Is being an Anime fan the gateway addiction to Kpop?

• Before I started being a Kpop fan, I used to watch and was/still am a huge Anime fan of Digimon, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Naruto, One Piece, Case closed/ Detective Conan and so on.

I used to go to Anime conventions with my Naruto or One Piece/Ace costumes and met other anime fans there. One of my friend introduce me to Kpop and their favorite group Blackpink and I was hooked since.

I think it is easier for people to like Kpop if you are already an Anime fan.

fyi, my favorite is One Piece. which Anime show is your favorite? Were/ are you also an Anime fan before you start liking Kpop groups?

• I definitely was a manga/anime fan before i knew of kpop lol. My tastes vary a lot so asking me for 1 favourite anime is impossible, but if we’re talking along the vein of shounen anime like you are then i quite like attack on titan and ace of diamond (the latter actually got me into baseball lol)

• I disagree tbh, kpop and anime are vastly different. Not to mention that kpop is stigmatized more than anime

More often than not I see weeb edge lords drag kpop tbh

edit: however I watched anime as a child so I might also be wrong :melon_think: maybe anime and idol obsession do have a link???

I wouldn't say they are vastly different but have similarities in styles /clothing and hair styles. SNSD reminded me of Sailor Moon girls when I first saw them.

• Vocaloid is what first introduced me to kpop since I found a utauloid cover of 2ne1 and me being an anime fan is what led me to vocaloid to begin with so... in sense they connected for me.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• Not really. There's very little crossover with anime and kpop. If anything anime and jpop share more of a common denominator. I knew of jpop (wasn't into it though) waaay before kpop was ever popular because of anime openings.

First anime was pokemon, Digimon, DBZ etc but they were the Eng dubbed ones after school. My first "non mainstream" was probably FMA OG series with Jap subs. From there on the usual Naruto, bleach, Evangelion etc.

• Gaming may be huge too because Korea has a pretty big gaming industry. I used to play Korean game, which make me interact with Korean streamers. Meanwhile, streamers may play kpop in the background. That is what makes my interest in kpop.

• Gaming may be huge too because Korea has a pretty big gaming industry. I used to play Korean game, which make me interact with Korean streamers. Meanwhile, streamers may play kpop in the background. That is what makes my interest in kpop.

I think that Anime/Gaming and Kpop are somehow connect. It would make sense if you like Korean video games to also like Kpop groups.

• the first anime I ever watched was Laupta - Castle in the Sky when I was still in China

but the first anime I got into was pokemon I guess

• Nope. I was a major anime fan for a long time and kpop never really did anything for me. I also wasn't huge into dramas. The two anime fan friends I had who did convert into kpop fans did so via dramas. I didn't get into kpop until wayyyyy after my hardcore anime phase.

• same in 2011 i started with Kdrama. Till this day I am still a bigger kdrama fan compared to kpop

I have never watched an anime

• Not necessarily, but if you enjoy manga and animes, you are already open-minded, and able to enjoy pop culture from a non-english country. You are already used to fan translations, subtitles, etc...

So I wouldn't say it's a gateway, but it makes sense for anime fans to be able to jump on the kpop train, more than people who consummed pop culture from their own language exclusively since they were born.

For the record, I do enjoy manga from time to time, but I wouldn't say I was ever addicted. Some of them really had an impact on me, but most of the 'classics' completely went over my head.

• I think it is easier for people to like Kpop if you are already an Anime fan.

fyi, my favorite is One Piece. which Anime show is your favorite? Were/ are you also an Anime fan before you start liking Kpop groups?

That’s not really true. Most of the vile kpop and BTS haters I’ve run into are anime weebs.

I don’t have one favorite anime. But I do enjoy watching Haikyuu and I was an anime fan before getting into kpop

• No lol I have seen so many weebs who hate kpop with passion. It feels like they are bothered by kpop's recent global expansion (add kdramas into that as well).

At least I think so cus I don't see another reason. It's weird the way they feel nationalism for a country they dont belong to

• no, the amount of anime fans i know that take every opportunity to shit on kpop is too many. funniest thing is when they make fun of kpop stans because kpop is in a different language and then proceed to bop to their naruto ost

:pepe-cringe:

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• I have always thought why should I watch animated people when I can watch real people.

if you have any good anime recommend some to me and where i can watch them for free.

i think you’re looking at it the wrong way. Anime/animated filmography isn’t about watching non-real people as opposed to watching real ones; the animation platform allows for a practically unlimited approach to storytelling that live action doesn’t provide. You could in theory literally do anything with animation and tackle every single genre with 100% control of the direction and the ability to mold everything to your liking; can’t do that with filming real people no matter how in-tuned the actors are with the script. If the story itself is good, bar a lack of budget, there’s nothing holding animated films back from being as good as any live action film. And isn’t cinema all about telling stories at its core? Animation is not excluded from that.

There are a ton of good anime out there in a huge diversity of genres, so imma need you to give me what specific genre you’re interested in bc there’s literally good anime in every niche lol. For a mainstream pick in the dark that’s non-girly, which shouldn’t deter guys who are too macho for that, i’d recommend attack on titan bc i don’t think anyone can say it’s a bad anime. Some salty fans of other competing franchises may say it’s overrated for the praise it gets (I personally don’t agree) but even they can’t deny that it’s still good. Unfortunately I don’t have an anime site I usually follow nowadays but gogoanime seems to be a popular one

• No that they are related, but sometimes you end up more open minded to Asian Culture if you are already into one of their elements.

exactly and that's what I meant. I think for most people it start out for the love of anime and then it open they minds to other things like Kpop, Jpop and so on.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!