Why do people pretend debuting in a Big 3 is the hardest thing in the world?

• Less chances to get in doesn’t mean the requirement level is more difficult. Hard working and talented idols are spread all over the industry. If Big 3s were so strict on who they accept then every single of their idols would all be:

- top notch vocalists

- amazing dancers

- gifted songwriters or rappers

Obviously that’s not the case. Like other agencies, they look for trainees to excel in one area, if they are an ace then great. But they don’t have to be an ace to get into the door.

Just as important are things that people are born with, star power and visual/physique. Once they have a great vocalist and dancer on the team, the rest of the trainees are either:

- visual

- tall/model type

- stan attractor/naturally charming person

So a great deal just depends on luck. No matter how hard someone works on their dream to debut in a Big 3, if they don’t possess these natural gifts then they will never make it. Call it a genetic lottery. This is completely the opposite of getting into and graduating from Harvard, because actual hard study and academic work can get you to your goal.

• One of your few posts that actually make sense lol. The harvard comparison that big 3 stans always brings up is definitely false bc getting into harvard requires 100% hard work and relies entirely on meritocracy, bar corruptions of course, whereas to get into big 3 companies there are many other factors that have nothing to do with hard work at all.

• That does make sense. As long as the "main" positions are filled, the rest will just up to the agency to choose whoever they prefer. I don't think they choose based on who works harder.

• oh shut up getting into big3 groups is not easy there's dozens maybe thousands of people over the years who didn't pass to debut in these groups yes big3 may not be the best of the best but most of the time they are no other companies touching SM vocalists no one touching YG rappers and JYP has always had successful girl groups

Edited once, last by reiusagi ().

• The competition is bigger than for any other non big 3 company because many more talented people want to get into a top company. And when you become a trainee it's never guaranteed you'll make your debut, that's where the much harder work begins because they're definitely very picky about which members to put in a line up

• The competition is bigger than for any other non big 3 company because many more talented people want to get into a top company. And when you become a trainee it's never guaranteed you'll make your debut, that's where the much harder work begins because they're definitely very picky about which members to put in a line up

obviously Big 3 are more picky because they have more to choose from. But in the end it comes down to age + looks + height + charm at various degrees once the obligatory talent is acquired. And to actually get to debut they have to fit a certain mold for the group the company is preparing

Big 3 trainees and non-Big 3 trainees all work equally hard. But them making it is mostly outside of their control and based on their nature

• Wow you aren’t actually trolling on this one. U made some very good points.

For me I believe this is the criteria for most kpop companies

Visuals: 50%

Charms/Star power: 30%

Music talent: 20%

Most of the time the visuals are the priority as they believe they can train the really good looking trainee to a certain level where they can debut as an ok dancer or singer. It’s pretty rare for an idol to be selected at the audition just fully based on music talent.

• I thought it was kinda obvious that K-pop companies are looking at the whole package of traits and talents that'll contribute to idol success.

And that doesn't just mean vocals and dance, but also variety talents, performance skills, songwriting/composing, visuals, stan attraction and more, depending on what a company is focusing on and what mix of talents and traits want for a group.

However, with the Big 3 companies they'll have more trainees, so the competition is stronger: it's as if you're competing in a contest with 100 contestants vs competing in a contest with 1,000-10,000 contestants.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Why do people keep pretending that those debuting in the Big3 aren’t hard working? :/

This, all trainees work hard to debut and getting selected because of visuals and other traits that aren't necessarily linked to music isn't something unique to big companies.

• invalidating the hard work of big3 artists is like saying that getting admission into MIT and some local unreputed colleges in your area takes the same skill set and hardwork

• invalidating the hard work of big3 artists is like saying that getting admission into MIT and some local unreputed colleges in your area takes the same skill set and hardwork

Oh please a LARGE amount of “big 3” idols barley even have any impressive talent.

It’s not harder because it’s more talent or the trainees are more skilled, it’s “harder” because it’s more competition. Since the big 3 are reputable and typical build a solid fanbase before even debuting more idols see it as ideal to try and audition and make it there first.

your comparison makes zero sense lmao. Even the posters above you admit that all companies, big 3 or not, look at a variety of factors to choose their trainees, it doesn’t depend on just talents & hard work, so where is the proof for your statement that getting into big 3 requires “a different skills set and hard work” that yall big 3 stans love to invent to make big 3 idols into this level of superiority compared to idols from smaller companies, since after all “my faves got into the harvard of kpop companies, yours got rejected hahaha”? lmao. Having to face stiffer competition due to the sheer number of applicants is definitely what makes getting into big 3 companies more difficult, but to say “hard work” and more talents/skill sets are what decide whether you get to debut in big 3 or not is pure delusion

Edited 2 times, last by Whi ().

• It is harder compared with any other company , the competition is way bigger than smaller and middle companies, you have this smrookies girls training for 7+ years and still not debuting

• It is harder compared with any other company , the competition is way bigger than smaller and middle companies, you have this smrookies girls training for 7+ years and still not debuting

Maybe it’s not harder as the smaller companies have less money or doesn’t have a bullitproof strategy from trainee to market?

I don’t think it’s easy period to make it into the popworld. Or to stay there.

Freaking not easy to get into Harvard without money, connections or a super brain either 🤪.

Edited once, last by Millano ().

I didnt know MIT accepts students based on visuals.

• Oh please a LARGE amount of “big 3” idols barley even have any impressive talent.

It’s not harder because it’s more talent or the trainees are more skilled, it’s “harder” because it’s more competition. Since the big 3 are reputable and typical build a solid fanbase before even debuting more idols see it as ideal to try and audition and make it there first.

Yep also including the 4th company of the “bigs” lmao. Big3 is so outdated. Should be big4 now, and they definitely are included in ur statement

• yes they do. They accept what’s a “visually pleasing” roster of student body. Therefore, they will even consider a less than stellar and poor student as long as they have an interesting family background coming from minority.

So you are LITERALLY comparing minorities from unprivileged backgrounds to visuals in Korea who won the face lottery, where even office jobs require people to have their photo on their resume?

I rest my case.

• So you are LITERALLY comparing minorities from unprivileged backgrounds to visuals in Korea who won the face lottery, where even office jobs require people to have their photo on their resume?

I rest my case.

Face lottery or money for plastic surgery lottery 😋

• I agree with you and I don't know how to feel about that, lol

It's always the university entrance examples when we talk about that. LMAO

There have been quite a few instances when idols who are not more talented than small agencies idols debuted so it takes more than just talent.

• The idols in big3 aren't all about visuals lol.. That's plastic surgery which all your idols undergo whether they're from a small company or a big one. I'm talking about the basic skill set. And it's not about being priviliged or unpriviliged. One who has the will finds his/her own way to accomplish their goals lol.

• This thread contains 60 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!