Who fell off harder? IVE or NewJeans?

• Who fell off harder? 69

1. NewJeans (49) 71%
    2. IVE (20) 29%

With 2024 being the year of Aespa and Illit and the downfall of IVE and NewJeans I thought we could use a thread to discuss this unprecedented change of hierarchy.

The events of this year so far have been unreal and feel like a fantasy world. This is the equivalent of Red Velvet and Momoland replacing Blackpink and Twice as the top two girl grops of 3rd gen.

Yes both groups are still doing good overall but neither are invincible now. It's apparent now that NewJeans will never reach Blackpink level and IVE will never reach Twice level. To me this is a troubling sign and in the long run could be the beginning of the end for girl groups in general and a perfect time for boy groups to reassert their place as the main attraction of kpop.

• Newjeans didn't fall off they're just in an extremely precarious situation career wise IVE on the otherhand is in a slight slump because of an ill-judged comeback (baddie) slowing down their post-Love Dive momentum, but they're still in a much more stable spot compared to Newjeans since at least their company is guaranteed and the members have decently sized fanbases they aren't totally reliant on their songs hitting big with the general public.

🍒 Chee~eer~ish 🍒

giphy.gif

• Newjeans didn't fall off they're just in an extremely precarious situation career wise IVE on the otherhand is in a slight slump because of an ill-judged comeback (baddie) slowing down their post-Love Dive momentum, but they're still in a much more stable spot compared to Newjeans since at least their company is guaranteed and the members have decently sized fanbases they aren't totally reliant on their songs hitting big with the general public.

Fallen off might be the wrong term. More like stumbled I guess.

• NewJeans will be dominating the charts with two songs like they always do, if not for aespa dropping potentially the biggest hit of their careers a week earlier.

And they're starting to make moves on Spotify.

Meanwhile IVE... they'll do better next time. The timing was just off.

• NewJeans will be dominating the charts with two songs like they always do, if not for aespa dropping potentially the biggest hit of their careers a week earlier.

And they're starting to make moves on Spotify.

Meanwhile IVE... they'll do better next time. The timing was just off.

I know the controversy has had an impact on NJ but the 2nd year (or is this NJ 3rd year? i've lost track) of a top group is very important. This is the time when they should be pulling away from the competition by a country miles. Not letting a rookie and an older group catch up to them as we near the finish line.

• We are prisoner of the moment lol.

I say both are fine. NewJeans still have 1 comeback to go in a month and they have both songs in the Top 3 On korean chart. Although spotify is not doing so hot, but they could very well smash next month.

IVE korean charting is still good but their international charting is worrisome.

• I know the controversy has had an impact on NJ but the 2nd year (or is this NJ 3rd year? i've lost track) of a top group is very important. This is the time when they should be pulling away from the competition by a country miles. Not letting a rookie and an older group catch up to them as we near the finish line.

They haven't.

ILLIT had one viral song. That's nowhere close to catching up to what NewJeans did in two years.

aespa sitting on potentially the biggest hit of their career would slow down any song from any other artist. SN's numbers are insane. NJ isn't going to close the gap and pass them in one weekend.

The doomposting is excessive.

Twice never hit the digital peaks of Cheer Up + TT ever again, and other girl groups were competitive with them. That didn't mean they fell off after 2016.

• I've just always thought the phrase "What have you done for me lately" is a good measure. Also the "You're only as popular as your last release". Or something along the lines of that.

• By the end of the year/ next year a new set of girl groups will debut and New Jeans and IVE will have lost their spots. I said this in a previous thread :!: there’s no more stability in Kpop! One company doesn’t need 4-5 different girl groups :?: it’s ridiculous!

New jeans is not untouchable and will be replaced maybe by Illit maybe be another group. By next year with Smngg and Tngg and another HYBE and Jyp gg the order will change again. Newer group are reaching 5-6 years worth achievements in 5-6 months with no core fandom and fall off within 1-2 years :| I miss earlier 4th gen days with Itzy and Gidle and early aespa when groups focused on gaining a fandom and not breaking achievements and stepping on the top group as motivation.

I blamed HYBE and i continue to blame them. They’re a virus that is ruining Kpop. Achievements are no longer impressive or fun, now it’s just false or in-genuine. Idols are no longer talented. They’re just pretty and get younger with each new gen . Songs and MV are getting shorter, idols are petrified to sing their own songs live :!:

• So who should jump over IVE for the #3 spot on this list?

3. New Jeans

4. IVE

5. G-idle

6. Le Ssarafim

7. ILLIT

8. Aespa

9. Red Velvet

And who should be #10

StayC or BabyMoster?

• By the end of the year/ next year a new set of girl groups will debut and New Jeans and IVE will have lost their spots. I said this in a previous thread :!: there’s no more stability in Kpop! One company doesn’t need 4-5 different girl groups :?: it’s ridiculous!

New jeans is not untouchable and will be replaced maybe by Illit maybe be another group. By next year with Smngg and Tngg and another HYBE and Jyp gg the order will change again. Newer group are reaching 5-6 years worth achievements in 5-6 months with no core fandom and fall off within 1-2 years :| I miss earlier 4th gen days with Itzy and Gidle and early aespa when groups focused on gaining a fandom and not breaking achievements and stepping on the top group as motivation.

