Is NewJeans debut single selling less on japan than Kepler embarrassing and a flop?

• Is NewJeans debut sales on japan a flop? 30

1. Yeah, is the most embarrassing moment for a top girl group ever (27) 90%
    2. Nah, Min Hee Jin shaman witchcraft is forcing me to pretend is not (3) 10%

Ok guys let's face it, no matter how much hybe spend on payola to give newjeans high streams numbers on spotify japan, they doing collabs with japanese artists like murakami and fujiwara to create buzz, or how mhj make them leech off billie eilish presentation on music station, or how hybe fraudulently sneak them into kohaku uta gassen besides actual stars like yoasobi or misamo, they getting outsold by lesserafim and ive is just logical and natural, I mean just sakura by herself can outsold most kpop girl groups and unlike newjeans anything ive achieved on japan was organic and real, so their sales of course would be higher.

But 38k copies of debut on japan is a damn flop so huge I can barely put it into words, I mean even momoland 6 years ago did 18k and it was more than good for a group like momolad back them, but 20k more sales for a group with everything newjeans got is embarrassing.

Firefox_Screenshot_2024-06-26T16-24-26.914Z.png

And then we have kepler, a mid tier girl group nobody would put in a top 10 of active girl groups doing more sales every time than the most dominant girl group ever in a market newjeans got so much privilege, a proof that you can't just fraudulently succeed in every market.

Firefox_Screenshot_2024-06-26T16-07-00.221Z.png

So let's be real, newjeans japan debut flopped, if you are not a cultist you won't deny it, but people will just pretend I'm just picking on them and beating a dead horse if I said, so I want to consult all the excellent and admirable users of this forum to say their verdict, newjeans debut flopped or not?

• OP; If you fail, try again, that is the right spirit.

• No because Kepler has strong fanbase in Japan since debut. All their albums are certified platinum there.

Do you mean certified gold? Well yes that's good actually but I would consider kepler the baseline of success of japan, so newjeans doing way worse is by all means flopping in my opinion.

idk, I guess they didn't do as well as expected, but not really a flop. Perhaps "relative flop" is more appropriate .

With all the numbers hybe got them doing fraudulently last year and sneaking them into kohaku uta gassen as one of the main attractions one year after their debut and without even debuting on japan the expectation was to blow twice numbers out off the chart or at very least do izone numbers, 38k is a catastrophe. Ive with way less privilege annihilated them in that market, is pitiful.

• No? Kepler have made their careers by being massively popular in Japan. This isn't even new news.

I'm the one who posted the data for how each top girl group did in Japan, and I myself said that Kepler and LSF sell the most albums, while NewJeans are by far the best girl group on the charts.

There is no tea being spilled in this thread, and now the obsession with NewJeans is officially pathetic and degenerate.

This is a very small echo chamber of an Internet forum that I use to kill time because I still prefer message boards over social media and reddit. Trying this hard to get a "W" against me makes you a loser in real life, champ.

Go touch some grass.

• I can't say much bc BP also used to sell not so much, but their concerts there were always a success. As long as they get a Japanese fb strong enough to tour then I don't see it as flopping.

Kep1er does concerts on Tokyo Dome?? I'm asking bc idk and you mentioned them bc right now NJ are doing a fanmeeting in a 55k stadium even though they aren't the strongest in the physical market.

Digital wise they seem to be doing good too.

𝙱𝙰𝙱𝚈 𝙸'𝙼 𝙰 𝚁𝙾𝙲𝙺𝚂𝚃𝙰𝚁

• Tokkie spend all the money on fan meeting and merchandises.

Like, this is probably the biggest promoted debut ever in Japan.

Can't remember a more promoted girl group prior their japan debut, this intensifies the failure of this debut even further.

Cheap attempt of mediaplay with a normal line constantly getting cut by the streets lol

• This just makes us side eye those tickets sales mate

images2355.jpg

Look at the hybe payola

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

79c.gif

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• Look at the hybe payola

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

79c.gif

I love their lightsticks

• I didn't know that :sweat:

Keplar, Ive and LSF were created with the Japanese market in mind and have some pretty heavy advantages on them that most girl groups, even NewJeans will never have.

Them not outselling is a given, not something to be ashamed of

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• kepler are literally one of the most popular groups in japan AND they have japanese members.

i think people underestimate how having japanese members is a huge advantage for the japanese market.

obviously there’s korean groups that do well without them but no one can deny that having them in a group’s lineup is like a shortcut to building a strong japanese fan base.

thats why so many groups debuting these days has at least one japanese member.

anyway, i think newjeans have done well and selling less than kepler isn’t the drag you think it is especially when their japanese fan base literally carries their career.

