Is it body shaming to say that Tiffany and Taeyeon are too skinny?

• Which member visually stands out the most? 31

The result is only visible to the participants.

They are the skinniest in the group now. Meanwhile, Yoona, Yuri and Sooyoung obviously weigh the heaviest now which so different given that Yoona and Sooyoung used to be the skinniest.

Taeyon and Tiffany don't look that healthy to me compared to the rest of the members, I hope it's just the comeback and nothing serious.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• idk tiffany atleast looks fine to me but yeah its fine to think someone is too skinny

its just how you express it that affects how its perceived

ive been called skinny many times and i can tell when my mom says it casually and when my friends say it condescendingly

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• The dance line visually stands out the most for me.

• idk tiffany atleast looks fine to me but yeah its fine to think someone is too skinny

its just how you express it that affects how its perceived

ive been called skinny many times and i can tell when my mom says it casually and when my friends say it condescendingly

Sorry to hear that. I've also always been skinny and yeah different people express it differently.

• sooyoung and yoona look great :lover1: also tiffany looks fine not too skinny to me :dancer:

I feel like Tiffany doesn't look so skinny when you look at only her face compared to Taeyeon. IDK, the whole Korean beauty standards thing makes me worry about them.

• Sorry to hear that. I've also always been skinny and yeah different people express it differently.

dont be sorry

im extremely comfortable with my body ( have to be cause i expose skin regularly )

i think skinny is amazing, both health wise and aesthetic wise

there are limits to it of course but as long as you are actually eating properly, being skinny doesnt hurt

i know this cause ive been steadily trying to increase food intake but weight wont go up at all and i dare someone call me underfed

of course we know kpop idols arent exactly healthy so it is a legit concern

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Tiffany looks fine, Taengoo has always been very petite

For Yoona, she has intentionally been trying to gain and she looks beautiful

I think they all look great and I believe they are prioritizing their health

External Content www.youtube.com

• Most people naturally gain weight at 30 years and above and I think that's what happened to Yoona and Sooyoung because they say they always eat the most amount of food and yet before turning 30, they were always the skinniest regardless of their food intake.

• Most people naturally gain weight at 30 years and above and I think that's what happened to Yoona and Sooyoung because they say they always eat the most amount of food and yet before turning 30, they were always the skinniest regardless of their food intake.

i think we should take this discussion somewhere else cause it can get very detailed and might not be comfortable for viewers

u r m o m g a y

• Tiffany looks fine, Taengoo has always been very petite

For Yoona, she has intentionally been trying to gain and she looks beautiful

I think they all look great and I believe they are prioritizing their health

Taeyeon has always been petite just like Sunny and Hyoyeon. If you compare her looks now and her looks during her solo debut era until before INVU, she looks much skinnier now.

I didn't know about Yoona intentionally trying to gain weight.

They all look beautiful though.

• i think we should take this discussion somewhere else cause it can get very detailed and might not be comfortable for viewers

Ok.

• being (severely)underweight , like having a bmi under 16, is kind of more dangerous on short term than having a bmi over 40

Sure, you're more likely to starve yourself to death faster than eat yourself to death.

To be clear, I don't really have skin in the game either way, especially with celebrities who aren't exactly likely to be trolling through an online comments board, but it does seem logically inconsistent that some people feel like thin people are fair game for criticizing over their weight where obese people aren't. Like pick a lane.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Sure, you're more likely to starve yourself to death faster than eat yourself to death.

To be clear, I don't really have skin in the game either way, especially with celebrities who aren't exactly likely to be trolling through an online comments board, but it does seem logically inconsistent that some people feel like thin people are fair game for criticizing over their weight where obese people aren't. Like pick a lane.

people dying from willingly starving themselves are extremely rare compared to people who have a ton of diseases due to walking around overweight

so

feelings of the minority dont matter you know

u r m o m g a y

• I think your post comparing their weights is unnecessary and toxic as we know that some of them have had eating issues.

Is it bodyshaming? Yeah, because you don't give them health advice beyond stating they are thin and its not gonna change anything.

You can still post this (freedom of speech etc.) but I think its pretty tasteless.