I blamed HYBE and i continue to blame them. They’re a virus that is ruining Kpop. Achievements are no longer impressive or fun, now it’s just false or in-genuine. Idols are no longer talented. They’re just pretty and get younger with each new gen . Songs and MV are getting shorter, idols are petrified to sing their own songs live :!:

yeah this is very true, i'm very interested to see how things will turn out once more 5th gen groups are debuted. if top 4th gen groups immediately fall off it will be very telling of how this new method of debuting many groups and not allowing them to build up a fandom works.

i'm all for many groups because i love getting lots of songs but on the other hand it does really seem to be a problem

• I've just always thought the phrase "What have you done for me lately" is a good measure. Also the "You're only as popular as your last release". Or something along the lines of that.

Their 2 songs are top 3 on almost every chart in Korea and still rising, and they're surging up Spotify and Apple Music. They sold out both days of their Tokyo Dome concert before the general sale opened. Most recently, a reported 40,000 people attended their Chosun University Festival performance and an additional 20,000 people were barred entry.

Based on "What have you done for me lately?" rules, I think they're doing okay.

• Their 2 songs are top 3 on almost every chart in Korea and still rising, and they're surging up Spotify and Apple Music. They sold out both days of their Tokyo Dome concert before the general sale opened. Most recently, a reported 40,000 people attended their Chosun University Festival performance and an additional 20,000 people were barred entry.

Based on "What have you done for me lately?" rules, I think they're doing okay.

Yes they are doing ok but this is NJ we are talking about. Based on their previous success they are going in the wrong direction. Did Blackpink underperform in their 2nd and 3rd year like this? No they kept going higher and higher.

• Yes they are doing ok but this is NJ we are talking about. Based on their previous success they are going in the wrong direction. Did Blackpink underperform in their 2nd and 3rd year like this? No they kept going higher and higher.

I...I just said they sold out 110,000 seats at Tokyo Dome before ticket sales opened up to the general public, and you're just going to hand wave that away like it's an insignificant accomplishment? They're literally the fastest foreign act in the history of the Tokyo Dome itself to pull that off.

How is that not going higher? Especially when people spent literally all of 2023 telling me all their other stats weren't as important as touring numbers.

:meme-what:

• I...I just said they sold out 110,000 seats at Tokyo Dome before ticket sales opened up to the general public, and you're just going to hand wave that away like it's an insignificant accomplishment? They're literally the fastest foreign act in the history of the Tokyo Dome itself to pull that off.

How is that not going higher? Especially when people spent literally all of 2023 telling me all their other stats weren't as important as touring numbers.

:meme-what:

That's fine. I'm not gonna argue with you or anyone for 20 pages knowing no one is gonna change their opinion. You vote for IVE. Noted.

• Idt NJ has fallen off in less than a week. I hope people understand that after MHJ is removed, all Hybe had to say was that NJ is now under their wings, with a new management team in place, and all of their ifans supports will return eventually. The songs will be rising too globally, and next comeback will do much better in June. They have 2 songs in the Melon top 10, and at least 4 by next month, not really over as many make it seems.

IVE isn't doing that bad either to say they fell off. Baddie era didn't give them the momentum internationally, but they sold well and Heya is still top 5 right now.

• Yeah this is not only a fell off hard moment, is a confirmation that the peak newjeans reached was fabricated by their label through fraudulence: 50% drop in album sales, youtube views on nugu levels, spotify streams nowhere near the numbers they should have, this is nuts on so many levels. As I said on my thread their downfall on spotify US is for sure the worst thing that happened to a top group ever, their dominance in that area compared to their peers gave them a huge advantage and so much mediaplay and brand value and all is gone like nothing, so goodbye to their billboard hot 100 entries and high positions on billboard global 200.

Ive is down for sure but outside their spotify streams and youtube views they didn't suffer that much, their sales are the best example, and they have the possibility of repeaking just like aespa is doing. In the other hand with the mhj situation we can't even be sure newjeans won't get 5050 by the end of this year.

• Int Kpop fans already moved on to 5th gen… illit and baemon getting better streaming then all of 4th gen expect aespa

Could be

But there is also not base to determinate if bm and illit next cmb will do as well, not until they cmb

If it follow 4th gen path it's: a high debut with a even higher and bigger cmb, follow by a high cmb after than, LATER the cmb that follows after let people see if the bype it's long lasting

• Yes they are doing ok but this is NJ we are talking about. Based on their previous success they are going in the wrong direction. Did Blackpink underperform in their 2nd and 3rd year like this? No they kept going higher and higher.

But BP didn't have their own compagny going at war against them.

Why is no one talking about NJs extreme and shady situation and just focus on numbers only uh?

• But BP didn't have their own compagny going at war against them.

Why is no one talking about NJs extreme and shady situation and just focus on numbers uh?

I think most people do acknowledge NJ current situation. I know I do. Which is why I believe if Aespa does end up becoming the popular pick for biggest girl group of 4th gen it should come with an asterisk.

• Neither groups fell off. Ive just had a succesful world tour and their latest comeback moved a lot of units. New Jeans seem to be doing well in Korea and their latest comeback moved a lot of units. I just think there are some corrections happening with certain metrics in kpop

I have said his before. Gg fans tend to move on to the latest and greatest. Very few retain their fandom.

• This thread contains 56 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!