Do You Ever Feel Like Being Into Kpop Is Hard? Or Hurts/Harms You? Maybe Mentally or Socially?

• No not really as I’m not as passionate about it as I used to be. I’ve matured a lot as far as that goes (which pleased my daughter as she’s the one who got me into it in the first place). There’s more to life than listening to a bunch of K pop songs and also have to have other interests as well.

That's nice to share that with your daughter! Something you can bond on.

• This was a good strategy lol.

It took about a year, year and a half. I was very determined. I would trick my mom into watching BTS videos by telling her that I found this cool video with cinematography that she would like (she's an artist). Since I really do send her interesting videos, she had no way of knowing which ones were BTS vids so she would watch them by accident and ended up really liking them. Then she started looking for them on her own.

• No not really, whenever my friends and I hang out, we are quite social people so we enjoy going out to bars, clubs, restaurants etc and living in a big city (London) there’s always something to do so even with my friends who are into kpop, we barely talk about it because our conversations consists of other things going on in our lives or we are doing something.

• Nope. My 2 closest friends aren't into kpop either (although 1 of them is into k-drama) and I simply don't talk to them about it since I know that they are not interested. We talk about our common interests instead

they do know I like kpop though so at least they don't talk bad about it (in front of me) although I have an idea of what they think about the industry itself :eyes:

• Yes, it does. The online fandom experience is sometimes very bad. I joined K-pop to enjoy it, not to be stressed.

It has too much unhealthy competition and toxicity. I didn't join K-pop to fight.

It also gets too political. I've already engaged in too many political discussions outside of K-pop and it's very taxing. I didn't join K-pop looking for more of it.

I don't have anyone to talk with about K-pop irl, so online is my only option. But I'm almost quitting the online fandom.

• I think the only thing is that some ignorant people go "of course you like k-pop, you're asian" when they find out I like K-Pop.

Or they know about BTS and assume I'm just a "rabid fan girl".

~ ω

• I at first thought it’s all about loving the same music and enjoying your favorite Groups. But the more I got into the online Kpop community, I realized that it can be pretty tearing. I actually left the online community pretty often. My longest hiatus was almost 2 years.

Recently I left more a month again.

Especially with fanwars and Forum fights, sometimes it’s better to take a break.

I don’t have the same issues with Kpop in my real life… almost everyone who knows me knows I listen to Kpop. Also Kpop fans are just that fans. I never had a fanwar with real life people.

• I love being a Kpop fan and it gives me more joy than harm.

Kpop helped me go through the worst periods in my life and it's still helping me to make me feel less lonely and to give me motivation especially.

I usually say that Kpop saved my life and it's true. I'll forever be thankful to all of my favorite Kpop groups for that.

People talk about how parassocial relationships are harmful, but to be honest, it is a blessing for me.

Also, I met many great people through Kpop. On forums and also in real life!

Now talking about what makes me stressed, the online discussions involving social-political discussions can get me "triggered" (for the lack of a better word atm lol).

The discussions can be done without violence on the speech, but that's not what happens most of the time.

Many fans are too young and misguided and their behavior online can be very toxic whenever an idol does some disapproving thing. Things escalate too quickly when it comes to scandals too and the overreaction and eager to judge and throw stones on others is sickening for me. I believe in dialogue, forgiveness and understanding, what happens on the internet go straight against my values. That's the reason why I deleted my Twitter account and I just stick to lighthearted discussions on forums. It's what gives me joy, and Kpop gives me joy. It doesn't need to be so serious.

About having Kpop fans as friends, I'm lucky. One of my best friends is a multi stan and she's also enthusiastic about the genre, so we're always talking about the latest releases and discussing some other topics. I also brought my siblings to this rabbit hole just when I got into Kpop, and tho they don't listen to the genre anymore, I can still talk with them about 2nd and early 3rd gen groups and what's happening in the industry, which is fun since they're clueless about what's popular these days.

• it's just different things for different groups

I mean I talk kpop here and sometimes with my brother since he likes kpop as well but certainly not at work where it's politics/business/current affairs/sport

with my basketball mates it's obviously basketball/food

with my wife it's son/c-dramas/current affairs

etc etc

at the end of the day we have different groups to which we belong and thus talk about different things to different people

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!