Kang Daniel Tried to Shutdown a Forum. And People are Clapping?!

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Back in 2019, Kang Daniel’s lawyers released a statement announcing that they have submitted an application to the Seoul Central District Court to request the closure of the “Produce 101 Season 2” community (known as a “gallery”). They explained that there are millions of posts on the gallery and many of them contain libelous falsehoods, describing that the postings exceed the boundaries of normal freedom of expression.

DC Inside issued a statement as a response in which they lamented that the request was made. The internet forum shared that the request to close a gallery has no legal basis and added that, through monitoring of reports by users, DC Inside managers take 24-hour action including deletion and suspension when there is a problematic post.

On October 28, the Civil Settlement Division 16 of the Seoul Central District Court ruled that the plaintiff (Kang Daniel) had lost the lawsuit filed against the defendant (DC Inside). The court stated, “Excessive interference with expressions posted on the internet can dampen freedom of expression.”

The court explained, “Even if DC Inside has a duty to properly manage the online posting space, excessive interference with articles posted there for fear of defamation and compensation for damages will inevitably dampen freedom of expression.”

They added, “When DC Inside receives reports on posts that insult or defame certain celebrities, they try to delete them, and in this case, there is no evidence that most of the posts on the bulletin board are slandering or insulting Kang Daniel. It is insufficient to acknowledge that closing the online bulletin board is the only way to prevent infringement on Kang Daniel, and there is no evidence to prove it either.”

How tf did he expect this to work? The Gallery itself was dedicated to Produce S2, not dedicated to hating on him and there were moderators on site. They did their part and all they're liable to do.

I understand that Daniel has had a really tough time with his mental health but he can't shutdown a whole forum just because some people on there harass him. There would be no social media or open platform to have any kind of opinion left if people have that kinda power. That anybody cheering this on is straight up disturbing. This isn't "fighting for the rights of idols" this is oppression of speech

• I am not his fan but I wish it worked. Freedom of speech that is used just to hate on harmless people never resonates with me. Maybe if you were in his shoes you would wish the whole internet to be shut down not just a community that has the majority dedicate their lives on hating you.

lt64IYu.gif

• His lawyers should've told him what to do in these cases, if they decided to peruse it means that they saw a chance of it actually working

But I guess it didnt work

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• i've heard there are specific sections(pages?) on dc inside which is full of hate for the bts members

i've seen k armys mail bighit with screenshots from dc inside

its really admirable that he tried to take steps but ig u cant really close down a forum

There is a hate sections in practically every forum or page on the internet, miserable people lashing out at idols

This is the down side of internet though

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• i've heard there are specific sections(pages?) on dc inside which is full of hate for the bts members

i've seen k armys mail bighit with screenshots from dc inside

its really admirable that he tried to take steps but ig u cant really close down a forum

There used to be pages like that here too. And most forums for most idols honestly

• I am not his fan but I wish it worked. Freedom of speech that is used just to hate on harmless people never resonates with me. Maybe if you were in his shoes you would wish the whole internet to be shut down not just a community that has the majority dedicate their lives on hating you.

There's wishing something and then there's trying to actually make it happen. How a minority misuses their rights doesn't mean you should restrict the majority. Six thousand posts is bad but when the forum has millions of posts overall just in that section, it's not fair

• DC gallery is like hell. Literally not comparable with the worst of akp or reddit r/kpop. People literally just insult and release wrong rumors on there. He can be a dickhead or not, but that doesn’t mean it’s okay to hate on people. Free speech is only liable until it hurts someone else’s personal rights. That South Korea is backwards when it’s about cyberbullying is nothing new

• It looks like a place men go🙄

If Kang was just as vocal and suing the people who exploits women (Molka) then that would be different.

An internet forum who talks bad about you….well don’t go

• I wish he had won. Expressing an opinion is one thing, but trying to tarnish one's dignity by constantly spreading false rumors is another.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• Is this not the same place that had the anti-Twice slave room? Not sure why some of you are so desperate to defend that hellhole of a site

it's not really comparable though dc gallery is basically when all antis get together (most of the hate idols face come from that place).

allkpop was toxic but not all of was dedicated to hate on idols tbh it wasn't as bad.

DC gallery is like hell. Literally not comparable with the worst of akp or reddit r/kpop. People literally just insult and release wrong rumors on there. He can be a dickhead or not, but that doesn’t mean it’s okay to hate on people. Free speech is only liable until it hurts someone else’s personal rights. That South Korea is backwards when it’s about cyberbullying is nothing new

It's a bit of an exaggeration. It's toxic but almost every group has a major community and fanbases operating out of it. I don't see how it's any different than Reddit or AKP outside of scale.

