Do You Ever Feel Like Being Into Kpop Is Hard? Or Hurts/Harms You? Maybe Mentally or Socially?

• Do You Ever Feel Like Being Into Kpop Is Hard? Or Hurts/Harms You? Maybe Mentally or Socially?

I love kpop. It's my primary "entertainment" culture that I pay attention to.

I feel like I found a place I have come to belong and especially finding forums like Allkpop. Lots of friends and people I can share this with. It's wonderful.

But sometimes it does make it difficult or weird, because I don't share as much with my "in real life" friends and coworkers. There's this huge part of my life that they aren't into so I talk about it from time to time. And they know I'm into this sort of stuff. But we don't really ever "share it" like we would say pop culture form my own country.

So it's kind of weird having such a big part of your life cut off from those around you. It's been 11+ years so I became used to it though.

What about you?

tenor.gif

• yep. I love kpop, but maybe a little too much. I've noticed I spend all my time watching kpop videos, at first everything was fine, I just enjoyed kpop as a hobby and enjoyed getting to know newer groups, but now it's like it's taken over my life, I feel like I have no other interests except kpop. But I've also developed a bad image of myself from kpop, for example, comparing myself to other kpop idols and their looks and weight. So it's a double edged sword, it's like kpop helps me cope but also ruins my mental health in the process.

• I only get excited from Twitter because I only look at my favs pictures lol.

But do you see fanwars and stuff that makes you stressed?

lol that's valid :pepe-excited:

yeah ig it's fanwars but not rlly the fanwars themselves if yk what i mean?? like i dont care if blinks and armys hate each other but all the weird personal attacks and cancel-y stuff that come from fanwars is just uncomfy :pepe-cross:

• I wonder how I might have felt when I was younger, but now I’m rocking my #hagpride :-D and I couldn’t give a toss about what people think of things I like, nor do I expect or need people to share the same interests as me.

I certainly value having a place like this available to me so I can talk about it to my heart’s content, if I want to, so I don’t feel like it’s something that’s being cut off in other areas of my life. Plus, I’m perfectly happy to refer to it at work or with other friends. I suspect my colleagues and some friends/family may think it’s a touch unusual, but my expectations are set so that I don’t anticipate them being as excited as me ever, so long as they’re not over the top derogatory.

• I got a t-shirt with BTS all over it as my birthday gift last year from work.

Our office manager is into BTS and she knows I like Twice so since she was in charge of it she pulled a prank on me :P

But hah. My mom got into BTS lately (like hardcore Army shit, she knows all the members and she's like 66).

So I'ma re-gift it to her when I finally get back home (maybe Dec? if not next year).

So joke on her :P

But yes, all my friends know, my mom knows, my co-workers know.

And I even get to chat about it with them.

So yeah, I'm happy :)

• The toxicity can be very difficult at times. Sometimes it's just hard to consistently be around negativity.

As for the social stuff in real life... I have a couple of friends that I talk kpop to. Not with because they don't listen to it, but to because they listen to me ramble about kpop just like I listen to them ramble about hockey or video games. Yeah I can't get into a deep discussion with them, but I can say "yeah! this group I like released a song!" and they'll be happy with me even if they don't ever plan on listening to it.

• yep. I love kpop, but maybe a little too much. I've noticed I spend all my time watching kpop videos, at first everything was fine, I just enjoyed kpop as a hobby and enjoyed getting to know newer groups, but now it's like it's taken over my life, I feel like I have no other interests except kpop. But I've also developed a bad image of myself from kpop, for example, comparing myself to other kpop idols and their looks and weight. So it's a double edged sword, it's like kpop helps me cope but also ruins my mental health in the process.

Yes it can be a two sided equation. Do you seek out idols that maybe don't fit the mold? I know many sometimes like Hwasa because she is unconventional relative to the general kpop standard.

Don't be hard on yourself! Love yourself for who you are and what you offer!

I had to accept long ago I was never gonna be a Kai.

^^

• It's actually the opposite, I usually gravitate towards idols who are super pretty, like irene, jennie, jisoo, etc, doing that just makes me feel worse about myself and my terrible looks. I have already gotten used to the fact that I will never be irene lol, it was very hard to realize that. Loving yourself is a process, hopefully I can start.

• The negativity bothers me at times, especially on this forum. But I always have a safe place where I can go when things get too heated in the main forum. <3

As for real-life interactions, I don't really feel the need to share my Kpop stan life with other people as long as they respect my choices.

• I wonder how I might have felt when I was younger, but now I’m rocking my #hagpride :-D and I couldn’t give a toss about what people think of things I like, nor do I expect or need people to share the same interests as me.

I certainly value having a place like this available to me so I can talk about it to my heart’s content, if I want to, so I don’t feel like it’s something that’s being cut off in other areas of my life. Plus, I’m perfectly happy to refer to it at work or with other friends. I suspect my colleagues and some friends/family may think it’s a touch unusual, but my expectations are set so that I don’t anticipate them being as excited as me ever, so long as they’re not over the top derogatory.

This is a good mindset!

I'm similar in that I'm old enough I'm set in my ways. But it would be nice sometimes to have a closer in real life friend that I could shoot back and forth kpop things and they would be in the know.

You don't ever want to mention the latest group album and have a friend know what you are talking about lol? More than just superficially.

• That's awesome! Do any of your friends know that much about kpop? LIke where they know about it beyond just what you mention to them?

And you're mom sounds awesome!

My mom's similar but it's with Korean Dramas. She's knee-deep in those and has been for years since I got her started. So I can shoot the shit with her about all the latest dramas and actors and their scandals. (She knows more than me! lol)

• That's awesome! Do any of your friends know that much about kpop? LIke where they know about it beyond just what you mention to them?

And you're mom sounds awesome!

My mom's similar but it's with Korean Dramas. She's knee-deep in those and has been for years since I got her started. So I can shoot the shit with her about all the latest dramas and actors and their scandals. (She knows more than me! lol)

In London not really. But back home there are quite a few of Exo-L's and Armys.

Who like Twice as well. So we talk about it a lot.

• No not really as I’m not as passionate about it as I used to be. I’ve matured a lot as far as that goes (which pleased my daughter as she’s the one who got me into it in the first place). There’s more to life than listening to a bunch of K pop songs and also have to have other interests as well.

• I converted my mom and older sis to ARMY so I always have someone to talk to IRL.

• This is a good mindset!

I'm similar in that I'm old enough I'm set in my ways. But it would be nice sometimes to have a closer in real life friend that I could shoot back and forth kpop things and they would be in the know.

You don't ever want to mention the latest group album and have a friend know what you are talking about lol? More than just superficially.

Oh yeah, I’d definitely enjoy it if I could, for sure! I do have one really good ARMY friend who gets the brunt of my enthusiasm. I feel really lucky about that. Also, the husband is and had always been as massively into music (generally) as I am. He’s definitely ARMY mostly, but is happy to dip his toes into anything I suggest, and always gives things a shot without pre-judging. So, he doesn’t always know what I’m talking about, but I don’t feel like I’m holding myself back in front of him and I think that makes a big difference.

• The negativity bothers me at times, especially on this forum. But I always have a safe place where I can go when things get too heated in the main forum. <3

As for real-life interactions, I don't really feel the need to share my Kpop stan life with other people as long as they respect my choices.

It's good you have someplace to go! Is it another forum?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!