Are survival shows lowkey oversaturating the KPOP industy?

• I feel like there's a survival show announcement every other month like...I'm getting survival show fatigue. And there are so many groups debuting from these shows, and the ones that didn't make it have to debut in a million separate groups, and it's like.....chill ?( I think the one of the main reasons why there are SO many groups debuting every year are because of these survival shows and Produce was a prime example.

• Companies saw what survival shows could do after what happened with Izone. Even after a major rigging scandal, Izone was so successful in building a rabid and passionate fanbase that the group easily shrugged off the scandal and proceeded to set sales records. Fans dont care about scandals, they just wanna see their faves sing and dance and have fun with each other.

I think what most impressed labels is what KWizones did with the PUP project. They secured $3 million in donations from 23k KWizones, over 100 bucks per donor, to keep their fave group together. Can you imagine how many execs were shook after this happened? And imagine if the J Wizones and other I fans were also included, the number couldve easily hit $4 or maybe even $5 million.

Wizones made history. And Izone literally printed money.

Companies now know that all they need is a relatively small amount of passionate fans that are created and nurtured through the survival show. Get them to fall in love with their fave member or members. Then BAM. Instant fandom.

• I am more surprised how mnet was able to launch another survival show after that huge backlash from manipulating controversy and how people still support mnet. It’s basically same just with different names. I guarantee you, we are getting boys planet 999 too and its like produce series all over again.

The amount of unfair screen time is really annoying. They just focus on some particular idol from start and make us like them. To be honest, their editing is what choosing our biases. The editors and writers are the ones that making stories, drama, showing us the progress of idols talents through out the survival show just to be debut and stay mediocre & underwhelming rest of their careers.

At the end of the day its just business.

• inb4 people rant that ifans trying to police who can or cant debut

The reason why survival show groups work is bc they take the ACE trainees from different companies and make one group out of them

The moment they go back to their own companies, its one or two outstanding members + 4 to 6 meh one and they will all just fail

If its gonna be a perma group out of the show, then its ok. If they will just re-debut in 1o different groups then nah.

Also MBC and FNC show are legit looking like minor exploitation, but thats another discussion

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• honestly speaking... where did we have survival show last time?

I'm talking about a girl group edition

and don't talk about NiziU because they still didn't debut in Korea after so long

so what we now have Girls Planet 999, and then we will have After School Excitement

and honestly I'm excited, I'd rather watch trainees gain some attention through show even if eliminated in middle of program, than to later hear about group of kids which trained for 6-7 years in SM or YG and after such long time never debuted... and basically spent all their youth in basement/dungeon of one or another company...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Korea: Survival show 1,2,3,4,5 and 6

Japan: "Yo that shit is lit as fuck" and releases their own now too

I mean ... Since Produce 101 Japan season 1 there were 4 more shows and a second season of PDJ and there is also another one airing next month and thats only a time-frame of the past 2 years :pepe-tea:

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• The moment they go back to their own companies, its one or two outstanding members + 4 to 6 meh one and they will all just fail

Translation: 1-2 members who people already knew and loved, and 4-6 members who are totally new to people who fans/public are too lazy to get to know

The fact that Sejeong had all them akgaes despite there being at least 4 girls in Gugudan at her talent level says it all, let alone other similar circumstances

• Yes, they just pushed it over the edge. Produce groups disbanding plus other contestants making projects groups, joining other survival shows, solo debuts, and going back to their companies just added WAY too many acts to the game.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• I’m not trying to downplay IZONE’s success, but IOI and the first produce are what kicked off the survival show craze. They’re basically the reason why there were so many seasons + their public appeal (which no other PD truly reached tbh) created good Will for the following seasons. Survival shows always existed but it wasn’t until IOI and the first PD season did so many shows with trainees from smaller companies and such become the format.

• Lowkey? It's pretty obvious. There's been like 1 or 2 survival shows per year since the first produce which was a huge success. It's the in trend for TV idol shows.

• These groups would’ve debuted anyway whether the shows existed or not. The real impact would be the group’s popularity. So these shows didn’t create more groups (sans the winning teams, or runner up teams like IBI & JBJ) and moreso gave them a rise in popularity. Another impact would be members who win or make it far enough get added to the lineup. Like Yeonjung who made it in WJSN thanks to it

• Also to the people who complain about them. The only reason people do that is because they had enough interest in watching it, but don’t have the time to keep up with the contents as much as they’d want to

Cuz people who dislike these shows or don’t give a shit about them would simply ignore it

No one is forcing people to watch these shows. So the “it’s overwhelming” thing is due to increase of interest while decrease of being able keep up

• They are 30+ groups debuting yearly anyway. 3-4 more from survival shows won't make significant difference.

Rather than saturation, survival show can possibly screw the marketability of groups from medium to small companies.

I mean ... Since Produce 101 Japan season 1 there were 4 more shows and a second season of PDJ and there is also another one airing next month

Sorry. As far I know, they will be 2 girl group survival shows to premiere in Japan in October.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!