It's not even DC itself that bothers me, the idea of people trying to take down an entire section because of minority hate comments coming from it makes me very uncomfortable, my faves or not. That's a very slippery slope and I don't think most countries would allow that to happen.

Sue the users, not the site

• I understand the side you're viewing from and I agree it is a slippery slope, but I've heard so many terrible things from multiple fandoms and seen what Daniel himself had to deal with from DC Gallery so I can sympathize with him. With what I've heard there has to be little to no moderation so perhaps a conclusion could be reached to at least do the bare minimum and moderate the thing? Then perhaps the bad reputation would get fixed up a bit

• oh the rumors spread that time were way too much.. pd101 s2 rumors were a hell hole, there were literally death threats being sent to some and their families..

you cant blame him for wanting it to shut down.. worth a try I say..

its really ugly there and ieven if its not majority speaking its a lot bigger ratio than your akp, reddit or literally any other kpop forum..

• It's a bit of an exaggeration. It's toxic but almost every group has a major community and fanbases operating out of it. I don't see how it's any different than Reddit or AKP outside of scale.

It's not even DC itself that bothers me, the idea of people trying to take down an entire section because of minority hate comments coming from it makes me very uncomfortable, my faves or not. That's a very slippery slope and I don't think most countries would allow that to happen.

Sue the users, not the site

No it is worse than akp. Almost of every fake rumor of the last years comes from that forum. It is literally known as a hate forum. Other toxic but more like akp forums are like pann where you have toxic people and hate comments but in an “normal“ or inevitable amount. Also, he already sues user and malicious comments but the mods basically do nothing on there and allow everything.

If you think akp is bad than you have to go sites like lolcow and imagine it as worse as these

• DC literally has almost no moderation. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out how bad that can get…

• I don't understand ?(. He could just ignore that forum. Why try to shut it down bc some users on there are hating on him? There are way better ways to deal with such matters.

Because they then spread those rumors like gospel and facts under posts about him and other people and make stuff up out of malice and some of it sticks despite being 100% false

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

• That's because you didn't read what was on that DC gallery Produce 101 season 2. I've been there to read and report. It's dozen of thousands of hate comments towards Daniel, with death threats and harassing comments. It's a place where they planified organised attacks and rumors against him. We reported hundred of those comments none has ever been deleted. Yes freedom of speech is important BUT it has limits. And the owners, moderators of this forums are responsible of what they deliberately let people write without ever deleting it.

• That's because you didn't read what was on that DC gallery Produce 101 season 2. I've been there to read and report. It's dozen of thousands of hate towards Daniel, with death threats and harassing comments. It's a place where they planified organised attacks and rumors against him. We reported hundred of those comments none has ever been deleted. Yes freedom of speech is important BUT it has limits. And the owners, moderators of this forums are responsible of what they deliberately let people write without ever deleting it.

Yeah, I feel like no one who knows the full extent of things that went down would dismiss it as easily as OP (who I like and have no hard feelings against) and some other people in the thread did

mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.

• If it's just posters slandering him, he should just sue or take dow the individual posters. Kind of selfish to try to take down a whole forum if the admins are not the ones hating.

• If it's just posters slandering him, he should just sue or take dow the individual posters. Kind of selfish to try to take down a whole forum if the admins are not the ones hating.

The specific Gallery on DC Inside he's trying to take down is a Major Gallery, meaning the "admins" are just the owners of the whole site. They don't care enough to even moderate the Gallery. Major Galleries are notorious for being hell holes of unmoderated hate.

This Gallery has become about him, unlike what OP said. It strayed away from the original topic long ago and only antis exist there. So no it's not selfish. No one is going to lose anything important if the Gallery is taken down.

And he does sue individual posters, but when you're dealing with a good million hate posts, then suing a dozen people every few months doesn't do much.

I edited wording so it's more clear he's just asking to take down a Gallery about him, not the entire forum.

Edited 2 times, last by efem ().

• I don’t know how the forum is now but during the Produce seasons (the male ones since they were the ones I was following closely and bg stans are generally more wild) people crossed the line. It’s one thing to express a negative opinion and another to carry out organised mass hate campaigns against people. Sure they were some small sub forums that were nice and well moderated but overall it was a cesspool so I’m with him on this one.

• I applaud him. I'm sorry it wasn't shut down. While I do post very minimally in a few on line spaces I honestly feel most forums and social media platforms are horrible, toxic places and should be shut down.

Tell'em Bangtan is dancing on the floorImage result for bts dancing gif fire

• If they felt they DC didnt do enough (which they clearly dont looking at what comes from that place) there could be grounds for it all to be taken down by law. In this case the court ruled otherwise. But his laywers wouldnt have done it if they didnt think there was a chance.

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!