K-Pop would've been fine without BTS

• I don't care if this offends, and it may seem obvious to some, but I just felt like saying this, especially after seeing Army demanding apologies from South Korea and declaring South Korea would be nugu as a country without BTS.

Do I think BTS opened a lot of doors for K-Pop in the West? Sure. But it's not like the industry was on life support before BTS got big. I was a K-Pop fan for half a decade before BTS took off.

K-Pop groups were already starting to become more active in the West before then too. Hell, that's how I actually saw BTS perform in person. They were in the KCON NY 2016 line-up (of course I was there to see Mamamoo, not BTS).

BTS are living legends, but even if they didn't escape nugudom and disbanded, K-Pop as we know it wouldn't be dramatically different. Butterfly Effect probably kicks in and some other group fills the void :eyes:

• Saying this when you Stan NJ is hilarious :flop: Today you have been so creative

K-Pop would've also been fine without NewJeans.

Just a lot more boring and less innovative :pepe-shrug:

I was legit about to quit the K-Pop life before NewJeans debuted. Now everyone is graced with my presence for at least another 7 years :boompepe:

• It would have been better they gave birth to noise rap and made it acceptable to not have great vocalist for BG's anymore.

Stray kids ateez all these trash groups copied BTS formular

BTS obviously are a lot better than those groups but they inspired a bunch of bad groups

I always wanted Big Bang to have a big breakthrough in the West.

Given what happened with a certain member, it's a good thing they didn't.

• Without bts, Lee Jieun's stranglehold on KPop would have been insurmountable.

• MHJ would've just gone to a different company. NJ is her baby, not Hybe's. That's why we have the huge civil war

but that's hindsight my friend

we know now what we know because it's happened

who is to say without hybe minji doesn't go to SME or somewhere else (or NJ as it's currently formed remains that way if hybe does not exist)

I mean if hybe doesn't exist because BTS didn't exist there wouldn't even be a civil war

• What?

It's not hindsight. It's literally what MHJ herself said.

She had numerous options and settled on Hybe. We also know most of the NewJeans members only auditioned at Hybe BECAUSE of MHJ.

• What?

It's not hindsight. It's literally what MHJ herself said.

She had numerous options and settled on Hybe. We also know most of the NewJeans members only auditioned at Hybe BECAUSE of MHJ.

does one really think that if MHJ started her own company without the benefit of anything else that NJ would still be NJ today?

maybe one could argue NJ stayed or choose hybe (ADOR) because of MHJ but during auditions they hardly knew her my friend and I'm sure Hybe's name at that point carried far more weight than MHJ

• MHJ would've just gone to a different company. NJ is her baby, not Hybe's. That's why we have the huge civil war

Njs was gonna happen regardless of who were the specific members and regardless of the label she was under.

MHJs plan of NJs was probably a long long time deep thought project of her.

• does one really think that if MHJ started her own company without the benefit of anything else that NJ would still be NJ today?

maybe one could argue NJ stayed or choose hybe (ADOR) because of MHJ but during auditions they hardly knew her my friend and I'm sure Hybe's name at that point carried far more weight than MHJ

NJ's parents are on record saying they wouldn't have let their daughters audition at Hybe if not for MHJ.

We also have MHJ on record saying Hybe only provided initial capital. Realistically, with her reputation, she would have several other options for potential investors. All the creatives behind NJ are HER people.

Yes, NJ is some form would've happened regardless of Hybe.

• NJ's parents are on record saying they wouldn't have let their daughters audition at Hybe if not for MHJ.

We also have MHJ on record saying Hybe only provided initial capital. Realistically, with her reputation, she would have several other options for potential investors. All the creatives behind NJ are HER people.

Yes, NJ is some form would've happened regardless of Hybe.

really source?

I don't disagree with the last part but I should have said NJ in it's current form (with the current makeup of the group)

• It's been an hour, there are more Armys on akp than ever before and this thread is only on page 2.

Pitiful floppage

It's because I was still too respectful of BTS. I just can't summon the same passion when it comes to talking boy groups.

I should remake this thread and instead talk about how NewJeans didn't need BTS or Hybe for any part of their success, and Hybe should consider themselves lucky MHJ chose them and they got to enjoy the benefits of the biggest K-Pop group of the 4th generation debuting under their label.

• External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:lovec:

Happy 11th Anniversary to BTS :flop::pep-pj-pink::pepe-pj-green:

• Fine probably but as developed as it is now? I beg to differ.

That's why no one is bothering with you :skull:

BTS' impact on kpop is so huge that you can divide K-pop before and after BTS and you'll see a stark difference in how companies promote, how the kpop industry operates and how K-pop fans even consume K-pop now compared to before.

