Are BTS and Blackpink are the "world biggest boyband and girl group of all time " or just in K-pop ?

• I wonder why The Beatles didn't have the most comments when they were around. :melon_think:

• The Spice Girls are bigger than all 565788343 million kpop girl groups combined lol.

And there are bigger bgs as well. The Beatles were considered a boy band before all the acclaim came. But even if you don’t count them, BSB at their peak were absolutely massive for example.

Whoever thinks that any kpop group is the biggest ever is probably 14 and their music knowledge spans from 2016 to 2022.

• I would need to know how The Beatles did globally at their peak, I guess. Although it's not a fair comparison because the internet certainly provides an assist.

BTS and BP are the biggest groups at present and not just in kpop. Of all time? Again, I'd need Beatles stats globally to see how they fared against BTS. As for gg, I would go with the Spice Girls for biggest gg of all time.

• The Spice Girls are bigger than all 565788343 million kpop girl groups combined lol.

And there are bigger bgs as well. The Beatles were considered a boy band before all the acclaim came. But even if you don’t count them, BSB at their peak were absolutely massive for example.

Whoever thinks that any kpop group is the biggest ever is probably 14 and their music knowledge spans from 2016 to 2022.

For BSB, western definitely, but it's arguable that BTS has more global popularity overall.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I agree with most posts here. Of all time? :uh-uh-bunny:

• No, its impossible for any new artist/actor/celebrity today to became as universally known as the stars of the 60s-90's were. The competition and offerings today is just too big and people are too split between different artists/celebrities and media.

Edited 2 times, last by Kreatin ().

This!!

No kpop GG will come close to Spice Girls at their peak :yesr:

• I would need to know how The Beatles did globally at their peak, I guess. Although it's not a fair comparison because the internet certainly provides an assist.

BTS and BP are the biggest groups at present and not just in kpop. Of all time? Again, I'd need Beatles stats globally to see how they fared against BTS. As for gg, I would go with the Spice Girls for biggest gg of all time.

• 6 Grammys during their career
    • Won Best Original Song at the Oscars
    • their album spent 30 weeks at #1
    • 11 of first 12 albums hit #1
    • knighted by Queen Elizabeth
    • credited for starting the Album Era
    • started the British Invasion
    • the Best Selling Artist of all time
    • most #1 singles on Billboard Hot 100
    • most #1 albums on UK Album chart
    • their sold out concert at Shea Stadium in 1965 was the largest concert audience at that time and basically changed how concerts worked
    • they're basically credited for changing how music was viewed by many all over the world and how it's consumed

This is even touching on the way they influenced the last 50 year of popular music or the techniques they helped make mainstream. This isn't even touching on the fact that the overwhelming majority of their catalog (not just singles, b sides as well) are some of the most iconic songs ever recorded which are still known all over the world even now.

• I think only those above 30's still remember spice girls.

Your age demographic = all time? :melon_think: I don't think that's how it works.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Everyone keeps talking about how big the spice girls were, but didn't they have just that one song :whatb:

Spice Girls were a legit phenomenon . They were everywhere when I was a kid... in every magazine, on every channel, they had tons of endorsements and merchandise. Spice Girls basically laid the groundwork for promoting your brand.

this is from their wikipedia page.

Other measures of the Spice Girls' success include international record sales, iconic symbolism such as Halliwell's Union Jack dress, and their synonymous nicknames which were given to them by the British press. Under the guidance of their mentor and manager Simon Fuller, their endorsement deals and merchandise made them one of most successful marketing engines ever, with a global gross income estimated at $500–800 million by May 1998.[13][nb 1] Their media exposure, according to Music Week writer Paul Gorman, helped usher in an era of celebrity obsession in pop culture.[18]

The Spice Girls have sold 100 million records worldwide,[19] making them the bestselling girl group of all time,[20][21][22] one of the bestselling artists, and the most successful British pop act since the Beatles.[23][24][25] They received five Brit Awards, three American Music Awards, four Billboard Music Awards, three MTV Europe Music Awards and one MTV Video Music Award. In 2000, they became the youngest recipients of the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music. According to Rolling Stone journalist and biographer David Sinclair, they were the most widely recognised group since the Beatles.[26]

• also it's not a coincidence that both The Beatles and the Spice Girls starred in two of the best parody films ever.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Spice Girls were a legit phenomenon . They were everywhere when I was a kid... in every magazine, on every channel, they had tons of endorsements and merchandise. Spice Girls basically laid the groundwork for promoting your brand.

