BLACKPINK ON HIATUS ... HOW ARE YOU GUYS DOING...

• it's taking a while but this may be good news, maybe YG will actually negotiate with lisa in good faith this time.

i'm anxious about the contract news too because i hate it being all up in the air, but i'm pretty confident blackpink isn't going anywhere.

they're far too iconic and there's no decline in sight, it would be insane for a disbandment or indefinite hiatus given how much value the name has.

• again as always

if they all renew great

if they don't great

they will always be BP even if they don't - it's not like suddenly one of the biggest names/brands in kpop is just going to disappear

• 2NE1 did. The girls (and YG) need to play their cards right during these negotiations. Their place in the industry isn't as immune to failure as people think it is just because they're huge right now. And that's no shade to anyone, it's just the nature of the beast.

• 2NE1 did. The girls (and YG) need to play their cards right during these negotiations. Their place in the industry isn't as immune to failure as people think it is just because they're huge right now. And that's no shade to anyone, it's just the nature of the beast.

they aren't immune but what I'm saying is the brand will still be there

there will still be a BP even if it's outside of YG or within YG but the members don't renew with YG

they still have brand deals as BP that may or may not continue

with all due respect to 2ne1 would I be correct in saying BP is much bigger now than 2ne1 was when they were forced to disband??? (I wasn't around back then)

• they aren't immune but what I'm saying is the brand will still be there

there will still be a BP even if it's outside of YG or within YG but the members don't renew with YG

they still have brand deals as BP that may or may not continue

with all due respect to 2ne1 would I be correct in saying BP is much bigger now than 2ne1 was when they were forced to disband??? (I wasn't around back then)

I really don't know if there will be a BP if they leave. YG owns the rights to their name, branding and music. Any other company would have to buy all that from YG if all the members decided to switch companies and that's a HUGE amount of money considering how big BP are.

As for 2NE1 - it's complicated. They weren't as big when you look at numbers, no. But, for the time and the state of K-pop internationally then, they absolutely were the equivalent. Put it this way - if 2NE1 were the 3rd gen group, rather than the other way around, they'd be where BP are today. K-pop's gotten bigger overall. It's the same thing with BigBang and BTS.

• I really don't know if there will be a BP if they leave. YG owns the rights to their name, branding and music. Any other company would have to buy all that from YG if all the members decided to switch companies and that's a HUGE amount of money considering how big BP are.

As for 2NE1 - it's complicated. They weren't as big when you look at numbers, no. But, for the time and the state of K-pop internationally then, they absolutely were the equivalent. Put it this way - if 2NE1 were the 3rd gen group, rather than the other way around, they'd be where BP are today. K-pop's gotten bigger overall. It's the same thing with BigBang and BTS.

but BP without the members isn't BP - you can "remove" the members from BP and try to capitalize on the name along with the members - sure all the trademarks and whatnot are with YG but they are effectively useless with the members being there (or elsewhere) as BP no?

like you can't have a cf or song or collab or anything if the members aren't there to promote undertake the work as BP right?

right so you're saying that whilst in absolute terms BP are bigger now than 2ne1 was at that time but relatively you would also say that 2ne1 was about the same as BP was relative to the other kpop groups at that time correct?

• but BP without the members isn't BP - you can "remove" the members from BP and try to capitalize on the name along with the members - sure all the trademarks and whatnot are with YG but they are effectively useless with the members being there (or elsewhere) as BP no?

like you can't have a cf or song or collab or anything if the members aren't there to promote undertake the work as BP right?

right so you're saying that whilst in absolute terms BP are bigger now than 2ne1 was at that time but relatively you would also say that 2ne1 was about the same as BP was relative to the other kpop groups at that time correct?

I just mean that at least some of the members would have to stay in YG for there to be a BP. Unless they have something worked out with The Black Label, which is possible (like YG getting 20% of everything they make under TBL for example). Because no other company would buy BP as a whole, it's just way too expensive. They'll offer members deals like they're doing with Lisa, but I doubt they'd try to buy the whole group.

And yes, that's exactly what I mean about 2NE1.

• Put it this way - if 2NE1 were the 3rd gen group, rather than the other way around, they'd be where BP are today. K-pop's gotten bigger overall. It's the same thing with BigBang and BTS.

