius to know that the song is NOT about baking cookies. MAYBE they intended for it to mean that or maybe they didn't think fans would care since minors have been forced to perform sexualized songs previously but that does not make it okay.

The only part of this that I agree with is that ALL companies should be called out for sexualizing minors. It was not okay then and isn't okay now.

They need to just take the L on this one and focus on promoting Attention, Hype Boy, and Hurt.

• man yall be wilding bc for a “universal” innuendo it’s certainly nonexistent in my mother tongue :pepestare: like bruh i get that you’re so clever for decoding this sexual song but speaking for other peoples and cultures as if you’re an expert in every field while everyone else’s opinion is obviously incorrect compared to your correct take and the only valid voice here :pepe-just-smile:

Yes.

• This thread contains 68 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!