Former CLC’s Elkie Calls Out CUBE Entertainment In An Exclusive Tell-All

• spacer.png

Former CLC‘s Elkie recently took an exclusive interview with a Hong Kong newspaper, Mingpao. In the interview, she revealed the real reason for her departure from CUBE Entertainment and CLC.

Elkie claims that even though she had worked hard in order to debut, there were people that still criticized her despite her efforts. Although she would not call it discrimination due to her status as a foreigner, Elkie does acknowledge that she had fewer opportunities given to her as compared to Koreans.

Although I was mentally prepared for a tough road ahead, a lot of unexpected things happened. I’m optimistic so I always say yes no matter what other people say, but some people called me fake.

— Elkie

When she first debuted, a composer allegedly told her she was “really dumb” and “totally useless” which brought her down. Elkie also called out the system for affecting her health.

The most extreme incident was when I couldn’t sleep for several days and wasn’t even able to remove my makeup. The longest time I’ve had dance practice was for 16 hours straight, from noon to late at night. I was so tired that I walked like a zombie.

— Elkie

Elkie also pointed out that CUBE Entertainment was not providing the appropriate resources for CLC, culminating in less than stellar results. In particular, Elkie calls the giving away of the song “La Vie en Rose” to IZ*ONEan opportunity that was taken away from the CLC girls. CLC had finished recording “La Vie en Rose” before it was given to IZ*ONE and CLC released “NO” instead.

The song and opportunity that originally belonged to us were given to someone else and the situation felt so helpless. The 7 of us worked really hard, but the agency took away our opportunities. I think the agency was way too out of line. I feel so disappointed. CLC did not have releases frequently…sometimes it took a year to have a new song or album. When the agency said they will not give CLC any more resources, I thought there was no point for me to stay. As an artist I just wanted to meet with fans through my works. If nothing can be done, there’s nothing I can do to repay the fans, and I can’t accept that.

— Elkie

On the other hand, Elkie maintains that she still keeps in contact with the other CLC members and that they have a good relationship. She even offered for them to have a room at her place when they come to visit her in Mainland China. Previously, Elkie had filed for a termination of her contract with CUBE Entertainment, resulting in her departure from the group.

Source

• As much as I love IZ*ONE having La Vie En Rose as their debut (IZ*ONE and CLC are both my bias groups <3), sometimes I really wonder how things might have turned out different if CLC has that song instead

Seunghee slayed that chorus

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm glad that the members are still having a good relationship with her

:pepelove1::pepelove1:

• tbh, don't blame Cube for cutting off resources for CLC. At some point, you have to cut your losses. Even before the LVER incident, Cube had already given CLC 4 years and 9 EPs to get semblance of success.

• No difference, Izone sold the song, sadly the songs aren't selling by themselves unless they go viral, the brand sells.

• CUBE's ass getting exposed with the way they handled Soojin's scandal and now this..whew this is what I love to see.

Now If only HyunA would spill the rest of the beans she started to spill after she left, (especially now that she owns all her music again) :teeheek:

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• No difference, Izone sold the song, sadly the songs aren't selling by themselves unless they go viral, the brand sells.

Indeed. The song most likely would have charted like all their other songs if CLC released it. The song did well because it was izone, not because the song was that great.

• For sure, La Vie en Rose was a huge blow. I don't understand under which circumstances Cube let go a song they were already working on. What did they even gain? Did Iz*One's company paid big bucks for this song? Why did they want this one in particular? It's just weird.

Now to be fair, I think Elkie is not totally right when she says Cube didn't give them a lot of comebacks. It's mostly the years 2018 and 2020 that were pretty arid in terms of content. Unfortunately at this point, CLC was already lost in the mix, and (G)I-DLE's rapid success probably drew all the management's attention. At least their discography is impeccable.

• For sure, La Vie en Rose was a huge blow. I don't understand under which circumstances Cube let go a song they were already working on. What did they even gain? Did Iz*One's company paid big bucks for this song? Why did they want this one in particular? It's just weird.

Now to be fair, I think Elkie is not totally right when she says Cube didn't give them a lot of comebacks. It's mostly the years 2018 and 2020 that were pretty arid in terms of content. Unfortunately at this point, CLC was already lost in the mix, and (G)I-DLE's rapid success probably drew all the management's attention. At least their discography is impeccable.

From what i heard since it was big issue back then Cube didn't sold the song, the song never belonged to cube in first place, the producer used to be under cube but left the company and took the song with them, not sure how the contracts for buying songs work but maybe cube should had paid for the song before the producer leaving.

• I don't know. It's not like Cube didn't try with them at all. They had great songs but it's just that CLC lacked that something. Maybe the mistake was the song they released after hobgoblin. They were the talk of the town during hobgoblin but killed the momentum with "where are you". It's a pity yeah, but you're gonna get set aside if you don't make enough money for the company. That's life.

• From what i heard since it was big issue back then Cube didn't sold the song, the song never belonged to cube in first place, the producer used to be under cube but left the company and took the song with them, not sure how the contracts for buying songs work but maybe cube should had paid for the song before the producer leaving.

Sure, it makes more sense this way. I always found weird this story of Cube selling a song to Iz*One. Like, for what purpose? So yes, it's more likely they never owned the song in the first place. Which leads me to another questions though: why did they start working on song they didn't secure the rights for? I remember Yeeun saying in an interview that it's commonplace in the industry. But maybe she was just in PR mode. Anyway it must have been so demoralizing for CLC. Even though, if they didn't have such a setback, Soyeon might have never made No for them.

• I don't know. It's not like Cube didn't try with them at all. They had great songs but it's just that CLC lacked that something. Maybe the mistake was the song they released after hobgoblin. They were the talk of the town during hobgoblin but killed the momentum with "where are you". It's a pity yeah, but you're gonna get set aside if you don't make enough money for the company. That's life.

But it ain't just clc. 4minute died because of bad sales despite being one of the biggest girl groups of the 2nd gen, they let beast leave who was their biggest money maker of all time , pentagon also also have pretty mediocre physical sales when compared to groups on cube's caliber.

• Now If only HyunA would spill the rest of the beans she started to spill after she left, (especially now that she owns all her music again) :teeheek:

right??? Her and also the other 4Minute girls. I truly believe they only gave Hyuna a re-sign contract which is what caused the split.

~ ω

• right??? Her and also the other 4Minute girls. I truly believe they only gave Hyuna a re-sign contract which is what caused the split.

Well they said that in interviews that Cube only offered HyunA an resign and the other girls resented her for it for a bit. I find it sad as they all stated they were super close and tried to include each other in their solos. I hope they can make peace with each other if they haven't already

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• how many nugu groups have we seen with an amazing song that could have been a hit it was released by a popular group. If Clc got the song it dosen't gaurantee them a successful comback

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!