It's stupid to think this way. Kpop did not get this big by itself. BTS made it popular. If not for BTS, kpop wouldn't have gotten this big at all...

The only thing BigBang did was to follow other groups in the markets they broke out in i.e. TVXQ in Japan and China, SuJu in SEA. Just like all the other YGE groups. Unlike BigBang, BTS themselves broke out in the west and paved the way for kpop to grow big. So to think BigBang who actually did nothing much to grow the "2nd gen" would have made kpop popular if they were "3rd gen" group is totally stupid.

Yes 2NE1 would have been as big as Blackpink if they were a "3rd gen" group because they would have gotten the advantage of being in the same gen as BTS. You can compare 2NE1 & BlackPink because they come from the same company and kind of replaceable to each other. But you cannot compare BTS and Big Bang. They are totally different.

• It's stupid to think this way. Kpop did not get this big by itself. BTS made it popular. If not for BTS, kpop wouldn't have gotten this big at all...

The only thing BigBang did was to follow other groups in the markets they broke out in i.e. TVXQ in Japan and China, SuJu in SEA. Just like all the other YGE groups. Unlike BigBang, BTS themselves broke out in the west and paved the way for kpop to grow big. So to think BigBang who actually did nothing much to grow the "2nd gen" would have made kpop popular if they were "3rd gen" group is totally stupid.

Yes 2NE1 would have been as big as Blackpink if they were a "3rd gen" group because they would have gotten the advantage of being in the same gen as BTS. You can compare 2NE1 & BlackPink because they come from the same company and kind of replaceable to each other. But you cannot compare BTS and Big Bang. They are totally different.

Are you being serious? So Gangnam Style didn't happen? So BigBang and 2NE1 collabing with huge names in the US music industry didn't happen? So Wonder Girls and Girls Generation making moves in the US didn't happen? All before BTS?

Yes, BTS have had a huge impact and have played a big part in popularising the genre but the rewriting of history and making out like other people before them didn't pave the way is just disrespectful and ridiculous.

c o p e

20230919-041924.gif

• So to think BigBang who actually did nothing much to grow the "2nd gen" would have made kpop popular if they were "3rd gen" group is totally stupid.

Suga would be sad to hear that. Do you watch Suchwita?

"BIGBANG practically made BTS.." BTS' Suga becomes starstruck in front of Taeyang
    Taeyang appeared as a guest on the 3rd episode of Suga's talk show 'SuchWiTa' which was released on January 18.On this episode, T…
    www.allkpop.com

"We can't talk about Korean music history without BIGBANG. You left a huge legacy. There are so many young singers running forward after watching you. So I hope that you keep on performing forever. Please don't retire." - Suga-shi

• Are you being serious? So Gangnam Style didn't happen? So BigBang and 2NE1 collabing with huge names in the US music industry didn't happen? So Wonder Girls and Girls Generation making moves in the US didn't happen? All before BTS?

Yes, BTS have had a huge impact and have played a big part in popularising the genre but the rewriting of history and making out like other people before them didn't pave the way is just disrespectful and ridiculous.

I'm not saying others didn't do anything before. Psy, Rain, Wonder Girls, SNSD and even 2NE1 deserve plaudits for what they did. But BigBang actually did nothing for kpop in the west. They did not even do anything to grow kpop in Asia let alone outside Asia. It was TVXQ, SuJu, SNSD doing all the hard work and BigBang just followed them. Just like how Blackpink followed BTS when they broke out internationally. So to compare BTS and BigBang and think BigBang would have been this generation's BTS is laughable.

Like I said above 2NE1 and BP are replaceable to each other, BTS and BigBang are not.

Suga would be sad to hear that. Do you watch Suchwita?

https://www.allkpop.com/articl…ng-and-cant-stop-admiring

"We can't talk about Korean music history without BIGBANG. You left a huge legacy. There are so many young singers running forward after watching you. So I hope that you keep on performing forever. Please don't retire." - Suga-shi

What he is saying is true. I myself consider BigBang as the 3rd biggest kpop group of all time and the biggest YGE group ever. They were really popular in Korea and lots of Koreans like them but it doesn't change the fact that BigBang did nothing to grow kpop by themselves. They and YGE were smart to follow when others opened up the markets for kpop just like how YGE did with BP following BTS...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!