(Poll) Subunits Are A Waste of Time....

• Sub Units Are A Waste of Time 52

1. No (42) 81%
    2. Yes (10) 19%

I think sub units are an utter waste of time and resources. You're better off just doing solo projects.

Otherwise, a sub unit comes off as half finished songs from the original group.

UNLESS you have members who would struggle to carry a solo project on their own, I think sub units are a waste of time.

ESPECIALLY if the original group only has four or five members. I don't have an issue with sub unit SONGS on an album tho.

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• Agreed especially for a 4 member group like BP

But I think it's okay to have sub-unit album tracks as long as they won't be promoted

A jenlisa sub-unit track will give me the rap song I desire from BP

A cheasoo sub-unit will give us a full on vocal based song

• No.

Kpop groups are usually larger in size, it is difficult to make songs that fit all the members.

Having sub units gives them a chance to experiment and actually make songs that fit the members more. Solos are a chance for individual members to show their style. Both are great imo.

Having collabs with subunits rather than whole groups is even better.

• Highly disagree. Not everyone fits a particular concept. I'd rather see an edited subunit where each person plays a vital role than have members be filler just for the sake of being present. Forcing a restriction (in this case incorporating more people than ideal for the situation) just limits creative freedom.

I think this applies to so many things outside of Kpop and music in general. Sometimes different concepts require different things, and often less is more.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• Official Post

Extreme disagreement.

Subunits are great ways for members with good chemistry to experiment with new genres and styles that wouldn't fit the group's color.

and this isn't even touching on the NCT units

• 100% disagree.

In BTS for example, you usually can have a full rap-line subunit with the rap line, and a full vocal subunit with the vocal line. This is a good reason to have a subunit.

But beyond that, isn't it nice to see what is the result of a few members working together ? I think it's fun. What would they come up with for the lyrics ? The production ? The overall feeling ?

• Let me retort with the following

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    (any unit could go here)

Without subunits we wouldn't have this absolute banger

• I highly disagree for many of the reasons covered. Sub units allow groups to experiment with other styles and genres, as well as potentially maximizing members’ skills (such as a rap-driven subunit off a group known more its vocals or a vocal driven sub unit that allows for big ballads without shoving in a random rap to ensure everyone has a part.)

The EXO-CBX sub unit is different not only to main EXO, but different to the styles on Chen’s or Baek’s solos. Same with the RV or Astro sub units.

The NCT U sub unit is the best example of this, with specific groupings to suit the song (all rappers on Misfit, all vocals on From Home, dance and performance emphasis on 90s Love, a combination of all of this on Make A Wish.)

Sub units can also serve to help less obvious purposes. I was just commenting this on another thread about the recent WayV sub of Kun and Xiaojun. Ten described them appropriately as the “ballad unit.” Although WayV has done ballads, 4 of the 7 members are rappers so it makes sense to spin off a pair of the vocalists.

Their voices blend together wonderfully, however Xiaojun has the stronger, more powerful voice and range BUT he has also only been working professionally for two years. Kun has a three year head start, plus he serves as the leader of the group and often handles interviews. You can see in their interviews how Kun helps manage a successful and engaging interview and Xiaojun has talked about how he feel safe and reassured with Kun beside him. This is another way that a sub unit can make more sense than a solo. Similarly a sub unit could provide a balance of shy member and outgoing member.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Anticipate Even Of Day's comeback

External Content youtu.be

• Emmm not when we have TaeTiSEo :|:|:|

• You do make a point about a Rose/ Jisoo sub unit as it could be entirely different from what we usually get from BP.

Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIF - Kakyoin Cherry Cherry Licking GIFs          JenniesBTCH on Twitter:       Yena and capybara - 9GAG

• Absolutely not a waste of time and resources. Orange Caramel did better than After School and with less members. Others sub-units were also successful and enable the fans to see a new side of some members in the group that they love.

I guess there are some good reasons for having a sub unit but I don't think ALL groups need them.

• I guess sub units are okay of you have a zillion members....

I guess I'm only thinking of them in the context of EXO, I really like all of the members so if there's more of them the happier I am. Like I enjoy EXO-CBX more than any of Baek/Chen's solo albums for example (although I love Baek's solo output too).

I think I would still like EXO-SC more than a Sehun or Chanyeol solo release too, although I do think in Chanyeol's case especially I want him to get a solo just because he was publicly advocating one for so long and still SM wouldn't give it to him, that's the same reason I wanted Kai to get one too.

For other groups I guess I would like solos more but that's because for almost all other groups there's just 1 or 2 members who catch my interest and what are the chances that the unit would consist of them.

• I guess I'm only thinking of them in the context of EXO, I really like all of the members so if there's more of them the happier I am. Like I enjoy EXO-CBX more than any of Baek/Chen's solo albums for example (although I love Baek's solo output too).

I think I would still like EXO-SC more than a Sehun or Chanyeol solo release too, although I do think in Chanyeol's case especially I want him to get a solo just because he was publicly advocating one for so long and still SM wouldn't give it to him, that's the same reason I wanted Kai to get one too.

For other groups I guess I would like solos more but that's because for almost all other groups there's just 1 or 2 members who catch my interest and what are the chances that the unit would consist of them.

Well, that makes sense. I guess there are perks to having sub units but I think it really depends on the strengths of each group. EXO is fine example of a group that could it all (Solo/ sub unit).

• This thread contains 19 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!