Are BAD Encore Stages A Big Deal In Kpop?

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I like this guy videos. Here, he talks about LSF and their unfamous encores

• No. Live singing is trash in this era anyways, with autotune, nobody cares about hitting the right notes, the computer literally fixes every missed note.

People piling on LSRFM but every idol group can be torn apart for vocals, and that includes all the so called "great" vocalists like the randos from Gfriend, EXO, Wendy, Seulgi, etc etc.

Like just listen to any Kpop encore and compare it to what vocals used to sound like in pop music when i was a boy . You can see why most of us boomers just laugh our asses off when these arguments about vocals start flaring up in the Kpop or local pop space. It's like arguing about Big Macs vs Whoppers, while we're used to eating filet mignon from a 3 star Michelin restaurant.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yeah yeah. Wendy and Exo are bad now, LMAO, do you read yourself before posting? Sure, Wendy is not Whitney Houston, but believe me, she is closer to Whitney than LSF main vocalist to Wendy.
    But you are right about this, the big audience dont care about live singing.

• No. Live singing is trash in this era anyways, with autotune, nobody cares about hitting the right notes, the computer literally fixes every missed note.

People piling on LSRFM but every idol group can be torn apart for vocals, and that includes all the so called "great" vocalists like the randos from Gfriend, EXO, Wendy, Seulgi, etc etc.

Kinda agree with the first part, BUT the rest is not true. I mean, sure a lot of people hating on Le Sserafim, but they deserved the FAIR CRITICISM for their encore performance. That's all, but those groups that you mentioned already proved themselves are real artists and talented vocalists, unlike LSF. That's the big problem here. They should give their all, because they didn't prove anything, basically. They're still rookies.

I like his vids too, he's one of the few real vocal reviewer on Youtube who don't give a damn, just say what he thinks.

Yeah, Wendy is not Whitney Houston, but believe me, she is most close to Whitney than LSF main vocalist to Wendy.

Wendy is no Whitney that's for sure, totally different singer, and there's reason why people say Solar is the Korean Whitney Houston.

Pre-debut vs Years later! For the record, even Solar is not close to WH, but she's probably the closest in the Kpop Idol business. THIS should be the standards, honestly, and she's just one example, I could mention many others, too, like EXO.

External Content youtu.be

• I think it benefits the group. Its a few days in which the group owns that news cycle for free, and everyone is talking about them for those couple of days.

Look at Twice. Didn't hurt them.

It didn't seem to hurt Lsf.

Its like the Kardashians. Any publicity is good publicity.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some groups will deliberately throw an encore from now on.

• No. They are very casual and idols are usually emotional. It’s not going to sound like a normal live song. I don’t see how anyone could care about the quality.

• Bad encore stages to me fall under the category storm-in-a-teacup drama: something that K-pop fans and netizens fuss about, but really isn't worth all the fake outrage or hyper attention that it seems to get every time.

Doesn't mean that I don't have my preferences: it saddens me, and I really mourn the loss and almost-purposeful discarding of skills and strengths that used to be core values in the earliest gens like 2nd gen - like variety skills, and being able to dance and sing live in a stable way at the same time and still be able to dance and sing great.

And I really love it when K-pop artists are able to confidently, visibly enjoy themselves but still go all out and also adlib or vary their song lines, like in encores or other live occasions.

But I also recognize that those are things that just aren't a main focus anymore in the past years. Nothing ever stays the same, the world keeps changing and that also applies to K-pop. It is what it is. Every era has its pros and cons, its strengths and weaknesses, its horrors and beauties.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Sure, Wendy is not Whitney Houston, but believe me, she is closer to Whitney than LSF main vocalist to Wendy.

Wendy is no Whitney that's for sure, totally different singer, and there's reason why people say Solar is the Korean Whitney Houston.

Pre-debut vs Years later! For the record, even Solar is not close to WH, but she's probably the closest in the Kpop Idol business. THIS should be the standards, honestly, and she's just one example, I could mention many others, too, like EXO.

Well, Wendy actually did do a truly outstanding Whitney Houston song performance here:

External Content youtu.be

I agree though, it'd be great if live performances and outstanding vocalists would be more prevalent, or at least more common than it is now, in this 4th gen era.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Well, Wendy actually did do a truly outstanding Whitney Houston song performance here:

To be fair, even tho this is live, she practiced for this for a long time, probably, but her other performance at her birthday party was a totally random performance. That was for fun, that's why it didn't sound like this. But still, it wasn't bad, just average, especially compared to her. Compared to some other Idols, that was still above them.

• Yeah, BAD encore stages in Kpop can be a big deal. It's like the final performance after a music show win, and fans expect the artists to bring their A-game. Sometimes things go wrong - slips, forgotten choreo, or technical glitches. Remember when EXO's Chanyeol fell during an encore stage? It went viral. So yeah, while not the end of the world, BAD encore stages can leave a mark in Kpop history.

• External Content www.youtube.com

It is an old relic of 1980s music shows when it was customary for the #1 singer of the week to sing an encore for the audience.

In 2020s it is a bad custom which has to go away

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!