(+ putting the "most beautiful" survey under the framing of weight is just toxic....)

• Taeyeon does seem noticeably skinnier compared to her solo comeback period earlier this year

I think so too.

• I don't think its such a bad thing to point out specially if you don't mean it in a shaming or demeaning way.

But peop3ls weight and health issues isn't really for strangers to talk about imo be it skinny or fat and I say that as a skinny person who had complete strangers call me anorexic and unhealthy when I'm not and that's quite the harmful thing to do.

So I do think it's best not to decide if someone weight is healthy or not and put into consideration if they actually do have body image issues or food disorder having random kpop fans talk about it online like they're health experts is not gonna make them feel better.

BTW Op this isn't about what you wrote its just a general issue I have with how kpop fans treat idols weight and health in general

• Tiffany is skinny but she's been mostly like that for years now so now or less her normal weight.

Taeyeon definitely lost a lot of weight. Compare her face from last year and she had fuller cheeks, since the beginning of this year she's lost a lot of weight and hey cheeks have very obvious indentations. She already lost weight for invu but over the last few months after lost even more.

Some fan accounts also mentioned how after recording sessions today Taeyeon struggled to stay standing and had to be lifted by Seohyun a couple times.

• Tiffany is skinny but she's been mostly like that for years now so now or less her normal weight.

Taeyeon definitely lost a lot of weight. Compare her face from last year and she had fuller cheeks, since the beginning of this year she's lost a lot of weight and hey cheeks have very obvious indentations. She already lost weight for invu but over the last few months after lost even more.

Some fan accounts also mentioned how after recording sessions today Taeyeon struggled to stay standing and had to be lifted by Seohyun a couple times.

It's probably because of the hectic solo and snsd group schedule.

• at least it isn't as bad as the lion heart era

They were all skinny during that era just like they've always mostly been.

• Voted for Sooyoung! She's shining

I think Taeyeon is just miniature girl, she's not THAT skinny :melon_think: People been calling me way too skinny, but I felt amazing and was healthy (during the corona I gained some weight though)

Sounds like taking a full time break works wonders. :-)

• Full schedule and stress does that to people. Taeyeon had 3 comebacks this year

I hope she flies to Europe for a serious vacation soon, she deserves it.

• I'm running out of energy fast and I don't feel strong personally, Nothing is tiring when I'm a little overweight. Of course, I don't mean to be obese. Also, I haven't been sick for 2 years. Kpop idols definitely to lose weight to look good on TV. But I think companies must be forcing to them diet because of netizens. I think it would make more sense if they built muscle. Cause no matter what you do when you lose weight, it melts in the muscles.

• people dying from willingly starving themselves are extremely rare compared to people who have a ton of diseases due to walking around overweight

so

feelings of the minority dont matter you know

That... that's not really true LOL

People who have "a ton of diseases" due to being overweight are usually at least on their 40s after being fat for quite a while. Meanwhile anorexia girls get really sick really fast

• Depends, when you shame someone there’s always that underlying superiority complex in the phrase, like saying someone is too skinny you want to give them a burger, there’s no real concern

• This isnt pertaining to the SNSD members and I'm not insinuating that you are doing it

I feel that bodyshaming someone who is skinny is just as bad as bodyshaming someone that is fat. It is just that society sees it different when it shouldn't be the case.

Why does society think it is not OK for you to call someone fat, but apparently OK for you to call someone skinny?

• No and anyone who says otherwise is stupid.

Depends. If the person is going "look at her she's like a skeleton" then yeah.

But if they go "I feel like this idol is too skinny for their health, considering that kpop makes people starve themselves I am worried for this idol's wellbeing"

I have somewhat of an ED, like today I ate literally nothing for 24h, I am so unhealthy but because I'm skinny people overlook it.

• Well in my own personal opinion and observation, a lot of K pop idols are a bit on the skinny side compared to what western women would be anyway. It's not body shaming, it's just an observation.

• it is body shaming. i don't understand why it should be different for underweight people. i'm underweight myself and i hate it when people make comments about it.

same here. And commenting on another person's body might be triggering for that person.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!