IS SNSD PEAK COMPARABLE TO TWICE POPULARITY?

• SNSD , from Gee (early 2009) to The Boys (Oct 2011), completely dominated.

After IU defeated SNSD (IU was the final challenger SNSD faced, having beaten 2PM, 2AM, 2NE1, and others - if IU had been defeated by SNSD it would have reigned for a much longer period) SNSD had to share power with IU, Psy and then EXO which SM pushed, but until the Jessica Jung mess it continued to hold a big sway.

SO 3 years of absolute domination and 3 years in the highest echelon. No equal in history

This poll, after the disasters SM faced in 2014, was decisive on SNSD's loss of top position but 6 yrs is a long time. At that time everyone was surprised that SNSD was #2, not #1, and only I pointed out that no one mentioned the #1 singer of the lot since even back then I talked about the then-Loen singer a lot.

Lee Jieun is another case and I am not going to discuss that at here.

• I'll just leave this here.

This is how popular they were 5 years into their careers, before kpop went international, before PSY, before IGAB, etc.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If you answer this question seriously then I will never take your opinion on anything Kpop related seriously. These groups exist in two wildly different times. To compare them is to compare Backstreet Boys and 1D, it is useless and only to bolster the ego of which ever group you Stan. The two groups are similar in that they had 9 members. Besides that they are promoted differently and we’re surrounded by different groups. If SNSD debuted now would they be popular? If Twice debuted in 2007 would they be popular?

Again the question itself is an insult to both groups. They are both some of the most successful girl groups of all time

• I'll just leave this here.

This is how popular they were 5 years into their careers, before kpop went international, before PSY, before IGAB, etc.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

cant imagine ignoring THIS LEVEL OF IMPACT :pepe-peek:

• After IU defeated SNSD (IU was the final challenger SNSD faced, having beaten 2PM, 2AM, 2NE1, and others - if IU had been defeated by SNSD it would have reigned for a much longer period) SNSD had to share power with IU, Psy and then EXO which SM pushed, but until the Jessica Jung mess it continued to hold a big sway.

Seems SNSD will go on IU's Palette (IU like Seohyun's IG on the album),

if that happens and given that SoShi Tamtam's ratings have been very low, and then they get a boost on the charts,

then yes, it is strong evidence that even the legendary SNSD, can do with a helping hand from IU.

J-hope was one indicator already.

I told you, she is going to end as the Anna Wintour or Roger Ebert of K-pop, probably even more powerful, because Wintour was never a top model or Ebert a movie star/director.

Even YHY, Yoon Dohyun weren't as massive a star as she is.

• Lee Jieun acted with Seohyun in Moon Lovers which might be why Lee Jieun liked Seo Joohyun's IG. She only saw Sung Dongil three times while filming ML but did not forget to greet him, which did help when she later filmed the Wheeled House (Sung was the host) with Yeo Jingoo's invitation.

It seems she is now busy preparing for her concert to promote someone else's album. Because she would not be available for a promo, even her movie Dream, aimed before the World Cup season, was moved to next year.

• Lee Jieun acted with Seohyun in Moon Lovers which might be why Lee Jieun liked Seo Joohyun's IG. She only saw Sung Dongil three times while filming ML but did not forget to greet him, which did help when she later filmed the Wheeled House (Sung was the host) with Yeo Jingoo's invitation.

It seems she is now busy preparing for her concert to promote someone else's album. Because she would not be available for a promo, even her movie Dream, aimed before the World Cup season, was moved to next year.

Possibly. But if they are going on Palette, I am sure that it must have been already filmed, even before they released on Aug 5th.

That has been the pattern, they film, then the release, then Palette broadcast in the 1st or 2nd week of promotions. If that were the case, it won't be that much a conflict with the concert prep.

And it is not comparable to movie promotions, which unlike the youtube show would be over multiple days and weeks.

• Because she would not be available for a promo, even her movie Dream, aimed before the World Cup season, was moved to next year.

They could still do Dream after the concert - FIFA is Nov-Dec, a comfortable month's gap, so concert could not have been the only reason.

• NO

Can people stop with this? literally SNSD at their peak is league aboves Twice peak.

SNSD was the #1 K-Pop Group overall . They beat even BG in their peak while Twice is not even the top GG of their generation

From 2016-2017/8 no boy group was beating Twice digitally except BTS sometimes. Even after that Twice charts better than every boy group except BTS and maybe like seventeen sometimes. Twice had nine number one songs in a row, the only group of the 3rd gen to do that and something SNSD never did even though they were dominant. Also SNSD would never beat Big Bang even in their big times and 2NE1 was always competitive in Korea with them and KARA was competitive with them in Japan. No group is competitive with Twice in Japan except BTS.

Anyways the whole comparison is bogus anyways they are two groups from different times.

• From 2016-2017/8 no boy group was beating Twice digitally except BTS sometimes. Even after that Twice charts better than every boy group except BTS and maybe like seventeen sometimes. Twice had nine number one songs in a row, the only group of the 3rd gen to do that and something SNSD never did even though they were dominant. Also SNSD would never beat Big Bang even in their big times and 2NE1 was always competitive in Korea with them and KARA was competitive with them in Japan. No group is competitive with Twice in Japan except BTS.

Anyways the whole comparison is bogus anyways they are two groups from different times.

SNSD had 8 Gaon number 1s and that don't include Gee and Genie, both numbers 1s, because they're before Gaon was introduced. So yeah they've had more than Twice.

Big bang and 2ne1 might've been competitive and/or beaten them but SNSD were strong enough to hold their own in their time until 2G as a whole slowly faded. Twice have been easily beaten by lots of ggs including rookies and nugus in the last few years from their own gen and now from current 4G ggs.

Both had competition in Japan, that's not really saying anything for either group. Besides Japan is irrelevant to Korean success/impact so why even bring that up?

With stats and anecdotal evidence (polls, TV shows, cfs and all that shit) its very clear SNSD had a bigger and longer impact. :uwu-party-bee:

• I could’ve sworn I saw this article + comments already posted under a different title?

But for the question i think anyone who was into kpop during SNSD era would know they werent just a top gg, they were THE group of Korea. As in pop culture level, talking about Korea inevitably meant talking about SNSD. Their peak in Korea is unmatched by any gg since including Twice.

The Olympics in Pyeongchang even had a picture of SNSD on the brochure. And this was in 2018 when Twice was in their prime. Proves SNSD represents Korea all these years later.

• NO

Can people stop with this? literally SNSD at their peak is league aboves Twice peak.

SNSD was the #1 K-Pop Group overall . They beat even BG in their peak while Twice is not even the top GG of their generation

Honestly this has to be put in perspective.

Kpop as whole has grown so much over the years including sales and touring. So to say a old group has more success over current one is a stretch.

You can say SNSD during their peak was top of KPOP even abovr BGs and for recognition, they are better known by the Korean public as compared to twice, but their success and overall revenue would not be better than Twice after expansion of kpop.

So are we talking about relative or absolute? Cause if absolute, i think no point arguing, newer gen (non rookie) will win by far

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!