They were already disbanded by the time I was born, so I've never seen anything about them lol

I do know wannabe though :eyes:

I thought they were one hit wonders:oops:

• All the Beatles talk is baffling.

They were not a boyband, even if you want to retroactively add the tag to groups that existed before the term did. If you did that, you'd call barbershop quartets and other vocal outfits boybands. The Beatles were not that. They were a band.

• 6 Grammys during their career
    • Won Best Original Song at the Oscars
    • their album spent 30 weeks at #1
    • 11 of first 12 albums hit #1
    • knighted by Queen Elizabeth
    • credited for starting the Album Era
    • started the British Invasion
    • the Best Selling Artist of all time
    • most #1 singles on Billboard Hot 100
    • most #1 albums on UK Album chart
    • their sold out concert at Shea Stadium in 1965 was the largest concert audience at that time and basically changed how concerts worked
    • they're basically credited for changing how music was viewed by many all over the world and how it's consumed

This is even touching on the way they influenced the last 50 year of popular music or the techniques they helped make mainstream. This isn't even touching on the fact that the overwhelming majority of their catalog (not just singles, b sides as well) are some of the most iconic songs ever recorded which are still known all over the world even now.

Thank you! Beatles without argument then for biggest of all time.

• All the Beatles talk is baffling.

They were not a boyband, even if you want to retroactively add the tag to groups that existed before the term did. If you did that, you'd call barbershop quartets and other vocal outfits boybands. The Beatles were not that. They were a band.

It's less about the format and more about how they're marketed. The Beatles in their early days were very much marketed to young women just like groups like the New Kids on the Block and BTS. This is why bands like Day6 are put into the same bucket as idol groups because of how they're market.

and yes... barbershop quartets are considered the ancestor of boy bands.

• Spice Girls were a legit phenomenon . They were everywhere when I was a kid... in every magazine, on every channel, they had tons of endorsements and merchandise. Spice Girls basically laid the groundwork for promoting your brand.

Spice Girls are far beyond Blackpink. Their first album has outsold every korean artist's entire discography except BTS' lol.

Is wikipedia trustable ? I heard they say anyone can edit in wikipedia. My untie was a Spice girls fan but she thinks they are irrelevant now.

I was born 2 years later after they disbanded so I wouldn't know. I only started liking MTV's around 2007

• Is wikipedia trustable ? I heard they say anyone can edit in wikipedia. My untie was a Spice girls fan but she thinks they are irrelevant now.

I was born 2 years later after they disbanded so I wouldn't know. I only started liking MTV's around 2007

It's more trustable than youtube views, that's for sure. Popularity encompasses a hell of a lot more than YouTube, which is a newcomer as it is

• Is wikipedia trustable ? I heard they say anyone can edit in wikipedia. My untie was a Spice girls fan but she thinks they are irrelevant now.

There are about 400+ footnotes on Wikipedia showing where the info came from.

I just want to say the reason I don't know how poppular Spice girls were because I was born 2 years later after they disbanded. Also my auntie knows spice girls but she said they were irrelvant after they disbanded.

• Nope. I remember when BSB I want It that way was played in my high school then at college and then work gatherings and every single every single person in the room knew that song.

BTS and BP have a lot of fans who like their music(they might have even more fans that older boy bands), but they’re not groups who’s music is iconic or remembered in the same way as some other bands.

Hey might be a language thing. There might be plenty of countries where people do know every word of BP BTS songs. And butter or ice cream well personally I don’t think they’ll stand the test of time.

• It's less about the format and more about how they're marketed. The Beatles in their early days were very much marketed to young women just like groups like the New Kids on the Block and BTS. This is why bands like Day6 are put into the same bucket as idol groups because of how they're market.

and yes... barbershop quartets are considered the ancestor of boy bands.

I think defining things by how they're marketed instead of how they actually are is kind of silly. Especially if it's not even about how they're marketed rather than who they're marketed TO.

Like.. Are The 1975 a boyband???

Anyway, obviously, BTS are not bigger than The Beatles. But I think they're bigger than the Backstreet Boys or the Jackson Five or whoever else.

• I think defining things by how they're marketed instead of how they actually are is kind of silly. Especially if it's not even about how they're marketed rather than who they're marketed TO.

Like.. Are The 1975 a boyband???

Anyway, obviously, BTS are not bigger than The Beatles. But I think they're bigger than the Backstreet Boys or the Jackson Five or whoever else.

Literally no. Lol. How on earth are people saying BTS is bigger than BSB kpop fans be saying anything :cryingr: :angryr:

Do y’all know the cultural significance BSB songs have?

• This thread contains 76 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!