Is "Boys Over Flowers" one of the essential K-dramas everyone should see?

• Neah, I survived even without it. I think there are better dramas that can attract people. It's been more than 10 years since it was released, so yeah, it's outdated.

(Tbh, I never understood the hype for Lee Minho, but just ignore me).

• It might be cringy but it is much better than most k dramas with high replay value

And dont forget it started second hallyu wave, even more than 2nd gen kpop

Lee min ho became a pan asia superstar and has maintained his popularity even after 12 years ( his popularity only 2nd to BTS and BP ). He can sell concert fan meets like any idols lol.. Hate him all you want, but his popularity is no joke.

It introduced new gen to k drama. At one point everyone loved it. Even till to this day, it has high resale value every year ( like friends )

• No please it maybe iconic but the storyline and acting is trash.. dont even start about the cringe..

If you wanna get someone hooked with a light-hearted less cringe half-assed drama then show them true beauty.. at least the styling is better there

Bof cast can still act better over true beauty cast anyday lol. Bof set fashion trends back in 2009. We can't compare fashion of today with old. Back then, that show set fashion trends all over asia

And success , impact wise tb isn't even close to what bof is even after 12 years

• Bof cast can still act better over true beauty cast anyday lol. Bof set fashion trends back in 2009. We can't compare fashion of today with old. Back then, that show set fashion trends all over asia

And success , impact wise tb isn't even close to what bof is even after 12 years

yeah and bof is still hard to get through like 5 episodes and we arent living in 2009 anymore....

Lee minho's acting was pure cringe there and again hyunjoong was just cold stare boy, the other 2 actors outdid them mains

True beauty aint a masterpiece but atleast its way funnier and less cringe.. and as a female lead gayoung does pretty good, and so does inyeop

• yeah and bof is still hard to get through like 5 episodes and we arent living in 2009 anymore....

Lee minho's acting was pure cringe there and again hyunjoong was just cold stare boy, the other 2 actors outdid them mains

True beauty aint a masterpiece but atleast its way funnier and less cringe.. and as a female lead gayoung does pretty good, and so does inyeop

Ofcourse we r not in living in 2009

In 2032 , 2021 fashion will look bad too. So we can't compare the styles of different eras . But bof had huge impact on fashion which tb is nowhere close to

Thats d point

Regarding lmh acting, i guess we have to disagree. He was much better than anything tb actor acted with forever wooden eunwoo and whoever others 2 are. Lmh could acyally mobe his facial expressions. I agree with parallel lead though and lead actress.

But 2nd lead and supporting actors made up for it anyways. Bof got a actual storyline and hookedup audience even till to this day, which tb lacked lol. Tb got no story . Well 2009 bof is still remembered in 2021 . But noone gonna remember tb in 2032

• It's a gateway drama into the typical K-Drama tropes

"Plain jane girl has rich arrogant guy fall in love"

"Evil parent tries to sabatoge"

"Love rival is main guy's good friend"

"2 female love rivals. One is the evil one that never had a chance and the other is the one that the plain jane feels guilty for"

~ ω

• literally, everyone I showed bof has either never got into kdramas or cursed me for it.. and I personally couldn't get through it either.. it straight up sucked with the corny scenarios..

As op asked is it essential? I gave my opinion on how I think even TB is better than it and its definitely not essential.. thats my opinion.. towards OP..

if you like bof then good for you and you can explain your point to OP lol

who cares if a drama is iconic if it isnt fun to watch and cant keep up pulled till the end..

• It's a gateway drama into the typical K-Drama tropes

"Plain jane girl has rich arrogant guy fall in love"

"Evil parent tries to sabatoge"

"Love rival is main guy's good friend"

"2 female love rivals. One is the evil one that never had a chance and the other is the one that the plain jane feels guilty for"

And lead actress always falling for bad boy with a sad back story or lack of family love in life. So she gonna heal his internal scars lol😂 Back in teens, i always wanted to date bad boys bcoz of such dramas😭😭

They are no good in real world. These dramas 😭😭

• In a thread regarding bof, you brought tb, which isn't related to it

So i gave my opinion on tb which i find crap. With lead actors incapability to give a single expression. No wonder flop in ratings . Thats it.

In real world , bof started 2nd hallyu wave altogether. Brought kdrama back to popularity. Majority matters😊

• And lead actress always falling for bad boy with a sad back story or lack of family love in life. So she gonna heal his internal scars lol😂 Back in teens, i always wanted to date bad boys bcoz of such dramas😭😭

They are no good in real world. These dramas 😭😭

LORD KNOWS HOW MUCH I WANTED MY OWN BoF relationship but like now it's like ???

HE LITERALLY ORDERED PEOPLE TO PHYSICALLY ABUSE/BULLY HER

like girl w h y

~ ω

• LORD KNOWS HOW MUCH I WANTED MY OWN BoF relationship but like now it's like ???

HE LITERALLY ORDERED PEOPLE TO PHYSICALLY ABUSE/BULLY HER

like girl w h y

It is same here with indian dramas. There was a popular indian drama Madhubala, where hero nearly get leads father dead , marries her for revenge after she slaps him 4 times, lovetraps her too , so he can dump her during true marriage😭 and still she heals his dark past lol.

I remember fighting actress's fans everyday defending my fave hero, justifying his actions and blaming female leads lol😂

Seriously i feel embarrassed 😭😂

• It is same here with indian dramas. There was a popular indian drama Madhubala, where hero nearly get leads father dead , marries her for revenge after she slaps him 4 times, lovetraps here too😭 and still she heals his dark past lol.

I remember fighting actress's fans everyday defending my fave hero, justifying his actions and blaming female leads lol😂

Seriously i feel embarrassed 😭😂

OMFG I HAVE WATCHED THAT.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• OMFG I HAVE WATCHED THAT.

Grr i hated when he blamed her for miscarriage. I used to defend him blindly before lol. Yes i had crush on him big time❤. Even when he dumped her at altar😐. He got such savage dialogues😂

She become movie star to save him from bankruptcy and he blamed her. I had enough😭

But first year was good. He had to put efforts to win her affections. She didn't forgive him easily after love trap game.

• In a thread regarding bof, you brought tb, which isn't related to it

So i gave my opinion on tb which i find crap. With lead actors incapability to give a single expression. No wonder flop in ratings . Thats it.

In real world , bof started 2nd hallyu wave altogether. Brought kdrama back to popularity. Majority matters😊

God I am not interested in discussing with you... I am bringing in TB to tell to OP not you lmao

let me give my opinion to OP in peace its not meant for you

you can like or boast about bof all you want in your own reply without quoting me

I am in kdrama and kpop since almost a decade now so I know this history lessons already but doesn't matter its still shit and I will keep finding it shit

• Yes tb is indeed . I know right lol

• not necessarily,, it's outdated and has a somewhat problematic content today. i've watched k-dramas for some time and i've never watched it because of some clips i've seen from it

• no, because it was your typical romcom drama that only got popular because fangirls ogling over LMH. Plot was dumb and acting was mediocre.

• No.

I havent watch BOF, because the storyline isnt my type, and I dont think im missing out. it looks like a Korean mediocre version of mean girls to me, with boys involved or something.

Iconic? yes but not essential

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!