The long term effect of Hybe domination on big3

• As you know most idols either follow the step of their own idols, like for example Nmixx members are fans of Twice, Itzy, Miss A, Babymonster members are fans of Blackpink and so on, or simply go to the company where they think they have a higher chance to succeed.

And then there is Hybe, that basically consists of multiple small companies like Pledis, Source Music, Ador and etc. that operate independently and hold their own auditions. Therefore even though size wise JYP and YG are still top4, in terms of their attractiveness to trainees they are suddenly top10 because each sub label of Hybe ranks higher for potential trainees.

SM will be fine with Riize and Aespa, plus they have their own visual types that are unique to them. But YG and JYP will no longer have the "first look" like they used to and will have to work with "rejects".

Granted, former big3 "rejects" gave us many great groups under smaller companies but will YG and JYP be able to work the same way these agencies did? Not with their current business model I am afraid.

• I'm pretty sure JYP always got rejects Minion, nothing will change much for them

YG got the idols that have... "unconventional" looks, voice tones and style. Unless Hybe is suddenly desperate to find the 17269263829 G Dragon version (which I'm pretty sure they aren't) YG can keep them

SM is the one who is the most fucked, they used to be far and away the number 1 company for anybody who wanted to be idols. Specially on international side. It's hard to find any mid tier 3rd gen group who don't have at least one or two members who used to be SM trainees. Now they no longer will have this privilege

• I'm pretty sure JYP always got rejects Minion, nothing will change much for them

YG got the idols that have... "unconventional" looks, voice tones and style. Unless Hybe is suddenly desperate to find the 17269263829 G Dragon version (which I'm pretty sure they aren't) YG can keep them

SM is the one who is the most fucked, they used to be far and away the number 1 company for anybody who wanted to be idols. Specially on international side. It's hard to find any mid tier 3rd gen group who don't have at least one or two members who used to be SM trainees. Now they no longer will have this privilege

Are you literally trying to be contrarian on every single point I made? How come SM is most fucked when they are still pretty much in the competition with Hybe unlike the other two?

Also YG unconventional looks is so 2012, like get on with times.

I am not even gonna comment on your first bullshit, correct it before too late pepe-ooh

• From all the things HYBE's dominance might affect other agencies, this would be one of the least problems. For It to happen, HYBE would've been to be debuting all the top idols in terms of talent, attractiveness and/or star power, when in fact... most of the their groups, on averange, aren't any better in said categories than BIG3 groups or even groups from mid-tier companies.

An agency having a HYBE "reject" is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes the trainee might be amazing, but just didn't fit the plans and image said sub-labels stabilized previously for their groups.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• What are the odds that Hybe eventually buys JYP? I don't want them to buy out JYP, but just curious if other folks think it's a possibility.

I mean why would they? It is such a mess to fix. Buying small companies and changing their culture is easy. With bigger companies you need more time, effort and resources.

• YG has the leaat concern of the big 3.

Not because they're not on a downturn but because their business portfolio is a lot stronger than the other two

YG's distribution and Actor's ventures laps basically anything the other two are doing.

JYP is imcredibly risk averse but they're basically doing business as usual.

On its face, SM is in the best place, due to how successful riize and Aespa are... but just like YG, SM has had a huge amount of talent drain infrastructure wise and they've yet to replace it.

• Yeaaah, according to JK 7 other agencies have been chasing him yet he went with BH, not buying it sorry.

Dreamer, it doesn't matter what you think (flop opinions) but how the outcome came to be that Bighit ended up being this monster Hybe. :pepe-hehe:

• Idols are leaving SM left and right. Even Wendy is telling people not to join SM. SM is a sinking ship and they know it.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What are the odds that Hybe eventually buys JYP? I don't want them to buy out JYP, but just curious if other folks think it's a possibility.

Even though the stock price is technically not overvalued and not expensive relative to the company's earnings, i still dont see anyone wanting to buy the company.

JYP doesnt have any prospects for the future. They dont seem to be as diversified as Hybe, SM-KAKAO, etc. Once Twice's extension ends in 2025, what is the future for JYP? NMIXX and Itzy have plateaued as has SKZ in terms of streams and album sales. :pepe-shrug:

• Even though the stock price is technically not overvalued and not expensive relative to the company's earnings, i still dont see anyone wanting to buy the company.

JYP doesnt have any prospects for the future. They dont seem to be as diversified as Hybe, SM-KAKAO, etc. Once Twice's extension ends in 2025, what is the future for JYP? NMIXX and Itzy have plateaued as has SKZ in terms of streams and album sales.

I suppose the thought came to me because Bang Sihyuk bailed out Source Music, which also only had a handful of groups and was a bit stagnant. So there's some precedent for bailing out friends.

JYP is the weaker of the big 3, right now they mostly depend on Twice and SK. It is kind of over for them as soon as either of them leaves.

The other groups can't compensate for the money the main acts bring.

I imagine hybe would have bought them, but since JYPE still is so over-evaluated, there is no way it would be worth it for them, even if they have the money.

• I suppose the thought came to me because Bang Sihyuk bailed out Source Music, which also only had a handful of groups and was a bit stagnant. So there's some precedent for bailing out friends.

For sure. I think if JYP stock cratered back to its pandemic lows of 20k from its current 72k price, or went even lower in a death spiral...i could see Bang handing out a lifeline to his former boss and the one that presumably gave Bang the experience necessary to run his own company...

I think Kpop eventually consolidates under 2 conglomerates at most so JYP to me will either be subsumed by Hybe or by SM-Kakao.

• I mean why would they? It is such a mess to fix. Buying small companies and changing their culture is easy. With bigger companies you need more time, effort and resources.

They did try to buy SM

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!