[new signature coming soon but in the meantime, read the facts below]

• BTS' impact on kpop is so huge that you can divide K-pop before and after BTS and you'll see a stark difference in how companies promote, how the kpop industry operates and how K-pop fans even consume K-pop now compared to before.

:meme-trying-not-to-laugh::meme-thats-cap:

Utter nonsense. Nothing has changed about the way I consume K-Pop pre-BTS and post-BTS.

These are the kind of unhinged comments I'm talking about.

SM groups still promote like SM groups. YG groups still promote like YG groups. And JYP groups definitely haven't changed the way they promote.

The industry didn't significantly change at all. They've always tried to break through in the West. BTS was just the first GROUP to do it successfully.

What a terrible take :meme-erm:

• Kpop acts promote more on youtube now compared to on Korean TV shows which makes K-pop fans consume more than they did before. Subtitles are more easily found.

K-pop fans no longer need to do group orders to cut costs in order to get albums to their country. Voila distribution.

I can go on and on

:skull::skull:

Want me to talk about Spotify consumption? Kpop idols and the twitter accounts that were created after the paper award?

• I mean if this changes your life good for you I guess lol but those tv shows just used it cross posted on YouTube before. And fans subbed it. Even till today there are many groups that don’t get the stuff you’ve posted.

Are things more accessible… sure. Did that change some people’s lives? Yes. Certain new fans were benefited. But there are plenty of fans in kpop that still don’t even get the stuff you’ve mentioned here and guess what we’re still here.

To Yama’s point, kpop would have certainly been fine without BTS. True for any one act not just them. It’s a genre that’s successful on its own as well.

• Kpop acts promote more on youtube now

What? Plenty of groups were doing that before BTS. I've been watching MMMTV for years, fam.

Subtitles are more easily found.

You're really attributing that to BTS? Should I let MooMoo Subs know they only exist thanks to the contributions of BTS? Smh

K-pop fans no longer need to do group orders to cut costs in order to get albums to their country. Voila distribution

I never did that in the first place. Or any of my friends who are also big K-Pop fans. I also know of groups that still do group orders.

I can go on and on

Not off to a good start :meme-life-support:

• I mean if this changes your life good for you I guess lol but those tv shows just used it cross posted on YouTube before. And fans subbed it. Even till today there are many groups that don’t get the stuff you’ve posted.

Are things more accessible… sure. Did that change some people’s lives? Yes. Certain new fans were benefited. But there are plenty of fans in kpop that still don’t even get the stuff you’ve mentioned here and guess what we’re still here.

To Yama’s point, kpop would have certainly been fine without BTS. True for any one act not just them. It’s a genre that’s successful on its own as well.

Girl no I'm jUST pointing out the obvious that that user is just ignoring at this point.

:skull:

We been knew K-pop would've been fine as I said. But K-pop today ain't K-pop before. That's a fact.

• You listed mmmtv when they started a year after Bangtan bombs :skull:

And whether you did it personally or not, that doesn't deny the fact that there was a shift. :skull:

Anyway let me go.

• You listed mmmtv when they started a year after Bangtan bombs :skull:

And? Are you really delusional enough to think MMMTV only happened because of BTS's youtube content from when they were still freaking nugu? You've got to be kidding me.

Comments like those are why this thread was made. Now MMMTV wouldn't have existed if not for BTS. What in the actual hell.

• kristen-bell-smh.gif

SO NOW YOU DECIDE TO TAKE THE GLOVES OFF, AFTER I'VE BEEN CONVERTED INTO A HYBE STAN???? Why didnt you come out swinging like this when i was a Blink fightin off Army shooters 24-7 omg.

Because I had zero motivation to defend or support a Blink. I would rather watch you burn :meme-elmo-fire:

Yama really decided that "oh it's so boring fighting with SM stans Dives Fearnots Blinks Onces let me take on Army now that they areo ut of retirement"

And the best part is their faves benefitted the MOST from the said group that they said KPOP would be better without

This attitude is exactly why I'm picking a fight. Can't talk about any NewJeans accomplishment without some deranged parasocial maggot slithering into the conversation to claim said accomplishment in the name of BTS.

NewJeans would've just existed under a different label, if Hybe didn't suit MHJ's preference. Please don't forget ADOR was given to MHJ to convince her to stay with Hybe.

• BTS gave nothing to K-pop, absolutely nothing. They have become popular, but not the genre; in the world almost all K-pop groups are still unknown, with the exception of only a couple of groups. But what we have, K-pop has turned into pop from AliExpress thanks to BTS, groups are now chasing not quality, but streaming in the charts, for Korea the contribution is only from a financial point of view, from the point of view of prestige, the status of Korea has not changed at all, because jumping boys have no effect on this. What kind of positive contribution are we talking about when it is negative for the industry?

;judgingpepe:

• This thread contains 34 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!