• The Hallyu wave never returned to how it was in 2nd gen

I can't think of a single girl group since 3rd gen that has a strong Japanese fanbase without Japanese members. And then there's having ex akb, Izone members or coming from a survival show heavily pandered to Japan on top of that. :meme-what:

I can't think of a single girl group since 3rd gen that has a strong Japanese fanbase without Japanese members. :meme-what:

exactly! i think after twice’s success in japan, it kind of became the norm to have japanese members because it’s a huge advantage in the market.

I can't think of a single girl group since 3rd gen that has a strong Japanese fanbase without Japanese members. :meme-what:

One could say that NewJeans being so popular in Japan was completely unexpected. I know it was for me. I remember my early praise threads being extremely Korea centric, and then later adjusted to include their Billboard achievements, but the success in Japan came out of nowhere.

It made no sense.

They had zero Japanese members, zero Japanese songs, had done zero legitimate promotions there, and then I look and see Ditto is the best charting 4th Generation girl group song by a mile.

And now they're selling out Tokyo Dome easily.

That is legitimately insane, and you cannot attribute ANY of the Tokyo Dome ticket sales to their recent Japanese promotions, because those tickets sold out well before their Japanese promotions started.

We have never seen a girl group gain this kind of traction in Japan with such minimal promotions before-hand, and without relying on Japanese members to do it.

• exactly! i think after twice’s success in japan, it kind of became the norm to have japanese members because it’s a huge advantage in the market.

Absolutely

With perfect timing too. Chinese members and the Chinese market were no longer viable, and in comes Twice opening up Japan for the new generation

Cherry Bullet (rip) even copied their lineup. Would we have even had Izone without twice?

• can't sell albums but selling out domes

NewJeans we love you

79c.gif

no drag at all but it's the opposite of sserafim strangely.

genuinly without any hill feelings, (and i'm mostly using ssera example since OP cited them to drag NJs sales), if they were selling 150k albums in japan, they should be able to do TDs left and right. :meme-what:

because selling a lot of albums means that you have a big fandom right?

why aren't they touring in japan then?

they would makes TONES of bucks. specially at a time when hybe needs money since bts are in the army and most of their sub labels are bleeding money?

or are their jpn sells actually widely inflated? even with 2 japanese members and 2 very popular ex izone members?

no attack on ssera but bang is a convinced fraud so that wouldn't be a surprise really.

and to not target ssera specifically, sales inflation is really a thing in the industry in general.

so really, along cfs (their quality rather than quantity), genuine moments of virality etc, touring is one of the most reliable source to weight in a groups real success. and it’s level.

digitals can be bought, sales can be inflated but touring is much harder to traficate.

and njs ATE. 110k with a fanmeet can you imagine?

• Why you always gotta do this :sweatr:

There's nothing wrong with playing it safe. NewJeans is the anomaly here by not working their way up to Domes tbh. Le Sserafim can easily do a dome tour and likely will next year. Ive and Aespa did the same thing

• I have no doubt NewJeans have Japan and Korea on lockdown now. They could tour there in the biggest venues easily.

The real question is how they will tour in the West and where exactly.

I think stadiums are too ambitious to start, so big arenas are much more likely.

• Why you always gotta do this :sweatr:

There's nothing wrong with playing it safe. NewJeans is the anomaly here by not working their way up to Domes tbh. Le Sserafim can easily do a dome tour and likely will next year. Ive and Aespa did the same thing

Well no offense but they had a hard time filling up a 10k avenue in korea. While selling around a million album i think... (the girls are innocent of course, they are not at fault)

I don't deny that they are popular and doing well but 150k is baffling really. With 70k only apparently even Ive can do TD. So what has kept Ssera from doing it already?

But regardless what im actually saying is that album sales can be widely inflated so it's not the best tool to quantify true success even less to use it as an irrevocable metric to determine an accurate ranking of groups popularity.

• Well no offense but they had a hard time filling up a 10k avenue in korea. While selling around a million album i think... (the girls are innocent of course, they are not at fault)

Their fanmeet did end up selling out and they are still a girl group. Only a handful of ggs can even do KSPO Dome and far fewer have done anything than that

They sold 60k tickets for the Japanese leg of their last tour, that's not bad at alll, Fame Rises just seemed really rushed and short for a tour

I think Japanese sales are probably the most consistent

• Of the top 5 most popular girl groups, LSF have sold the most albums in Japan and they have Sakura (not to mention Kazuha). I don't think we need to be concerned about their ability to fill out Tokyo Dome when given the chance.

Multiple girl groups have strong physicals in Japan (some more than NewJeans like Kepler or LSF) and some have already done Tokyo Dome (like aespa), but NewJeans is distinguishing themselves with their unprecedented popularity on the charts for a group that hasn't made an effort to promote in Japan until literally this month, with zero Japanese members or pre-existing fanbases like IVE or LSF (from Izone obviously).

It's funny how some people didn't know how popular Kepler is in Japan. They're getting no love in Korea, so they have to be sustaining themselves somewhere.

• This thread contains 121 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!